Brexit plan to limit players from abroad

Didn't the England national team have one of its most successful periods ever when the rule of 3 overseas players as a maximum was allowed
in circa 1996?
Yeah those were the days mate and didn't Celtic win the European Cup in 1967 with all the players bar one in their 15 man squad born within 10 miles of Celtic Park Glasgow ? ( Bobbie Lennox was born 30 miles away).

Yeah those were the days mate and didn't Celtic win the European Cup in 1967 with all the players bar one in their 15 man squad born within 10 miles of Celtic Park Glasgow ? ( Bobbie Lennox was born 30 miles away).
And weren't we the last team with an all-English side to win the league a year later?
Anyway, back on my bike to go up that fucking steep hill to go and get the Hovis.

Irrespective of what the FA do mate, work permits could become a problem as they are now for non EU players.

I accept that but I think it is wrong for Didsbury to bring what is basically an off topic political thread into this forum and this thread. This has nothing to do with how anyone voted. This is an idea (at this stage that is all it is) that is to be discussed by the football leaders. It is a stupid idea but it has nothing to do with May, Merkel or anone else involved in Brexit.

Homegrown rule is currently being challenged in the European courts but we will be out of Europe so the result won’t apply to us.

The FA incorrectly thinking this will improve the national team (no evidence to suggest quantity =quality) are saying we can sign who we want but only 12 players rather than 17.

The PL are meeting to decide what they think. The alternative is to keep 17 but the rules that apply to non Europeans will also apply to Europeans.

I think the latter will cause less disruption as most get through on appeal anyway. So I hope the PL reject.

It might make clubs use there academies a little more and better than they do now, there’s nothing better than seeing a lad who’s come through the academy making it, Id take that over a Wilfred Bony or Mangala any day of the week, it might mean only the very best foreign players come in and it might also make it viable for a lower level Prem team to compete at the top, especially if they have a good crop of youngsters coming through

The young British talent is there as we all know, and I’m not just talking City here,
but it’s being blocked by average foreign imports from the Prem down so I would like to see how it went
Also someone said we would would be second best in European Comps, we aren’t exactly smashing it now, theirs only us who look like qualifying comfortably from the group stages as it is and English teams record over the last few years in Europe isn’t any better than any other big nations records even with an open door policy

Yes, but they only buy these "mediocre foreign players" because they are better in most aspects of their ability than their British counterparts. And they cost a lot less.
Why should I buy a British car for £30K when I can get my Skoda Superb top of the range car for £23K? It has all the functions of a British car, but with a far better spec.
So who would you rather see in our squad Mangala or Tosin?...

So who would you rather see in our squad Mangala or Tosin?...
Is that a rhetorical question?
I want to see the best players in our squad irrespective of their nationality. Mangala was a bad buy, no doubt about it. Whilst Tosin is an Academy graduate, I don't think he has (or will have) the necessary attributes to be a regular member of the current squad. Sad, but in the grand scheme of things that's the way it is and always has been.
To return to your original question based on my comments above - neither.

Yes, but they only buy these "mediocre foreign players" because they are better in most aspects of their ability than their British counterparts. And they cost a lot less.
Why should I buy a British car for £30K when I can get my Skoda Superb top of the range car for £23K? It has all the functions of a British car, but with a far better spec.
English clubs have more money so can hold out for higher fees when selling.

Anyway, we shouldn't have to be buying. We have an academy worth 200m quid. Surely that should be able to make a few decent players (see Sancho and Phil: Player of the euros and player of the world cup 2017).

Complete load of bollocks this.. Another made up stocking filler story without a single shred of meat on the bone... PEG probably slipped this into the media as a better deflection tactic than stating his players were mentally and physically tired as the reason his shithouse team were annihilated by City....

Is that a rhetorical question?
I want to see the best players in our squad irrespective of their nationality. Mangala was a bad buy, no doubt about it. Whilst Tosin is an Academy graduate, I don't think he has (or will have) the necessary attributes to be a regular member of the current squad. Sad, but in the grand scheme of things that's the way it is and always has been.
To return to your original question based on my comments above - neither.
Fair enough, but what about if the signing of the likes of Mangala, Nolito, Navas, Bony etc etc prevented a decent youth player coming through, who given game time could become a regular.....we should be looking at signing only the best, which to be fair we have been doing recently but haven’t done so in the past, there are to many second rate foreign imports who aren’t cheap either preventing young players coming through, at every club, and it needs sorting out weather the proposed idea is the one I don’t know but it’s a start

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.