Joao Cancelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not quite the subject, but I am utterly bemused by the revisionism that has gone on (on this forum) concerning John Stones for months now. During the Centurions season he was as solid as a rock, and a major part in the success story of that season. Pep rates him as one of the best, if not the best, English centre half of his generation. Vinny picked him over Joleon, Ota, MdM, and Laporte in his best City team of his period here.
I have complete faith that John is one of our central defenders – and England's – for years to come.

He will be if he can just manage a full season. Two seasons in a row he's started brilliantly, gotten injured, never recovered fully and been kept out of the team by Otamendi and Kompany. That's his biggest issue.

I don't think the club care about being 'fair' to Walker. He's the weak link in our team, the worst in possession, one of the most error-prone. Would he get into 18/20 teams in the league? Yes. Should we settle for him? No.
The club have just extended his contract Pep played him on virtually every game last season.
I think it's fair to say he has a lot of confidence in him.
The fact that we play a pressing game so the backs are often unsupported and that he plays s lot of minutes means that he will make a few mistakes but he's an excellent full back though having competition is never a bad thing and being able to rest them is great full backs do a lot of running.

A shame if we get rid of Danilo as I rate him way above Kyle.

Danilo may be a better attacking option but Walker and his pace are a vital cog for us defensively.

There must be a reason why Pep didn't play Danilo on a regular basis even when Kyle had a dodgy period mid season.

I don't think the club care about being 'fair' to Walker. He's the weak link in our team, the worst in possession, one of the most error-prone. Would he get into 18/20 teams in the league? Yes. Should we settle for him? No.
I do agree to a certain extent especially about him being the worst player we have in possession (and I include Ederson) and that does make him vulnerable to Cancelo if he comes. However he’s absolutely vital at present in the defensive transition on counter attacks and until we find a way to use Cancelo and still retain that defensive quality he’s still got a huge part to play.

I still think Walker will slowly but surely transition into central defence to prolong his career starting this season. That said Cancelo will have to work fucking hard if he wants to keep Walkers first team place at right back, I can’t imagine Walker giving it up easily but that competition is what makes us so successful as Sterling has said on several occasions.

Danilo may be a better attacking option but Walker and his pace are a vital cog for us defensively.

There must be a reason why Pep didn't play Danilo on a regular basis even when Kyle had a dodgy period mid season.

Yes. He was injured. for a good long chunk of the season

The club have just extended his contract Pep played him on virtually every game last season.
I think it's fair to say he has a lot of confidence in him.
The fact that we play a pressing game so the backs are often unsupported and that he plays s lot of minutes means that he will make a few mistakes but he's an excellent full back though having competition is never a bad thing and being able to rest them is great full backs do a lot of running.
Your right.
Hes the most consistent, best full back at the club.
Cancelo if he comes has different strengths but remains the stand out performer of our fullback options.

He will be if he can just manage a full season. Two seasons in a row he's started brilliantly, gotten injured, never recovered fully and been kept out of the team by Otamendi and Kompany. That's his biggest issue.
I'm not sure being injured is an ssue you can hold against player. If so Komps would have been boo boy subject number 1, hounded out of the club by fans years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.