Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Not only does it play off the ol’ “Arab money” tropes, it also mentions that Bernstein (the antagonist of the piece) is Jewish on more than one occasion.
Yes. I read this in the print edition. It has a clear racist theme. It manages to be anti-arab and anti-semitic at the same time but what it clearly is is anti-foreign. It is all built on an interview with a London property developer/ asset stripper with no balancing quotes or context. I wonder if the Sunday Times writer went to the same public school as Leslau.

Last edited:
Sorry, I read that and then flipped through it again and I can't see what you both find wrong with it?

I with you on this. Can't see what's wrong with it. Clearly not the full story, but isn't trying to be and doesn't pretend to be. Just presents some basic info and the concerns expressed.

I know London is a much bigger city than Manchester but was there this type of kick off from Wembley Arena when they decided to convert the millennium Dome into the O2? We now have Maddison Square Gardens building a venue with a 21,000 capacity in Stratford so there is more than enough scope to have another venue in Manchester.

The people who own the arena need to up their game and get it looking better than what it is at the moment as it looks very tired and dated. For music the sound quality is terrible, I don’t think I’ve ever been to a gig there and found it a memorable experience.

Got a bit more today. Hotel will be in the same phase as the arena. Idea is to make the area more of a destination. The arena wlll be used 100 plus days a year. They want to get to a situation where people are coming and using the hotel, going to a game and a concert all in the same location with more bars and restaurants also on site. Principally the aim is that the campus will essentially be part of the city centre eventually. The stadium expansion will happen but not until phase 1 done.

The arena will be in a completely different league acoustically to the current arena.

The Framework for the area will get nodded through and then the winging from the other arena wont really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a bit more today. Hotel will be in the same phase as the arena. Idea is to make the area more of a destination. The arena wlll be used 100 plus days a year. They want to get to a situation where people are coming and using the hotel, going to a game and a concert all in the same location with more bars and restaurants also on site. Principally the aim is that the campus will essentially be part of the city centre eventually. The stadium expansion will happen but not until phase 1 done.

The arena will be in a completely different league acoustically to the current arena.

The Framework for the area will get nodded through and then the winging from the other arena wont really matter.

Do you expect the arena to get the go ahead, mate? I want what's best for City of course, but I also want what's best for Manchester. If City build a 20k arena, it's going to be terminal for the (former) M.E.N imo.

I appreciate the M.E.N is one of the busiest arenas in the world, but I just don't think the city is big enough to support two arenas of that size.

The Apollo holds 3.5k, the M.E.N 20k, maybe if City went for a 10k arena with great acoustics, it could carve out a niche without stepping on anyone's toes?

As a site manager I’d love to get the gig on something like this (no pun intended!)

Looking to future development, the hotel is the most significant to me. 200 rooms is a sweet spot and 3* is what sells for events with a premium for being on-site. I would expect a 24 hour coffee shop and large restaurant and bar as well as conference facilities that can be integrated with the Etihad Stadium. A bonus is parking and proximity to Piccadilly station..

It is not uncommon to combine 3* hotels with 4* or grand or tower or separate superior or luxury branded wing marketed rooms say with fine or private dining, separate breakfast and say rooftop bar with separate security.

I can see a 150-250 room 3* hotel with a 4* plus or luxury addition of 50-150 rooms and lots of facilities. This is the start. Demand will grow for accomodation, shops, restaurants, infrastructure including 2* accommodation and finally development into a new sufficient, defined area.

All will add to MCFC revenue and will develop the surrounding area even more.

Needs to be really. The MEN is very poor acoustically. It’s a basketball/ice hockey arena that charged the Giants and Storm so much for rent they both went bust, that now hosts concerts.

It’s also ugly as fuck!

They need to up their game and move with the times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.