Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did this happen? Are you referring to the one that his shot was blocked for a corner around 5 minutes before ht? Don't recall this headed chance????

No. He'd mostly stopped running by then.

Early on the plan was Gundogan making runs through the Trogs' back 4 & Fern trying to get a pass over the top. He tried a few & didn't quite get the range, then found Gundogan with a beauty which he should either control, or head across goal to pick out a scorer. He just headed it lamely at the keeper. Then pretty much gave up. Later he was found in the box but the defence closed it, so rather than hold it, he booted the ball into touch.

It wasn't acceptable when Ged Brannen did shit like this, but for sone reason it's ok for an experienced international, in a team of world class players, to play every 2nd game at average or shit level.

No. He'd mostly stopped running by then.

Early on the plan was Gundogan making runs through the Trogs' back 4 & Fern trying to get a pass over the top. He tried a few & didn't quite get the range, then found Gundogan with a beauty which he should either control, or head across goal to pick out a scorer. He just headed it lamely at the keeper. Then pretty much gave up. Later he was found in the box but the defence closed it, so rather than hold it, he booted the ball into touch.

It wasn't acceptable when Ged Brannen did shit like this, but for sone reason it's ok for an experienced international, in a team of world class players, to play every 2nd game at average or shit level.

Don't recall but I do recall the one where he controlled it really well, smart turn got a shot in, took a nick of the defender and went out for a corner. Just check there, it was the 39th minute.

Don't recall but I do recall the one where he controlled it really well, smart turn got a shot in, took a nick of the defender and went out for a corner. Just check there, it was the 39th minute.
Don’t want to wade into the general Ilkay debate, as I’ve found there is no way to have a nuanced discussion about him, but the headed chance did happen in the first half: Sergio was available, onside, to the keeper’s left when Ilkay was picked out with a floated ball. Unfortunately, he tamely headed it straight at the keeper (rather than picking out Sergio for what would have been a high probability chance), who caught the ball standing upright and then tried to launch a counter with a throw. Ilkay stood with his hands on his head looking up to the heavens in frustration whilst everyone else ran out of the box to continue play. No judgement of the sequence, just confirmation of occurrence.

Let me ask you this, if what DeBruyne and Gundogan were doing was running away from Fernandinho then why didn't Guardiola pull them up on it? Could it be a case that what they were doing in pushing high to the edge of the opposition's area was under instruction?

As for your question, I've seen plenty of poor performances from this side that Gundogan played no part in.

Edit: I've just been reading back through and I owe you an apology, my first response to you this morning was rude and for that I'm sorry, I'm blaming it on Monday morning.

I dont know why. I personally dont think that Gundogan and KDB should be paired together as our number 8s because we lose the element of control we have with Silva in the side.

No worries.

Again, just what does he do?
Occupies a space in the squad that means Silva and De Bruyne can be rested without us worrying too much about losing control of the midfield in their absence. Has contributed to 11 goals in 27 games this season as well - and importantly for a squad player, he keeps his head down and is happy to be chopped and changed at Pep's discretion. I'm happy with that being what he does.

Occupies a space in the squad that means Silva and De Bruyne can be rested without us worrying too much about losing control of the midfield in their absence. Has contributed to 11 goals in 27 games this season as well - and importantly for a squad player, he keeps his head down and is happy to be chopped and changed at Pep's discretion. I'm happy with that being what he does.

Such is our usual dominance that there are many players in the league who would be able to occupy our midfield without us losing control. Whenever Gundogan gets a chance to shine he never takes it, and to be honest, doesn't look like he has any motivation to take it either. With Fernan having a rare off day, we needed him yesterday, and once again he did the grand sum of fuck all. And that's my biggest frustration with him, he looks like he's just happy to float around and collect one final big pay day. He's 28 years old.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player when he has all the time in the world and is given zero defensive responsibility, but I could say that about an awful lot of players. Four of the eleven contribution to goals came in this very manner - against a Championship team. He seems very down to earth, humble and I'm sure is well liked amongst the rest of the squad, but that isn't enough anymore. If I was Foden and I saw him cruising around whilst I'm busting my gut to get in the team, I'd be pissed off.

I was raving about him at Dortmund and it's a shame to see that his injuries have clearly effected him, but I'm afraid he isn't good enough for this squad.

Don’t want to wade into the general Ilkay debate, as I’ve found there is no way to have a nuanced discussion about him, but the headed chance did happen in the first half: Sergio was available, onside, to the keeper’s left when Ilkay was picked out with a floated ball. Unfortunately, he tamely headed it straight at the keeper (rather than picking out Sergio for what would have been a high probability chance), who caught the ball standing upright and then tried to launch a counter with a throw. Ilkay stood with his hands on his head looking up to the heavens in frustration whilst everyone else ran out of the box to continue play. No judgement of the sequence, just confirmation of occurrence.

Cheers, must have been in the opening 10 as I was distracted at the start of the game, I do recall one that Fernandinho overcooked following a clever run in behind from Gundogan, that wasn't long before Danilo's opener but the suggestion from @Neville Kneville that he stopped making them runs is nonsense. As I pointed out he got on the end of one in the 39th minute, that a nick from a defender took his shot slightly wide of the post and he also combined well with Walker just before the break but his finish was poor from a difficult enough angle.

By all means criticise but be fair, that is my position.

Such is our usual dominance that there are many players in the league who would be able to occupy our midfield without us losing control. Whenever Gundogan gets a chance to shine he never takes it, and to be honest, doesn't look like he has any motivation to take it either. With Fernan having a rare off day, we needed him yesterday, and once again he did the grand sum of fuck all. And that's my biggest frustration with him, he looks like he's just happy to float around and collect one final big pay day. He's 28 years old.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player when he has all the time in the world and is given zero defensive responsibility, but I could say that about an awful lot of players. Four of the eleven contribution to goals came in this very manner - against a Championship team. He seems very down to earth, humble and I'm sure is well liked amongst the rest of the squad, but that isn't enough anymore. If I was Foden and I saw him cruising around whilst I'm busting my gut to get in the team, I'd be pissed off.

I was raving about him at Dortmund and it's a shame to see that his injuries have clearly effected him, but I'm afraid he isn't good enough for this squad.
Just out of interest, who would you have instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.