Var debate 2019/20

This is one of those arguments that's sounds emotionally good. But logically irrational.

1. Why should read get help but not Assistant Refs? No reason for it.

2. The argument you've proffered for the linesman " train him up" is equally valid for a Ref "train him up" and take away all technology. It's a silly argument. Goaline technology works exactly like VAR, in that it reduces drastically the chances of major errors.

The fact that your brain doesn't catch some errors and misidentifies other non-errors as errors is besides the point. And the Spectacle isnt ruined. It's slightly delayed.

You'd get used to it. And if you don't, the generation after you will. Many forget there was a generation who watched football without offsides. Then the rule was added.

Changed the enjoyment, but they got used to it and then we showed up and thought it was great. If you can't get around to loving it as is. Not to worry, the generation after you will love it as is.

The Spectacle just got better. Believe it!!!
Goal line decisions rely on technology to work with no human intervention. The decision is immediate. VAR involves human decision making that is imprecise. Impossible to judge the actual kicking of the ball, unless boots and ball have some kind of wireless connected devices. Impossible to detect precisely the exact part of the body that is offside. I've seen that picture of Sterling's shoulder offside and still fail to see how the goal could be disallowed. It was based on human judgement and took until the players were all lined up for the restart before the announcement that VAR was checking the validity of the goal.
VAR is an imprecise science that will take the emotion out of the game and ultimately ruin football unless it is made scientifically perfect like goal line technology.

Fifa rules say when the player touches or plays the ball, nothing about it leaving a players foot. That’s a nothing thing that appears to be wrong and different to what we’re always told.

this is the big BIG debate all on its own ?? and its the official nightmare for line officials, its guessing and always has been by them, between player passing the ball to the player being onside, it can be anything 40 to 60 yard pass to a little touch or flick, at best the official is watching the ball then moves his head to the player that is the problem

i always wonder if the bosses at FIFA would bring in 2 line officials for each half on both sides of the pitch and if both wave there flags then your offside but it one flags you can play on giving the advantage of doubt to the striker, but after seeing VAR it still would not work because both would have to be inline with each other ???

i have the answers to the offside rule in football and its simple ?? just get rid off it and let strikers or forwards have the advantage and score goals every game, you will soon find teams defending a new system like man on man and not working on lines to trap players offside, also the game and fans watching would love all out action and plenty of goals, or even have a offside zone like 30 yards into the each half and that would stop the long ball teams just hitting long, or have a system when you have to name 2 or 3 players that can not be offside in the game and can play anywhere

but would anybody miss the offside rule if it was taken out of the game ????? i would not, and i think it would be beneficial for the game and defenders having to defend strikers and not spaces, defender would have to learn the game and even dare i say become better defenders

You’ll have to direct that at fifa, I’d say they mean the same thing, ie when the player touches the ball.
There are so many parts of this which are open to interpretation, no wonder there's so much consternation & confusion.

What Dermot Gallagher said this morning about not being able to accurately judge if a goalie's foot is on or over the line for penalties, but VAR can 100% tell if you have an armpit hair which has strayed offside is a nonsense.

I firmly believe that in last 10 years, no club in Europe had wore refereeing than Manchester City. I guess there are probably 15 penalties we don't get during the league season and even if we get few when we shouldn't, we're still at 10 penalties not given for us. There was a period 2 years ago when there was a leg breaking attack on our players per game and none was "rewarded" with red card, some weren't booked and some weren't even deemed as a foul, like that leg breaking penalty incident on Aguero in derby 2 years ago. Referee mistakes were ending our title challenges, we were going out from domestic and European cups... while in same time some of our fiercest rivals were being given everything and more from referees.

We moaned all those 10 years here, each referee was a ****, each football organization was corrupt. And that's probably right.

Now we get the technology that is proven to help any club get 5-10% better decisions on game defining moments, nothing ever made those decisions to come closer to 100% correct, City's numbers will probably be double of other clubs and what I see here is some of the loudest UEFA, FA, Rags, Liverpool's bashers going mental about it, threatening they'll quit with football, blah, blah, blah, citing entertainment, emotions etc...

I don't understand the endgame of some football fans. Is it about their club winning games, leagues and cups and playing on more fair field or is it all about them, their need for banter and shitting over referees, FA, etc.. I know for decades it's all about them when it comes to organized hooligan groups, but I thought it's different for regular fans.

Last edited:
There are so many parts of this which are open to interpretation, no wonder there's so much consternation & confusion.

What Dermot Gallagher said this morning about not being able to accurately judge if a goalie's foot is on or over the line for penalties, but VAR can 100% tell if you have an armpit hair which has strayed offside is a nonsense.
I noticed that. He totally contradicted himself and no one picked up on it at all

A line which the keeper is stood on that has cameras that can tell if a ball is 1 mm over as well.

They literally make it up as they go along.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.