Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Just had this email through ...
I'm emailing the club about this since i didn't get the survey. Thanks for posting...

While i'm at it, i was wondering if anyone had a picture of the brilliant SSL1 "BORN IN GORTON" display from the Shakhtar game? My point about it will be to have no corporate areas in the North Stand because that brilliant display was ruined by the completely empty 93:20 corporate section right above it that night.

That's a bit different though as the Kippax held 30k and there'd be 5000 away fans. At the Etihad the City part of SSL1 holds about 2500 yet there's 2800 away fans next to them in a strip going up to the top of SSL3 where the roof makes them louder than our SSL1 singers.

I guarantee you will not find a worse set-up for vocal home fans in any football ground in the world, it's abysmal!

Off the top of my head, PSG in the Parc des Princes - huge distance between both ends and the goals in a crap stadium yet both ends generate a fantastic noise.

There's one problem at City and it's not the acoustics or the stadium configuration or anything else to do with infrastructure - it's the fans - we need to step up.

Off the top of my head, PSG in the Parc des Princes - huge distance between both ends and the goals in a crap stadium yet both ends generate a fantastic noise.

There's one problem at City and it's not the acoustics or the stadium configuration or anything else to do with infrastructure - it's the fans - we need to step up.
I see what you're saying but all their vocal fans are in whole ends with away fans tucked in the corner.

A train station on the goods line next to the Athletics arena would help.

Absolutely would help, best way to get people away from the stadium is to give them multiple options, so they can walk, train, tram, bus etc. People will find their own and quickest way home the more options you have, like when there is traffic from a crash or whatever so people start using the "back roads." When there is only one way home your screwed and have to sit in the traffic.

I know plenty of fans do go North or East from the ground, but vast majority go South or in to Mcr, tram isn't good enough and traffic backs up quick. Just not enough options.

Problem is I can't see MCC or City sorting out the goods line to accommodate fans. It would be just too expensive and not used enough to justify the cost. It would need to be part of a bigger plan or project. Can it link up to somewhere like Stockport who are desperate for Metro/light rail as if we chipped in for something like that MCC may get onboard?

That's a bit different though as the Kippax held 30k and there'd be 5000 away fans. At the Etihad the City part of SSL1 holds about 2500 yet there's 2800 away fans next to them in a strip going up to the top of SSL3 where the roof makes them louder than our SSL1 singers.

I guarantee you will not find a worse set-up for vocal home fans in any football ground in the world, it's abysmal!

Couldnt agree with you more all I wanted to do was point out that back in the old days fans being next to one another made more noise, just using this as a counter argument for those advocating a pure home end. But if the set up could be changed whereby the away fans were next to the home fans but the home fans had a standing/rail seating on all three or two levels going up to the roof and outnumbering the away fans by 10000 or so that might be different.

Absolutely would help, best way to get people away from the stadium is to give them multiple options, so they can walk, train, tram, bus etc. People will find their own and quickest way home the more options you have, like when there is traffic from a crash or whatever so people start using the "back roads." When there is only one way home your screwed and have to sit in the traffic.

I know plenty of fans do go North or East from the ground, but vast majority go South or in to Mcr, tram isn't good enough and traffic backs up quick. Just not enough options.

Problem is I can't see MCC or City sorting out the goods line to accommodate fans. It would be just too expensive and not used enough to justify the cost. It would need to be part of a bigger plan or project. Can it link up to somewhere like Stockport who are desperate for Metro/light rail as if we chipped in for something like that MCC may get onboard?
A little bit of investment could potentially provide a "circle line" that would link up a stadium station with Piccadilly, Oxford Road, Salford Central and Victoria and onwards via Miles Platting back to the stadium. The track is already there other than on the old disused viaduct through Ardwick and a new bridge over Ashton Old Road would be needed. There's probably technical reasons why it would be difficult but it would be worth looking at.

All this talk of using the rail line - trains have to be scheduled, including goods trains. I doubt there's capacity to fit many in (1 every half hour, maybe) so you'll find it quicker to walk on many occasions.

Trams are much more flexible.

Using the away fans and their proximity to the home fans as an excuse not to have a proper home end is a bit short sighted.

Less and less away fans are coming to the Etihad, and only the big and close clubs take their full allocation of 3000 away tickets.

There have been numerous occasions when only level 1 is full or part full of away fans, with level 2 and 3 of the away end sold to City fans.

Bournemouth will probably bring 500 fans on Saturday.

Another thing not often mentioned on here is the effect the away fans in SS level 3 are having on our home support below them.

My partner and daughter sit in SS level 2, block 212, and they constantly tell me that they can't hear SS level 1 or the Kippax corner, blocks 111, 110 and 109, because of the noise coming down from the away fans above them.

Having a safe standing home end with a 10,000 to 15,000 capacity would make a massive(arf!) difference and change the atmosphere inside the Etihad for the better instantly.

The fact that the club is looking at safe standing at both ends of the Etihad is even more interesting and exciting, not to mention having safe standing seats on level 2 of the NS. Our own Curva.

Saying that, I fully expect these exciting initial safe standing proposals to be watered down, and a sort of safe standing fits all to be taken forward by the club in the future.

A little bit of investment could potentially provide a "circle line" that would link up a stadium station with Piccadilly, Oxford Road, Salford Central and Victoria and onwards via Miles Platting back to the stadium. The track is already there other than on the old disused viaduct through Ardwick and a new bridge over Ashton Old Road would be needed. There's probably technical reasons why it would be difficult but it would be worth looking at.
I’ve been saying for years that there could be a monorail system that connects Trafford Park/The Quays to Etihad Campus creating a long West-to-East city centre.

Or that as well as having Metrolink at snails pace over ground in those areas, also have an underground just from that same West-to-East city centre that’s quick an efficient.

As you say a circle line connecting inner city districts without having to go through Town n’all. Would free up space on them coming through Town.

Bus only roads.

Cycle only roads.

More walks/walkways created that aren’t street/canal-side.

Transport in this city and especially around the city centre and around the Etihad could be so much better!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.