Brexit plan to limit players from abroad

My initial response would be not a cat in hells chance of that ever happening or even a compromise as it would hurt the cash cow that is the Premier league but given the decisions the people in charge regularly make, I wouldn't put it beyond them to actually go for this before realising it's a terrible mistake 2/3 years down the line when the money dries up and begging for it to be reverted.

If in some crazy scenario it did happen, it wouldn't make England better, it would simply weaken the league, destroy any ability to compete in europe, and create a new market whereby youth team teenagers would be going for tens of millions of pounds as all teams scramble to get the best academy prospects. In league terms, it wouldn't damage us much, we have the best English talent, we have the best academy and best facilities and most money to buy anybody we miss once they develop,

Didn't the England national team have one of its most successful periods ever when the rule of 3 overseas players as a maximum was allowed
in circa 1996?

Not really. We did ok at a home tournament. Anywhere else and we'd have been knocked out in the group. We got battered by Spain and we're lucky to get to the semi final.

Club teams in Europe didn't start doing well consistently until the rule was relaxed.

If it would harm City, but help Utd, Liverpool etc, then they would do it in a heartbeat, but it would actually hurt them more than it would hurt us, as our manager can get half the reserve team playing better pass & move football than they can do with a team of internationals, so it will be a non starter & probably hasn't even been proposed.

I asked this question in the Brexit thread but (unsurprisingly) couldn't get a reply. I'll try here:

So you Brexiteers are prepared to suffer a recession for your cause. You're prepared to become isolated in our own continent. You're prepared to spend untold billions of the country's money just to rebuilt an infrastructure which is already there and paid for. You're prepared to risk the breakup of the United Kingdom, and you've already given us years of political uncertainty and paralysis.

I'm not saying there's any truth in this article, but if there was, would you also accept the demise of Manchester City on the European stage for your "freedom"?

Dave, this has nothing to do with Brexit. The UK government might be messing things up with the negotiations but they have never said we should restrict the number of Johnny Foreigners' within our teams. Further now matter what you think of the EU they have never said anything either. This is a proposal by our own stupid FA. If we ever leave Brexit our politicians have far more things to wory about than whether David Silva can still play for us.

England have reached number five in the world rankings and we have better youngsters than for decades because of the influence of overseas coaches and players in our Premier League. Now the bungling fools at the FA want to destroy all that progress because of xenophic hysteria from the dinosaurs of football. Never underestimate the stupidity of the men in blazers.

It would be hilarious to have finally got the system working, or very close to, then tear it up because of some misguided idea.

Dave, this has nothing to do with Brexit. The UK government might be messing things up with the negotiations but they have never said we should restrict the number of Johnny Foreigners' within our teams. Further now matter what you think of the EU they have never said anything either. This is a proposal by our own stupid FA. If we ever leave Brexit our politicians have far more things to wory about than whether David Silva can still play for us.
Irrespective of what the FA do mate, work permits could become a problem as they are now for non EU players.

The foreign players are one of the things that makes the Premier League the most popular league around the world. I lived in Morocco during last season, and all I ever heard was people banging on about Mo Salah, in a country where La Liga is historically more popular. And he's not even from Morocco. I wonder what effect he's had on on the viewing habits of the nearly 100 million people living in Egypt.
There can still be 12 foreign players per club. That's 240 in total. Unless there are additional rules being set the entire starting 11 could still feature a foreign XI.

If anything it stops clubs from buying mediocre foreign players because there are fewer spots they can take up. So people on here don't have to worry about seeing the likes of Salah, Silva, De Gea et al leave. It's all of the foreign players who are bang average that are going to get thrown overboard.

There can still be 12 foreign players per club. That's 240 in total. Unless there are additional rules being set the entire starting 11 could still feature a foreign XI.

If anything it stops clubs from buying mediocre foreign players because there are fewer spots they can take up. So people on here don't have to worry about seeing the likes of Salah, Silva, De Gea et al leave. It's all of the foreign players who are bang average that are going to get thrown overboard.
Yes, but they only buy these "mediocre foreign players" because they are better in most aspects of their ability than their British counterparts. And they cost a lot less.
Why should I buy a British car for £30K when I can get my Skoda Superb top of the range car for £23K? It has all the functions of a British car, but with a far better spec.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.