Running thread

Im led to believe the fenix 5 does that although the issue i have is im unable to do triathlon lol.

Finally got my bike last week though so you never know ;-)

Go for it mate, i've loved it, started proper swimming lessons a couple of weeks ago, needed to learn the front crawl properly as breast stroke was just too slow, and cracked a full mile last week in one go all front crawl.

Only need to do 2.5 miles on the full one next year.

Go for it mate, i've loved it, started proper swimming lessons a couple of weeks ago, needed to learn the front crawl properly as breast stroke was just too slow, and cracked a full mile last week in one go all front crawl.

Only need to do 2.5 miles on the full one next year.

Wife is a swimmer and im about to start lessons with her as my technique is well, non existent.

Have to admit that the bike and running i look forwards too but the swimming has me filled with dread as ive never enjoyed doing it but thats probably because im so inefficient at it.

Wife is a swimmer and im about to start lessons with her as my technique is well, non existent.

Have to admit that the bike and running i look forwards too but the swimming has me filled with dread as ive never enjoyed doing it but thats probably because im so inefficient at it.
That's been me until the last few weeks, so much more enjoyable after you get the technique correct.

\\
The mother ship of Park Runs for me, as much as I like the smaller ones. My pop back this Saturday as it happens. My PB remains there (20:39)...

Here's a question. Due to a labral tear in my hip (surgery last call really and they don't really know enough about that type of operation at the moment apparently) I was told to build up my core muscles and do lots of stretches and perhaps only run on soft ground (that isn't going to happen). Although the latest advice seems to be just go run and this helps stimulate blood supply (I can never fix the tear as it's cartilage). I lost a lot of weight running to the point I started losing muscle too...I had no arse in the end.
So I (initially reluctantly) joined a gym a few months back to build up my core - I also do Yoga and Pilates there too...thought it was better than doing those stretches and exercises they give you at the hospital on printed A4 paper (usually sketched pictures of an old lady stretching on a chair whilst watching corrie).
What's happened is that I've bulked up quite a bit now (I'm there everyday doing most conceivable forms of cardio and weights), finally got an arse (Kettle Bell swings are ace fore the old glutes) and have a really good muscle/fat ratio.
Wondering however if this will effect my chance of challenging my running PB...I'm lighter (but with more muscle) but bulking up a little makes me think it would be detrimental to my overall speed...
Couldn't tell you specifically but glutes are the key running muscle right? If you're lighter with more muscle then I guess you'll be faster but until you run it you'll never know. Also you might be slower but that might just be because of a bad day rather than physiological

I feel your pain - the swim for me was terrible. Daughter (who swims at a national level) has been trying to coach me but is getting a bit exasperated, I think. Been doing some open water sessions at Salford Quays as well, which have been very useful.

I feel your pain - the swim for me was terrible. Daughter (who swims at a national level) has been trying to coach me but is getting a bit exasperated, I think. Been doing some open water sessions at Salford Quays as well, which have been very useful.

I went back to the pool mate, would find i'd do say a couple of 100 metres front crawl then go into breast-stroke as knackered and then not revert back, finding in the pool easier as can rest when required, not easy to do in the lake!!

Ooh...morphing into a Triathlon thread.
Was a swimmer for years as kid so I have that I guess (daughter became a very good swimmer so swam whilst she was in her own squad).
Did a 100 mile bike ride on a rusty mountain bike, but my legs were absolutely fucked at the end of it (in fact the whole of my body was) and I've ran a half marathon.
Is there a decent 'starter' Tri I could look at next year? Got a bit of a bee in my bonnet over doing one so I may as well give on a crack...

Ooh...morphing into a Triathlon thread.
Was a swimmer for years as kid so I have that I guess (daughter became a very good swimmer so swam whilst she was in her own squad).
Did a 100 mile bike ride on a rusty mountain bike, but my legs were absolutely fucked at the end of it (in fact the whole of my body was) and I've ran a half marathon.
Is there a decent 'starter' Tri I could look at next year? Got a bit of a bee in my bonnet over doing one so I may as well give on a crack...

Theres loads about mate, small ones which have pool swims, duathlons (Run,Bike,Run) as well as the different distance Triathlons which are out there.

I've done Sandman classic (1000 mtr sea swim, 36 mile bike, 10k run)
Epic man (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, half marathon)
Salford Tri (1500 mtr swim, 25 mile bike, 10k run)

Signed up for Lakesman full distance Triathlon in June (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, marathon) It's tecnically not classed as an 'Ironman' due to the branding although it's the same distance, £200 cheaper though!!

Not bad considering i couldn't swim 18 months ago!!

Incredible mate - open water swimming is definitely a different beast to a pool too.
I've definitely recalibrated my whole mind and body since hammering the training and exercise...if I did regrets I wished I'd been like this though my 20's and 30's...but I don't do regrets and here I am.
Will look at the smaller ones initially but I guess this will mean picking up a road bike too (not biked for a while - just have an oldish hybrid which I haven't used since I crashed it...after doing a park run!

Lakesman/Ironman are pretty insane. I've got to be careful due to my mashed up hips (labral tears/femoroacetabular impingement) so half marathon might be my limit (though I simply don't know).

Good luck ahead of next year...you never know, I may join you on one day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.