Should jobs like police officer have fitness levels?

Yes,i know training wages are a fucking disgrace.I think my 30k estimate is about right for an officer of 5 years? please correct me if wrong.
i think the pay increments were reduced-but that prob still 10 years to get to top level pc

Firstly, thank you to everyone who serves the public good. It is getting to be an increasingly difficult job in England and you are to be applauded.

Secondly, I’m not sure how your pension changed, or why, but as a private sector worker, my company simply went into reorganization, dropped off the pensions with a quasi-govt organization and washed their hands of a $7.1 BILLION pension program. After 9 years, I had $2,000 of cash and $170,000 of company stock (from an Employee Stock Ownership Plan that started before I got hired). When the company declared bankruptcy, the $170,000 turned into $2,000, for a grand total of $4,000 (£3,000) after 9 yrs and no company pension! Do began the long slow climb to rebuild a career and retirement, which continues to this day, of course.

After 23.5 yrs, I have enough saved to be at about 1/4 of what I would have had, with 10 yrs to my mandatory retirement date.

The pension system in the private sector has broken down completely in the US, while the public sector pension system has “flourished” for the workers ON PAPER, but is crippling state pension funds. I live in Illinois, which, if it were a company, would have declared bankruptcy and folded years ago! So, my taxes continue to go up to cover public pension shortfalls, while I’m also expected to save a large chunk of my paycheck to try to get back what was taken from me.

Maybe I should have been a teacher, or a copper, because taxes will always apparently be around to pay out, even if it is a virtual Ponzi scheme!

And, to get back to the OP, YES, police officers should be required to maintain a certain level of fitness for duty. I have to have a medical every 6 mos to fly, because of public safety, even though there is always another fully qualified pilot sitting to my right. Why should it be different for public safety officers who are supposed to serve and protect the public from all and sundry at a moments notice?

FWIW, in the States, soldiers, policemen and firefighters get a FULL pension after 20 years, so many of them “retire” in their early 40s, only to then double dip (pension & paycheck) by starting another government job to get ANOTHER 20 years in before they get to normal retirement age and retire on two pensions. Very common for people in the services to get a teaching certificate, get Christmas and Summers off, while getting paid $100,000 pension AND $100,000 teacher pay, which they basically keep ($200,000) throughout their entire retirement.

As an aside, at 4% ROI, you would need to amass $5,000,000 in retirement funds to spin off $200,000 per year...yet it is all backed by the full faith and credit of the Government, not the whims of the stock market, like everyone else!

Some agencies require you to work 25 years, if you join up before the age of 30 and 20 years if you start after 30, to receive a pension.

I know a guy who will have 30+ years of service whose pension won't be anywhere near $100k. I guess he is busting his arse in the wrong place.

Teachers are paid $100k in Illinois? I reside in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation and teachers' salaries are a few k over $65,000. If that $100,000 figure is correct I'm surprised more teachers don't want to work there.

its 19k for those joining now
That's a disgrace. Does the pay rise significantly after a few years?

New York City P.D. tried something similar maybe over a decade ago. If I recall correctly, new hires were to be paid approximately $20k AND had to live within NYC as opposed to being able to commute to work from New Jersey, Connecticut (both not much cheaper) or Pennsylvania ( much less expensive).

The city scrapped the plan as it had trouble attracting good people for the job. 20,000 USD in New York City, even outside of Manhattan, doesn't stretch very far.

The standards of the police have fallen because of their pay? The starting wage of £20k at training level isn't too bad and a constable can earn nearly £39k as a basic salary, that's comparable with starting pay from other services. There was a time not long ago that most coppers came from the community they served and a university degree was unheard of for those in service the force was professionalised and from that point it has gone down the pan IMO.
Getting paid less doesn't make you unfit it doesn't make you wince at the thought of exersize. This isn't to say that it's not a difficult job it probably is but let's not accept bad policing just because they believe themselves to be underpaid.

Some agencies require you to work 25 years, if you join up before the age of 30 and 20 years if you start after 30, to receive a pension.

I know a guy who will have 30+ years of service whose pension won't be anywhere near $100k. I guess he is busting his arse in the wrong place.

Teachers are paid $100k in Illinois? I reside in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation and teachers' salaries are a few k over $65,000. If that $100,000 figure is correct I'm surprised more teachers don't want to work there.
We have a good friend who teaches German. She makes $90k+ and has years to retirement. School district is very important!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.