Chelsea (H) Post Match Thread

Er, yeah. That's kind of the point. That I don't know. And nor do you.
Touche - yet we each have radically differing opinions - the validity of which we're sanguine.

Suffice to say - I doubt very much that Jesus is a top 2 or 3 striker in the world in the upcoming years - and that another successor to Aguero is found.

But that's just my opinion - I could be very much wrong.

You feel that Jesus is a developing talent and will come into his own in the next 2 or 3 years - proving himself among the best strikers of his age.

Neither of us has a crystal ball - so any of the above outcomes might well come to pass.

I'm not expecting him to be so.

But I don't think he'll end up being a top 2 or 3 world-best striker at any point in his career.
At 21 you just cannot tell. He could turn out to be anything from decent to the best in the world.

At the same age as Jesus:
Cavani scored five goals in 37 games in his first season for Palermo, was on nobody’s radar.
Lewnadowski was in his first season at Poznań and scored 20 goals, was on nobody’s radar other than Allardyce who just failed to sign him for Blackburn because of the ash cloud.
Agüero was in his third season at Atlético.
Suarez had just signed for Ajax, was on nobody’s radar.
Firmino was in his fourth season at Hoffenheim, playing in midfield, was on nobody’s radar.
Benzema was in his fourth season at Lyon.
Kane had just one year earlier been on the bench at two Championship clubs.
Lukaku had been binned off by Chelsea after a loan at West Brom was playing at Everton.
Ibrahimovic was at Ajax.
Džeko was in his first season at Wolfsburg, was on nobody’s radar.
Henry had just scored 16 goals on the wing for Juventus and signed for Arsenal as a left winger.
Shearer scored 21 for Southampton.
Shevchenko was still at Kyiv.

Only Rooney and Higuain were at top clubs banging goals in as a #9. None of the other top strikers in the world over the last two decades were at top clubs at Jesus’ age nor had anyone even heard of most of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not so far off the mark, that's the point.

Here's one for you mate, Jesus has a Premier league goal for every 122 minutes he's played. Henry had a Premier league goal for every 121 minutes he played.

Making the Aguero record of every 130 minutes or so in his first couple of years not as good? Oh, right...

He's not so far off the mark, that's the point.

Here's one for you mate, Jesus has a Premier league goal for every 122 minutes he's played. Henry had a Premier league goal for every 121 minutes he played.
But we lay goals on the plate for anyone regardless of talent who can get into the box due to our wing play.

Or would you prefer to keep Jesus instead of a magically age-reduced Henry, 21 years old?

Touche - yet we each have radically differing opinions - the validity of which we're sanguine.

Suffice to say - I doubt very much that Jesus is a top 2 or 3 striker in the world in the upcoming years - and that another successor to Aguero is found.

But that's just my opinion - I could be very much wrong.

You feel that Jesus is a developing talent and will come into his own in the next 2 or 3 years - proving himself among the best strikers of his age.

Neither of us has a crystal ball - so any of the above outcomes might well come to pass.

No, I didn't say any of that about coming into his own and proving himself. None of it. Don't make things up and put words into my mouth.

I said, and I am surprised this needs repeating, that I did not and do not know. That is all. I'll go further and clarify it - I don't have a Scooby where Jesus will be in two or three years. No fucking idea whatever. He's fine for a 21 year old, that's all I can say. This is why Guardiola, Arteta and the rest do what they do, while I watch.

No, I didn't say any of that about coming into his own and proving himself. None of it. Don't make things up and put words into my mouth.

I said, and I am surprised this needs repeating, that I did not and do not know. That is all. I'll go further and clarify it - I don't have a Scooby where Jesus will be in two or three years. No fucking idea whatever. He's find for a 21 year old, that's all I can say. This is why Guardiola, Arteta and the rest do what they do, while I watch.
Can't argue with any of that.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your previous remarks.

Haven't we learnt by now that it's a bit off to directly compare two players on the basis that they ought to have the exact same skillset?

We've never replaced Touré. To have a player of his exact skillset and ability might only come around once every 20 years, if that. And then for that ONE player to be at our club is rather against the odds. We just have a bunch of other equally good and different players who make up for the loss.
We've never replaced Kompany (I know he's still here but..). We just have a bunch of other equally good and different players who make up for the loss.
We've never replaced Tevez. We just have a bunch of other equally good and different players who make up for the loss.
We've never replaced Dzeko. We just have a bunch of other equally good and different players who make up for the loss.

And going forwards, we're never going to replace Aguero. We're just going to have a different player who can do his own things in his own right. Jesus will never be able to thump them in at weird angles like Aguero can. He'll probably never be quite the raw predator he is either. But he's cleverer off the ball and a bit more skillful; certainly in tight spaces.

You don't want a like for like, because that never exists. You just want quality and ideally quality that fits your team. Hopefully if Pep and Jesus are still here in 2 seasons time he'll be as fruitful a player for us as Aguero is/was, just in his own way.

Whilst we're at it, we're never going to replace Silva or Fernandinho too. But that's ok, as the above would tell you.

Last edited:
Good stuff - back on topic though..

We fucked up Chelsea big time! Best of luck you Scouser pretenders - you're dropping points soon!

Lucky if you finish 3rd in the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.