Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
All we need now is for the opening credits for next season's Match of the Day to finish with Liverpool lifting the European Cup!
The City premier league trophy lifting at the end of the MOTD opening credits sequence will be CGI’d from blue to red...

I bet the opening credits sequence will start with a Salad goal, and as many as possible of the ‘great’ goals against City, though they’ll be limited for choice.
Also none against Liverpool or united.

There's no difference between the Sissoko handball in the final and the Llorente handball. If the ball doesn't hit Llorente's elbow it's probably not bouncing down on his thigh and into the net. If it doesn't hit his elbow, the ball is hitting him upper thigh and would probably fall straight into the hands of Ederson.
The contact made from the elbow definitely helped the ball go into the net, therefore by the new rules it surely has to be given as a handball?

Absolutely. Under the new rules it would be disallowed. They haven't come in yet.

Pep was one of the biggest proponents of VAR, I think by the end of the coming season he may have a few things to say about it that are not so positive.

I would think that Pep had the same view of VAR as we had - that it would be used sensibly, transparently and not be a vehicle for manipulating an outcome. From what I have seen so far in WCs, CLs etc, it clearly is causing more problems than it is solving, and the cynic in me doesn't swallow the shite about 'honest mistakes'! Teams have been screwed over, others benefitted, and I suspect that arrangement will continue until Liverpool win a PL title!

Absolutely. Under the new rules it would be disallowed. They haven't come in yet.

As I understand it, the new rules were in force last season in the CL from the quarter final stage, even though they were not be common currency until this month. So Llorente should not have been able to score off his arm, elbow, or whatever was sticking out of his shoulder!

My point is what if it hadn't been offside and someone had bump Erikson so he did the dodgy back pass or some infringement before that, who decides how far back we look until a decision is made about a goal ?. In one match they may check an incident and in another game overlook a very similar incident. Unless certain rules are set in stone about this injustices will still occur.

It's a fair point certainly. The Nations Cup last week had a penalty decision cancelled to give a penalty at the other end from beforehand - in that instance, the ball went the length of the field, so how far they can (and will) go back is anybody's guess.

Interestingly, the 'clear and obvious' mantra isn't the whole story in VAR protocol. It's to assist in circumstances of

‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ in relation to:
a. Goal/no goal
b. Penalty/no penalty
c. Direct red card (not second yellow card/caution)
d. Mistaken identity

Madly, in that match last week, if the penalty had been given for handball on the goalline (and a red card), the defender would still have been sent off (as far as I can tell)

I still think VAR will get there eventually. I just hope it's not always City getting the short end of a the stick as they figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.