Var debate 2019/20

before VAR did you not feel refs were not screwing you over ?
Not like this,they now have the ability to hide in a van somewhere and change the result of a game,the crowd can't even boo them,2 games 2 goals that they had to pour over for 2 mins each to find a reason to disallow the goals,one by literally mms and the other when it's not clear who it hit,even if it was our man we didn't get an advantage,they are literally testing it out on us,they have changed handball to favour the defenders and so less pens and more goals ruled out,they said no reviews in slo mo and clear and obvious,thats all gone out of the window for us and if chucking someone to the ground is not a pen for the ref or var and they should come out and say so

so we scrap VAR ... future scenarios :

Liverpool v City ... Salah goes through on goal and does a ridiculous dive - fans all appeal, Lino isn't sure, Refs view it looks like he got clattered - Ref gives a penalty .

Corner kick, ref spots a shove by a city player on a Liverpool player and awards a penalty - fans bemused as to what for.

long ball over the top, Salah miles offside, plays on and scores a goal.

++

all the above was happening week in week out in games and the accusations of corruption and anger was felt - Are you really saying if we scrap VAR everyone will just be happy and can accept decisions like the those above ? i'd be happy to go back to old system if fans really just accepted the refs decisions.

at least with VAR we have a fighting chance of implementing the correct decisions, however long it takes and it has a long way to go. I personally think they have bought in too much too soon, they should have implemented each law season by season , ie: for this season, VAR used just for offsides , next season for something else.

- one thing i agree with everyone, the spontaneous reaction when a goal goes in has been massively hampered, this is something i fully agree with. However, my honest opinion is i'd rather not be cheated/robbed by a ref/lino who has no clue on the incident and makes a wild guess.

I'm not sticking to my guns on this, i would favor scraping VAR if it's a total disaster, but i will give it a lot longer than 2 games.
Bluehammer, would you rather be shafted by a linesman/ref that you can see and know the identity of, or some faceless "official" in a room watching god knows what.

I know us City fans are paranoid at this stage, but the fact is technology aiding the correct decisions being made, is a good thing.
The problem is that all the evidence we have on VAR at the moment suggests that in the same hands (The Regulators) it actually makes it easier to influence the result of a close scoring game.

We had a habit of being profligate in front of goal last season, but managed a few important 1-0 's in the run in.
Looks like that profligacy will be a big problem this season if we don't remedy it, as between refs and VAR, it is just another weapon in their arsenal.

Not like this,they now have the ability to hide in a van somewhere and change the result of a game,the crowd can't even boo them,2 games 2 goals that they had to pour over for 2 mins each to find a reason to disallow the goals,one by literally mms and the other when it's not clear who it hit,even if it was our man we didn't get an advantage,they are literally testing it out on us,they have changed handball to favour the defenders and so less pens and more goals ruled out,they said no reviews in slo mo and clear and obvious,thats all gone out of the window for us and if chucking someone to the ground is not a pen for the ref or var and they should come out and say so

fair points Karen, from our point of view - it felt like we were being robbed by the ref week in week out and stats back that up

https://www.claretandhugh.info/west-ham-come-off-worst-in-ref-decisions-in-league/

Brighton game we would have lost if it wasn't for VAR coming to our rescue.

Still judging by our fans and fans in general, VAR doesn't seem to be welcome and i understand the points being made.

Like i say, would be happy to revert to what we've always had (a ref and lino's forced into guessing on major decisions) but knowing we have the technology to help that just doesn't sit right with me.

Hopefully not,why should any other team benefit when we didn't,they are using us to try things out so maybe they will change it,they shouldn't change anything till next season now but i think the rules will get softened along the way

Because next time it happens to one of our players in the box hopefully they will give it. Var is still a major work in progress it will get better.

Bluehammer, would you rather be shafted by a linesman/ref that you can see and know the identity of, or some faceless "official" in a room watching god knows what.

To me the ref should get the full flack - he has the technology to help him and is in a position to overule anything VAR points out.

There is no excuses for the refs anymore, before he had the alibi of 'i didn't see it' and there was nothing us fans could do about it.

I think the “clear and obvious error” principle should really apply to off the ball incidents or where the ref has a poor view. In those cases the Var official should make the decision. When it’s a incident like Saturday’s it seems more appropriate for the VAR official to say to the ref “I think you might want to take a 2nd look at the monitor”.
But here in lies the problem.... If VAR don't refer it to the ref so as to keep the game flowing, how do they know if he might have disagreed with them or not?

This morning it was reported that Dermot Gallagher said the Rodri incident wasn't a penalty. However, the more he looked at it, the more he was coming round to the idea that it was.

This takes into account that he's part of the refereeing union, so will always seek to have his colleagues backs, as we all would.

And you're right. VAR should say to a referee 'You might want to take a look at this buddy". But judging by the guidance posted by @MillionMilesAway, they've basically told the refs to trust their colleagues judgement, so the game keeps flowing.

So again, what's the point in having a referee? Linesmen, VAR & digital yellow & red cards flashed onto the bug screens is seemingly all they need.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.