Bernado Silva misconduct charge: one game ban, £50k fine

So you are excusing UEFA for their inaction over serious offences, Bulgaria should have been facing a long international ban, but condone the vilification of two City players by a media who are as utterly reprehensible as the racists and nut jobs that fill their comments sections. I haven't mentioned Liverpool getting fined, but now you mention it a look into how the Sterling story got to the media should be investigated.

Literally every sentence in that is bollocks.

Did I excuse UEFAs punishment of Bulgaria? No. Did I condone 2 city players being vilified? No I didnt even mention Sterling.

If you want to have an argument where you get to make up what the other person says, I'd suggest an imaginary friend.

What I actually said (I'll repeat it even though you likely wont read it) is that its fucking idiotic to compare fines from 2 different and separate governing bodies and asking why Liverpool didnt get punished for supporting Suarez- something that literally no one has ever been punished for - is also fucking stupid.

I think the Wayne Hennessey case makes for a more compelling argument than the size of any fine. The FA accepted in that case that Hennessey didn't know what a Nazi salute was, which is quite obviously untrue, and dropped the charges. In Bernardo's case they accepted that "the player did not have any knowledge of the historical connotations of the Conguitos character", but banned him regardless. It smacks of double standards to me.

Anyway, the club and Silva have accepted the punishment, albeit reluctantly, so I think there's little point in dwelling on it. Time to draw a line under it and move on. Hopefully Bernardo can recapture the form he showed last season.

I agree to some extent. The Hennessey thing was one of the most mad defences ever, and I can only assume that the FA lawyers thought they couldn't disprove it enough to back any punishment.

I don't remember what regulation he was charged under, and if it was him posting it on social media. If he didn't post it, and just acted like a dick, that's a bit different.

I don't think there are enough charges of this type to have a punishment matrix drawn up to refer to.

If City players score at CFC, show an image of Bernardo. It would be particularly good if Mendy did it.

City fans I hope will be singing Bernardo's name.

I don't think the "Powers that Be" quite know how to handle these cases.

Officially brand someone a racist, and it's an accusation / blight on that person's character from which they'll never recover.

But ignore the incident and you're seen as at best, weak ... at worst, tacitly condoning it.

The result is that they end up fudging it by saying " Well, what you did was racist ... but you're not racist yourself".
As we've seen with Hennessey, Bernardo, etc.

It's a bit of a minefield ?

Its the principal of the fine. If anything he should be getting damages for slander.

I disagree - I think the ban was too much, but the fine, although eye watering for us, is a slap on the wrists for him - enough to make a statement to the world though. The fine and no ban would be the ideal outcome for everyone, in light if the fact that the tweet was sent and received with no malicious intent.

I disagree - I think the ban was too much, but the fine, although eye watering for us, is a slap on the wrists for him - enough to make a statement to the world though. The fine and no ban would be the ideal outcome for everyone, in light if the fact that the tweet was sent and received with no malicious intent.

How is it right to be fined when he did nowt racist?

Imagine being up in court and being found not gulilty and the beak says but i am fining you 50 quid just to keep the prosecution sweet. Its ridiculous.

Imagine being up in court and being found not gulilty and the beak says but i am fining you 50 quid just to keep the prosecution sweet. Its ridiculous.

I made a post earlier, but I'll copy it here so you don't have to search:

The problem is the wider context. I 100% agree that Bernardo meant nothing malicious by his tweet - but what about everyone else? There are racists and bigots in the world. How do you respond to some school kid using a similar meme, or the office bigot, targeting a black kid or black guy respectively. Because now they hide behind the justification that it's just a joke - look Bernardo Silva Did the exact same thing, and no one made anything of it. And now this behavior, however innoculous, is normalised. And then in a couple of months or a couple of years, the next controversy will arise, and the argument will be 'well this isn't so much different from Silva's tweet, why should we allow that and not this?". The waters become muddied,more gray areas. Racism thrives in the gray areas, few people are overtly racist nowadays, but not taking action, making a stance allows the boundaries of what we as a society consider acceptable to be pushed more and more. And that makes it shittier for everyone!

He wasn't because the charge was not "did something racist", and he wasn't found not guilty. He admitted the offence!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.