VAR (PL introduction 2019)

It’s going to be a disaster imo and at first I was all for it.
Me too. I’ve just watched the France one properly from last night. There were people shouting their mouths off saying stop winging as it was the right decision. It’s one of my bug bares when keepers are two/three yards off their line when saving pens but the Nigeria keeper was literally half a step off it. What are you meant to do stay static now? I’m sorry but that would not have happened if the score was not what it was. Then there was the encroachment by the France players. I wouldn’t want a retake for that but surely you can’t have one without the other? If every tiny thing is now going to be pulled up then how it’s being implemented at the moment all that will happen now is
1) there’ll be loads of penalties and re taken penalties every game
2) goals ruled out for millimetres of offsides (clear and obvious mistakes???)
3) stop start stop start
4) time won’t be added on at the end
5) no one at the ground has a clue what’s going on
6) the passion and elation of a goal will disappear altogether, especially if you are at the game

I hope to god it gets better because it’s here to stay now, but I won’t be paying 45 quid a week to go to something that is no longer the game I’ve always loved, and 99% of the old farts I go with feel exactly the same.
The only way forward for me is each team having a review or maybe 2 per game. But I can’t see that happening. Maybe I’ll just hide under a rock for a few years until it hopefully sorts itself out :(((

Me too. I’ve just watched the France one properly from last night. There were people shouting their mouths off saying stop winging as it was the right decision. It’s one of my bug bares when keepers are two/three yards off their line when saving pens but the Nigeria keeper was literally half a step off it. What are you meant to do stay static now? I’m sorry but that would not have happened if the score was not what it was. Then there was the encroachment by the France players. I wouldn’t want a retake for that but surely you can’t have one without the other? If every tiny thing is now going to be pulled up then how it’s being implemented at the moment all that will happen now is
3) stop start stop start
6) the passion and elation of a goal will disappear altogether, especially if you are at the game

I hope to god it gets better because it’s here to stay now, but I won’t be paying 45 quid a week to go to something that is no longer the game I’ve always loved, and 99% of the old farts I go with feel exactly the same.
The only way forward for me is each team having a review or maybe 2 per game. But I can’t see that happening. Maybe I’ll just hide under a rock for a few years until it hopefully sorts itself out :(((
I share your concerns for sure but Rugby Union seems to have found the correct balance with complete transparency of what is said between those operating var and the referee and the incident viewed from multiple angles every instance. They also seem to have incorporated the decision making into building the tension in the ground. It certainly hasnt ruined the game. Wether the FA have the humility to copy what the RFU have done is another question.

1) There’ll be loads of penalties and retaken penalties every game
2) Goals ruled out for millimetres of offsides (clear and obvious mistakes???)
3) Stop start stop start
4) Time won’t be added on at the end
5) No one at the ground has a clue what’s going on
6) The passion and elation of a goal will disappear altogether, especially if you are at the game

Agree completely.

Can you imagine they gave us all a hand set when we entered the ground, a decision goes to VAR and you can see all the camera angles on your hand set. You are then asked to vote offside/not offside, handball/not handball, penalty/no penalty, out of play/in play, foul/no foul, yellow card/red card etc etc.

What sort of decisions would you get then, or lets go the whole hog and let the viewer decide when the match is televised.

What we all want is correct decision making which would happen if the referees and match official improved, what we are getting is the same incompetent officials looking at replays (and in some cases not every angle) and then deciding the outcome.

From what I have witnessed so far with VAR there is no improvement on the old system.

Virtually everyone is in agreement that for it to work and be a success their has to be 100% complete transparency and communication of decisions.

Mic the officials up, show all replays and dialogue to the crowd and tv and no one will have an issue.

They won’t though and they will use it to cheat and manipulate results and it will spell the end for many of us I fear.

3) stop start stop start

For me, your no. 2 is the most important. VAR hands defenders extra advantage and will deprive us of goals. Offside law needs changing

What we all want is correct decision making which would happen if the referees and match official improved, what we are getting is the same incompetent officials looking at replays (and in some cases not every angle) and then deciding the outcome.

Exactly, just look at the France penalty v Norway. The French player jumps in two footed, the Norwegian player makes sure her leg isn't planted, so she scuffs the top of the ball. Result penalty to France. Neither the VAR official nor the ref spotted the two footed challenge, which should have resulted in a free kick to Norway and a red card to the French player. Or they did spot it and choose to ignore it because it was the home team.

Virtually everyone is in agreement that for it to work and be a success their has to be 100% complete transparency and communication of decisions.

Mic the officials up, show all replays and dialogue to the crowd and tv and no one will have an issue.

They won’t though and they will use it to cheat and manipulate results and it will spell the end for many of us I fear.

Moreso when it ruins the spontaneous joy, of scoring a goal.

Prior to this, it was normal to see the lino's flag waving,often before the ball even went in, right or wrong,so you already knew.

Now the inquest & possible reversal.

After experiencing it several times, I'm looking at next season as a trial period personally. Not a trial for v.a.r. because we are stuck with it, but a trial for myself, to see if I wish to continue paying 800 quid for a season ticket to watch it happen.

3) stop start stop start

Offside doesn't come under the 'clear and obvious' standard. Offside is offside, it is a matter of fact

One thing that is going to drive me mental is this new thing where liners dont put their flag up for an obvious offside and just let it go and allow VAR to rule any goal out. It almost feels like the authorities feel like VAR is there to increase excitment / talking moments, where for me it is supposed to be there for the complete opposite. VAR is increasing the controversial decisions where it was always supposed to be to rule them out.

One thing that is going to drive me mental is this new thing where liners dont put their flag up for an obvious offside and just let it go and allow VAR to rule any goal out. It almost feels like the authorities feel like VAR is there to increase excitment / talking moments, where for me it is supposed to be there for the complete opposite. VAR is increasing the controversial decisions where it was always supposed to be to rule them out.

Agree with that and I think it has been mentioned but the scenario is ,Serge is offside doesn't know it the ball is between him and the keeper,the flag stays down as Serge hasn't touched the ball. He gets to the ball and the keeper wipes him out injuring him.

Also why didn't the VAR have the second French penalty for encroachment by 3 French players? I don't want to see that but VAR needs working on if going to be workable.
Im not a fan of it as heas been said it takes away the initial emotion of celebrating a goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.