Should jobs like police officer have fitness levels?

Then the pension scheme should be constructed accordingly, not abused.
The pension scheme was changed-for many with families and mortgages half way through their service, meaning they have to work another 20-30 years for the same money. Its a mentally and physically demanding role. People give up their own freedom to give service often at great risk. I pay £700 a month into my pension -something that is always glossed over when the media want to knock the police-I have had officers shot and others take their own lives and seen things most can't even imagine, and things that stay with me.

I am very proud of what I do and the people I work with. Some may be a little unfit and worn out-shift work, fast food, stress-none of it great for the health and the body. But neither should they be kicked out because they are no longer as fit as they once were.

The pension scheme was changed-for many with families and mortgages half way through their service, meaning they have to work another 20-30 years for the same money. Its a mentally and physically demanding role. People give up their own freedom to give service often at great risk. I pay £700 a month into my pension -something that is always glossed over when the media want to knock the police-I have had officers shot and others take their own lives and seen things most can't even imagine, and things that stay with me.

I am very proud of what I do and the people I work with. Some may be a little unfit and worn out-shift work, fast food, stress-none of it great for the health and the body. But neither should they be kicked out because they are no longer as fit as they once were.

Yeah mate, even Jan Molby got a game until the end.

You’re personally paying in £8,400 p.a. ? Surely that’s not a typical figure?

Btw, I’m not devaluing the job. No way. I was commenting on the pension scheme and on historical abuses, which @Blue Maverick has confirmed is a thing of the past.

Good post,and i can vouch for all of that as fact.

You’re personally paying in £8,400 p.a. ? Surely that’s not a typical figure?

Btw, I’m not devaluing the job. No way. I was commenting on the pension scheme and on historical abuses, which @Blue Maverick has confirmed is a thing of the past.
Fair enough-medical retirement is almost unheard of nowadays. I still contribute under the old scheme-so people in my position will be paying hundreds a month towards their pension, irrespective of rank. I'm not a pc.

Fair enough-medical retirement is almost unheard of nowadays. I still contribute under the old scheme-so people in my position will be paying hundreds a month towards their pension, irrespective of rank. I'm not a pc.
I’m paying in £380 a month as a firefighter, nearly 15% of my wage, they changed the pension scheme for those already in it illegally which has just been won in court, which saw because of age people penalised and losing 10,000s of pounds and working years longer, I’m in total agreement with bert38, the shit we and other emergency services see and do, it seems ridiculous to be working to the ages been quoted. I am however in agreement that people in these jobs should keep themselves fit enough to do the job.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who serves the public good. It is getting to be an increasingly difficult job in England and you are to be applauded.

Secondly, I’m not sure how your pension changed, or why, but as a private sector worker, my company simply went into reorganization, dropped off the pensions with a quasi-govt organization and washed their hands of a $7.1 BILLION pension program. After 9 years, I had $2,000 of cash and $170,000 of company stock (from an Employee Stock Ownership Plan that started before I got hired). When the company declared bankruptcy, the $170,000 turned into $2,000, for a grand total of $4,000 (£3,000) after 9 yrs and no company pension! Do began the long slow climb to rebuild a career and retirement, which continues to this day, of course.

After 23.5 yrs, I have enough saved to be at about 1/4 of what I would have had, with 10 yrs to my mandatory retirement date.

The pension system in the private sector has broken down completely in the US, while the public sector pension system has “flourished” for the workers ON PAPER, but is crippling state pension funds. I live in Illinois, which, if it were a company, would have declared bankruptcy and folded years ago! So, my taxes continue to go up to cover public pension shortfalls, while I’m also expected to save a large chunk of my paycheck to try to get back what was taken from me.

Maybe I should have been a teacher, or a copper, because taxes will always apparently be around to pay out, even if it is a virtual Ponzi scheme!

And, to get back to the OP, YES, police officers should be required to maintain a certain level of fitness for duty. I have to have a medical every 6 mos to fly, because of public safety, even though there is always another fully qualified pilot sitting to my right. Why should it be different for public safety officers who are supposed to serve and protect the public from all and sundry at a moments notice?

FWIW, in the States, soldiers, policemen and firefighters get a FULL pension after 20 years, so many of them “retire” in their early 40s, only to then double dip (pension & paycheck) by starting another government job to get ANOTHER 20 years in before they get to normal retirement age and retire on two pensions. Very common for people in the services to get a teaching certificate, get Christmas and Summers off, while getting paid $100,000 pension AND $100,000 teacher pay, which they basically keep ($200,000) throughout their entire retirement.

As an aside, at 4% ROI, you would need to amass $5,000,000 in retirement funds to spin off $200,000 per year...yet it is all backed by the full faith and credit of the Government, not the whims of the stock market, like everyone else!

Last edited:
And, to get back to the OP, YES, police officers should be required to maintain a certain level of fitness for duty. I have to have a medical every 6 mos to fly, because of public safety, even though there is always another fully qualified pilot sitting to my right. Why should it be different for public safety officers who are supposed to serve and protect the public from all and sundry at a moments notice?

Personal pride and the desire/need to to be as fit as possible to give you an advantage should be enough of a reason,i agree.However,the Govt is only paying these officers 30k to endure the daily shit they have to put up with.I suspect you are on at least double that wage?

My point is,as previously stated,the pay and conditions are the main reason that quality officers are difficult to attract or retain.

Personal pride and the desire/need to to be as fit as possible to give you an advantage should be enough of a reason,i agree.However,the Govt is only paying these officers 30k to endure the daily shit they have to put up with.I suspect you are on at least double that wage?

My point is,as previously stated,the pay and conditions are the main reason that quality officers are difficult to attract or retain.
its 19k for those joining now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.