Game of Thrones (season 8)

So ep 3 dead pool

I'm going
Beric, Greyworm, Euron lord Royce deffinately

The hound, tormund, tollet, jorah, lyanna, possibly
Wild cards danny and possibly cersie
lots of rumours the reason you don't see the knights king is because he has flown to kings landing to destroy the city with the dragon and create an army of the dead to head north

Everyone else lives for now

Wasn't thrilled with ep1 but ep2 was great. If they had cut the dragon riding crap out of ep1 along with half the lame 1 liners they could have made a single ep that covered 1+2. It may be that I didn't need any catch up as I've watched them all again recently but I found ep1 to be the weakest in all the series to date. Ep2 however was bang on.

I a relative GoT newbie and not into all the lore etc but the "dragon riding crap" appears to have a rather obvious purpose, which at least one person has set out on this thread.

All the great clasical sagas have such momments and ep 2 was great in my opinion.

Read any tolkien, cornwells arthurian trilogy, old saxon and norse sagas, etc.

They will have the calm before the storm chapters where it is mostly the charactors just about talking, remeniscing, enjoying their last momments before certain death.

For all the moaning the little things were what made it

• The child wanting to fight burn scars and it's similarity to shireen greyscale and Davos look when she comes up.
  • The nights watch reunited with ghost also included
  • Tormunds surname revealed in maybe the weirdest story ever and davos and jamies face as he tells his tale
  • Briene finally getting recognised as an equal to the knights, also potential threesome on there
  • Danny in both conversations with sansa and jon revealing she cannot seperate ruling from whats important, which I fear means danny ain't making it to the end.
  • Greyworm talking about the future means he's dying next week
  • Roberts proposal to ned about their children getting it on happened, just the a different son and daughter
  • Though seeing arya arse cheeks and side boob, when you have watched her as the young lass grow throughout the show was a bit, nah didn't wanta see that, her slitting peoples throats fine, but her tits, no
  • Jorah reconciled with his house
  • Euron and Sansa moment in front of danny was clever way to show how the difference between the 2, danny burns people who wronged her, sansa ebraces them offers redemtion and sees their use and that forgiveness and unity are better.
  • Where the fuck was the night king??

Yes we all want some battles and political intrigue, but we are at the final battle now and any good war story has long drawn out momments of the charactors just talking and reflecting, this was that episode
I actually agree with the fundamentals of your post, these sorts of narrative “setup” periods are usually needed and beneficial to the story as a whole.

The issue I have is that, for me, the actual writing (dialogue, tone, scene framing, and plot devices) has changed significantly, and seems rather ham fisted now, as another poster aptly put it.

I don’t really want or need battles in every episode, I just want quality story-telling with clever dialogue and a tone that feels in keeping with previous seasons, and the last two episodes haven’t been that for me. They haven’t been horrible, they’ve just seemed “off”, very much like they do not have the books as a base to build from. It has felt more like the “spin-off” Game of Thrones show after the original has ended and Martin has moved on to other things.

At times it was bludgeoning the viewer with “care about this character more” moments or seeming “you wanted it, now you’ve got it” fan service bits. My missus and I actually laughed at a few points because the situations seemed so forced.

Battles / military conflict can cover poor or (in)different writing (and all manner of sin apart), which I think is the origin of many looking forward to them for the next few episodes.

I think this narrative change and pandering to fan service has been happening for a while now. Look back to season one and there weren't any battles at all put to film (even though there were a heap in the background) It didn't need action because the writing was taught, sharp and the dramatic points weren't mired in action. The pacing of the seasons has been ruined in the last few. Perfect example, in the time it takes for Theon to rescue his sister in Kings Landing and return to Winterfell, Berrick, Tormund and Ed only made it from Last Hearth to Winterfell - which if you look at this map is absolutely laughable. And for those saying that you need an episode the set things up for what is to come - we've had that - it's called the last seven seasons...

y88w1nq1ywiz.png
Fair points, all.

I think the change this season is still much more pronounced, though, as I have talked to a few mates that have all said they are actually having a sort of “negative” reaction to certain dialogue and plot devices throughout these last two episodes that they hadn’t previously (laughing at times where it isn’t meant to be funny, feeling certain things to be forced, and just finding the quality lacking). Hopefully things will improve for the remaining episodes.

After the events of the upcoming battles that episode will be looked back on fondly. Many of those sharing one last moment together will die.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.