Running thread

\\
The mother ship of Park Runs for me, as much as I like the smaller ones. My pop back this Saturday as it happens. My PB remains there (20:39)...

Here's a question. Due to a labral tear in my hip (surgery last call really and they don't really know enough about that type of operation at the moment apparently) I was told to build up my core muscles and do lots of stretches and perhaps only run on soft ground (that isn't going to happen). Although the latest advice seems to be just go run and this helps stimulate blood supply (I can never fix the tear as it's cartilage). I lost a lot of weight running to the point I started losing muscle too...I had no arse in the end.
So I (initially reluctantly) joined a gym a few months back to build up my core - I also do Yoga and Pilates there too...thought it was better than doing those stretches and exercises they give you at the hospital on printed A4 paper (usually sketched pictures of an old lady stretching on a chair whilst watching corrie).
What's happened is that I've bulked up quite a bit now (I'm there everyday doing most conceivable forms of cardio and weights), finally got an arse (Kettle Bell swings are ace fore the old glutes) and have a really good muscle/fat ratio.
Wondering however if this will effect my chance of challenging my running PB...I'm lighter (but with more muscle) but bulking up a little makes me think it would be detrimental to my overall speed...

Muscle wasting is not something I knew about before I started running at 37 last year and thought losing over a stone was just the fat until I had a weak muscle in hip to glutes that tore and stopped me training properly for almost 7/8 months. Realising core excercises are not some gimmick now and it's holding me in good stead. Good luck with the PB attempt.

Incredible mate - open water swimming is definitely a different beast to a pool too.
I've definitely recalibrated my whole mind and body since hammering the training and exercise...if I did regrets I wished I'd been like this though my 20's and 30's...but I don't do regrets and here I am.
Will look at the smaller ones initially but I guess this will mean picking up a road bike too (not biked for a while - just have an oldish hybrid which I haven't used since I crashed it...after doing a park run!

Lakesman/Ironman are pretty insane. I've got to be careful due to my mashed up hips (labral tears/femoroacetabular impingement) so half marathon might be my limit (though I simply don't know).

Good luck ahead of next year...you never know, I may join you on one day.

I'm like you in wishing i'd done these things earlier in life, only took up running 2.5 years ago, aged 48, since then i have completed numerous half marathons and 10k's, 2 Manchester marathons and am now signed up for New York, Cyprus and another Manchester plus hoping to get on London as well.

Ooh...morphing into a Triathlon thread.
Was a swimmer for years as kid so I have that I guess (daughter became a very good swimmer so swam whilst she was in her own squad).
Did a 100 mile bike ride on a rusty mountain bike, but my legs were absolutely fucked at the end of it (in fact the whole of my body was) and I've ran a half marathon.
Is there a decent 'starter' Tri I could look at next year? Got a bit of a bee in my bonnet over doing one so I may as well give on a crack...

Haven't done it myself but a few people have recommended the Nantwich Tri to me:

https://www.letsdothis.com/gb/e/nor...MIkvHT1PHI5AIVxbHtCh0lDQh7EAAYASAAEgIC-vD_BwE

Pretty much any sprint distance Tri would be a good introduction, though. try the event finder at:

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/search

Muscle wasting is not something I knew about before I started running at 37 last year and thought losing over a stone was just the fat until I had a weak muscle in hip to glutes that tore and stopped me training properly for almost 7/8 months. Realising core excercises are not some gimmick now and it's holding me in good stead. Good luck with the PB attempt.

Got the arse I had back as a sprightly teenager (before I ploughed the weight on for a couple of years)...tempted to grab some of those 'new wave' budgie smugglers for next year now :). I found an ace PT at my gym who kick started a routine for me (just a one of sessions but guided by an app - technology and fitness go hand in hand). Do squats and lunges every other day, but the kettle bell swings are an incredible form of exercise...recently read they do pretty much every part of your body in one swing.
Never entirely keen on treadmills (although easier on my hips) there's something about running outside...especially more urban areas (I find it more interesting).
Thighs, glutes and lower back are in very good shape - Pilates has had an amazing effect on my lower back pain and core muscles - highly recommended....plus...yoga pants :)

I'm like you in wishing i'd done these things earlier in life, only took up running 2.5 years ago, aged 48, since then i have completed numerous half marathons and 10k's, 2 Manchester marathons and am now signed up for New York, Cyprus and another Manchester plus hoping to get on London as well.

There's that bloke who started running in his 80's - now in his 90's and runs with so much vitality still. I think the 40's are the perfect age to crack on...enabled me to have a cultural 'non jock' life previously (the sex, drugs and rock n roll...little of any to be fair) then recalibrate my mind and body now I'm [a little] more mature.

That's incredible though mate...really...making me feel inferior just reading it! Seriously - well done. Do you feel much more mentally buoyant through all this? After a god awful year last year (including a breakdown) all this is leaving me feel better than I've ever been (and it's potentially the cannabinoids rushing through the body isn't it?)
I think the life changing effect of a split (with a family) has rebooted me...highly recommend that too, but if that's not feasible then a few kilos of magic mushrooms may do the trick.
Good luck!

Haven't done it myself but a few people have recommended the Nantwich Tri to me:

https://www.letsdothis.com/gb/e/nor...MIkvHT1PHI5AIVxbHtCh0lDQh7EAAYASAAEgIC-vD_BwE

Pretty much any sprint distance Tri would be a good introduction, though. try the event finder at:

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/search

Thanks for those links Gremlin - I'll take a good look...presuming there isn't a 'triathlon' thread? What's the usual starter kit you'd need? Can you often hire bikes? Just a wetsuit?

That's incredible though mate...really...making me feel inferior just reading it! Seriously - well done. Do you feel much more mentally buoyant through all this? After a god awful year last year (including a breakdown) all this is leaving me feel better than I've ever been (and it's potentially the cannabinoids rushing through the body isn't it?)
I think the life changing effect of a split (with a family) has rebooted me...highly recommend that too, but if that's not feasible then a few kilos of magic mushrooms may do the trick.
Good luck!

Thanks mate, i'm not going to say it saved my life or anything but i was certainly on a downward spiral, drinking far too much and generally not looking after myself as well as i should have been. Went through a turbulent time at home too and the freedom of the running and cycling definitely helped me through it.

I honestly think sports/exercise should be prescribed as medication to some who are suffering mental illnesses before drugs, swimming in particular i believe can be beneficial but even a good walk in the great outdoors must be better than sitting at home alone.

Edit. Fucked up the quote there but hope you get the jist of it.

Good luck!

Thanks mate, i'm not going to say it saved my life or anything but i was certainly on a downward spiral, drinking far too much and generally not looking after myself as well as i should have been. Went through a turbulent time at home too and the freedom of the running and cycling definitely helped me through it.

I honestly think sports/exercise should be prescribed as medication to some who are suffering mental illnesses before drugs, swimming in particular i believe can be beneficial but even a good walk in the great outdoors must be better than sitting at home alone.

Edit. Fucked up the quote there but hope you get the jist of it.

Got the gist and love how you've restyled the quote function :)

Agree wholeheartedly with that too. Started taking my daughter to the gym with me and indeed running. She's 14 and autistic and on a fair bit of sertraline at the moment which isn't ideal (she used to be a really good swimmer before the anxieties got too much). But she's relentless in the gym and I bet she's starting to feel good (partly why I go a lot now).
With a combination of other things such as healthy eating, yoga, pilates and meditation.(small doses of that at the moment) I'm feeling better, less gnarly than I ever have.

I did a half marathon last year. I was in the midst (or at least slowly emerging from) of a breakdown (analogous to a computer reboot in retrospect...absolutely what I needed) and went for a 5k run on a cold, dark winter evening...I guess I was running away from a bit of mental pain (that horrid drowning feeling in a depression) and just kept on running...at 15k I thought I may as well run for a half marathon and so I did. Not the most glamorous half marathons but proved something to myself.

Those tri's are calling me however...as is a Marathon if I get the nod that it won't damage my hips any further.

Any park run times from yesterday? Completed a 15k instead of Park Run as I have eaten poorly all week and the thought of killing myself trying to do a PB seemed a lot worse than a nice evenly paced run and the chance to get a few miles in my legs.

Concur with all the posters above. Weights/resistance bands etc are a must if you are going to run and something I have overlooked all my life.

Struggled with my left knee for years but by strengthening the muscles around it in the gym and with bands have had very little reaction over the last couple of months. It does not have to cost an arm and a leg either. Picked up a set of 3 resistance bands from decathlon for 6 quid and follow a few exercises on youtube. From that alone I have noticed the difference.

Any park run times from yesterday? Completed a 15k instead of Park Run as I have eaten poorly all week and the thought of killing myself trying to do a PB seemed a lot worse than a nice evenly paced run and the chance to get a few miles in my legs.

Concur with all the posters above. Weights/resistance bands etc are a must if you are going to run and something I have overlooked all my life.

Struggled with my left knee for years but by strengthening the muscles around it in the gym and with bands have had very little reaction over the last couple of months. It does not have to cost an arm and a leg either. Picked up a set of 3 resistance bands from decathlon for 6 quid and follow a few exercises on youtube. From that alone I have noticed the difference.

I got a joint PB 23:50 in my Parkrun yesterday.
Felt awful and stopped a couple times - was surprised at my time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.