Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

From what I've worked out, since Gundo's come back from injury, we've only failed to win in 7 games where he's not been in the team as an attacking/secondary centre mid. There'll probably be a game or two margin of error but from what I've worked out, we've won 72 out of 79 games with a win-rate at over 91%. That is incredible. When he comes into the team that win rate percentage plummets to the low to mid 60s with us winning 30 out of 47 (give or take a game).

Why on earth would he ever get in the team in that position with a win-rate like that? It defies belief.

I don't think it's fair on Gundogan to say it doesn't work when he is one of the attacking midfielders. He's done well when he has been alongside somebody other than David Silva. With a midfield three containing Rodri, Gundogan and Silva, we are too one paced. Not enough bite and not enough aggression going forward. Too passive.

It was clear in his first season with us that he and Silva as the more advanced two doesn't work but Pep persisted with it and still continues to do so now, more because he doesn't have much choice. I still believe Foden would have done a better job beside either Silva or Gundogan at Norwich or against Wolves. Or Bernardo.

I don't think it's fair on Gundogan to say it doesn't work when he is one of the attacking midfielders. He's done well when he has been alongside somebody other than David Silva. With a midfield three containing Rodri, Gundogan and Silva, we are too one paced. Not enough bite and not enough aggression going forward. Too passive.

It was clear in his first season with us that he and Silva as the more advanced two doesn't work but Pep persisted with it and still continues to do so now, more because he doesn't have much choice. I still believe Foden would have done a better job beside either Silva or Gundogan at Norwich or against Wolves. Or Bernardo.

We don't want to acknowledge that it's the combination it seems, we want to pin it all on Gundogan.

The midfield does not have the legs to run and chase. The comments about Pep and David are a casing point. No legs and yet Foden stays rooted to the bench. Plus no creativity on Sunday and still he stays rooted to the bench. Baffling....

It's quite embarrassing really, people really don't seem to like him.

Well we're City fans, not Gundogan fans so if Gundogan playing in a certain position is hindering City and all the stats suggest that to be true, people are going to complain about it. And FWIW I'm not really blaming Gundogan, he's out of his depth in that position. it's Pep that shouldn't be picking him.

Silva with Gundogan is a disaster but Gundogan playing there full stop is a huge problem for us.

Here's more stats to prove it: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/gundogan-foden-stats-man-city-17046357

We don't want to acknowledge that it's the combination it seems, we want to pin it all on Gundogan.

It's really strange. It's been obvious to me since Pep's first season that it has been an issue. I'm not sure how he misses it considering how good a coach he is.

Well we're City fans, not Gundogan fans so if Gundogan playing in a certain position is hindering City and all the stats suggest that to be true, people are going to complain about it. And FWIW I'm not really blaming Gundogan, he's out of his depth in that position. it's Pep that shouldn't be picking him.

Silva with Gundogan is a disaster but Gundogan playing there full stop is a huge problem for us.

Here's more stats to prove it: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/gundogan-foden-stats-man-city-17046357

Does that really further prove it or is that symptomatic of Gundogan playing a more withdrawn role than Silva when he's at 8?

This thread shows that many guys always look for simplistic explanations: play X and not Y and everyhting is OK. I doubt that the problem right now is Gundogan.

There are several problems: in defence (obviously), in midfiield where both Silva nd Gundogan can't press sufficiently well and also in attack where Raz and Kun boast terrific numbers but blow hot and cold and weren't quite at the races in all games in which we dropped points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.