Should jobs like police officer have fitness levels?

Which is fine when a Guardsman's only job is to stand outside Buck House and have ceremonial duties. However on a real job in Kandahar or Basra these basketball players can't get a bloody section (8 men) into a warrior. Size is irrelevant. It's not the Sultan of Brunei's Pakistani guard here. They have a proper job to do. So you recruit anyone, just keep them off ceremonial duties. On another point why does it look ridiculous? It's simply because you are conditioned to seeing them tall - would you say to a 5 foot 5 SAS soldier they look stupid in their sand beret? I doubt it.

An ex-Airborne Royal Signals Warrant Officer - 5 foot 6 in his cuban heels
216 Signal Squadron?

Which is fine when a Guardsman's only job is to stand outside Buck House and have ceremonial duties. However on a real job in Kandahar or Basra these basketball players can't get a bloody section (8 men) into a warrior. Size is irrelevant. It's not the Sultan of Brunei's Pakistani guard here. They have a proper job to do. So you recruit anyone, just keep them off ceremonial duties. On another point why does it look ridiculous? It's simply because you are conditioned to seeing them tall - would you say to a 5 foot 5 SAS soldier they look stupid in their sand beret? I doubt it.

An ex-Airborne Royal Signals Warrant Officer - 5 foot 6 in his cuban heels
I suspect a 5 foot 6 SAS soldier won’t have done the kind of duties that I am referring to. He I expect would of been weeded out for more challenging roles. The fact remains a shorter man wearing a bearskin in my opinion doesn’t look the part.

I suspect a 5 foot 6 SAS soldier won’t have done the kind of duties that I am referring to. He I expect would of been weeded out for more challenging roles. The fact remains a shorter man wearing a bearskin in my opinion doesn’t look the part.

Which is why when every other Corps or Arms in the Army does Ceremonial Duties have a height requirement - I didn't make it in 1989 when the Royal Signals did it as I am a shortarse but you can't stop them joining

For those saying if you can’t do the job due to physical ailment it’s almost impossible to be pensioned off on ill health they now sack you on capability instead as it’s cheaper. Yes years ago people took the piss and reached a magic time served in the fire service of 26 1/2 years got a bad back out on ill health full pension. Nowadays you would be sacked for not been capable of doing the job, even if the injury has taken place at work, unless they are feeling very generous.
They want firefighters to work to 60 you have to achieve a VO2 max of 42, research has shown to achieve this you would have to join at the age of 20 with an Olympic standard VO2 max as no matter how fit you keep yourself age will catch you up. Niggling injuries as you get older can prevent you training and fitness decreases, sadly the pen pushers who work behind desks never experience this, it’s like raising the state pension age, how many manual jobs, joiners, labourers etc can be expected to work until then?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.