Golf tips

Can anyone recommend a fairly flat pay and play course around Stockport or South Manchester? Playing my golf as a beginner at Macclesfield which is pretty hilly and tough going. I like Adlington 9 holes but looking for a full 18 somewhere new.

Gatley 9 holes

Alty and Northenden 18 holes

Boysnope is reasonably flat,used to play it when it opened,saplings planted everywhere it’s grown a lot since I last played it
Altrincham is also flat,everything in front of you,17 has been changed,that was the only blind shot I can remember
Yep they’ve swapped the course around, the golf nav shows 500 yards from the green on the first fairway even though its only about 300 yards in total. Good course though but not easy for us higher handicappers (17 at the moment). Btw, if you can get 8 of you the price at weekend is just £15, good value.

Just hit the ball really straight and really far. Chip on to the green with a bit of backspin and pop it in for a birdie.

(I have a spare coaching session over the weekend if you want, I'll send you my account details...)
I used to quite like that pitch and put at Wythy Park as well.

After over 30 yrs in greenkeeping 22 of those as head green keeper. Ignore this saying ...

"When I play well it's down to me , when I play poor it's down to the greenkeeper"

Because it's due to that saying which is 100% true that there is a shortage of good green keepers in this country.

Hence I am an ex head greenkeeper and wont go back into greenkeeping for all the tea in China, plus golf is a dying sport with lots of clubs struggling to make ends meet.

Remember you are not a pro and cannot play the shots they can, play the simple shot. Use the right club for the shot dont expect to stop a ball on a green when using a wood or long iron. Most golfers will need to be at least single figures before they can put back spin on the ball. Use the right ball for the hole ....par 3 soft ball....enjoy your game and remember it's you that put the ball were it lands no one else !!

Last edited:
After over 30 yrs in greenkeeping 22 of those as head green keeper. Ignore this saying ...

"When I play well it's down to me , when I play poor it's down to the greenkeeper"

Because it's due to that saying which is 100% true that there is a shortage of good green keepers in this country.

Hence I am an ex head greenkeeper and wont go back into greenkeeping for all the tea in China, plus golf is a dying sport with lots of clubs struggling to make ends meet.

Remember you are not a pro and cannot play the shots they can, play the simple shot. Use the right club for the shot dont expect to stop a ball on a green when using a wood or long iron. Most golfers will need to be at least single figures before they can put back spin on the ball. Use the right ball for the hole ....par 3 soft ball....enjoy your game and remember it's you that put the ball were it lands no one else !!

I could have been Arnie Palmer but whenever I played the fuckin' holes were too small!

I could have been Arnie Palmer but whenever I played the fuckin' holes were too small!

just for you dave !!

8-inch-golf-cups.jpg

I was having a bit of trouble with my swing so booked an hour with our club Pro, as soon as I had hit half a dozen balls he knew what was wrong, he said I was standing too close to the ball. Am I ? I said , Yes he said, AFTER YOU HAVE HIT IT. Seriously though, how many of you after playing a bad shot have gone through the shot again several times thinking what went wrong, bagging the club and walking after it, yet when you hit a screamer to the centre of the green, you pick your bag up, and march, head held high, straight after it. Not thinking what did I do right when I hit that shot?

Eyes on the ball - Thoughts on the target.

Absolute genius from Shawn Clement. Think about throwing a sledgehammer at the target and it will open your hips, close your face and get you moving forward without even thinking internally about your body movements.

Of all the things I've watched and read he is the best at being able to piece everything together in the most simple way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.