David Silva - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love him as much as anyone but sadly I don't want to see him in the starting line up in both legs against R. Madrid

I'd like to remember him as he was, not as he is, when you pray he's not in the starting XI. It's painful to watch him these days and he doesn't even look like his heart is in it.
Been saying it for years. When players fall off due to age, it's always sudden. You can be great one year and you'd become average by the next season. Once you are in your 30's it can happen at any time.

Dave was good for half a season longer than I predicted. Kudos to the legend. the Best City player ever. But the time has now come for Dave to only close games out.

He is still one of the best we have at retaining the ball and could be very useful against Madrid if we need to hang on, if we are chasing the game then no sadly as much as I love him.

The assesement of his performance is way to harsch due to the result IMO.
He might be fading a bit but Palace players where not having fun playing against him.
For me, He's still a top player on the ball. But not for 90 minutes.
The biggest problem IMO is that he's having trouble sustaining a high press.
We have been punished with counters and balls over the top because of it.
To be fair, it's not just David. Our pressing has often been out of sync this season regardless of personel.

Been saying it for years. When players fall off due to age, it's always sudden. You can be great one year and you'd become average by the next season. Once you are in your 30's it can happen at any time.

Dave was good for half a season longer than I predicted. Kudos to the legend. the Best City player ever. But the time has now come for Dave to only close games out.

I agree. He's the best player to bring on when you want control.
Still think he has a few top performances in him. They just won't be full 90 minutes performances.
He could extend his career in a role where he doesn't have to do as much pressing because that's the thing that's killing his legs.
That role obviously doesn't exist at city but he could do a team strugling for posession a world of good.
Hope he plays for a few more years because he's too good to quit.

I agree. He's the best player to bring on when you want control.
Still think he has a few top performances in him. They just won't be full 90 minutes performances.
He could extend his career in a role where he doesn't have to do as much pressing because that's the thing that's killing his legs.
That role obviously doesn't exist at city but he could do a team strugling for posession a world of good.
Hope he plays for a few more years because he's too good to quit.
Rumors are he is heading over here. But not to NY FC :(

On 60 minutes most round me had their money on Sterling, Bernardo or Gundogan getting the hook before David. Pep had to bring on the extra attacker though to mix it up. He was even bordering on apologetic to David when he came off.

Certainly not his best game but always difficult with 2 banks of 4 defending very narrow. A 25 year old no.21 would have found it difficult today.

Having said that he did find himself in the penalty area quite a few times especially 1st half to his credit. My criticism would be his shooting. Nothing to do with legs having gone or these fictional sloppy passes.

He played very well for a whole 90 minutes against Villa only 6 days previous... & they say a week is a long time in politics!

On to Sheffield we go.

The assesement of his performance is way to harsch due to the result IMO.
He might be fading a bit but Palace players where not having fun playing against him.
For me, He's still a top player on the ball. But not for 90 minutes.
The biggest problem IMO is that he's having trouble sustaining a high press.
We have been punished with counters and balls over the top because of it.
To be fair, it's not just David. Our pressing has often been out of sync this season regardless of personel.
That’s the entire point though. Our team needs the high press to function properly. So if David can’t do it any more, as you correctly state, then he should never be in contention for a starting spot. And I mean never. He should only come of the bench late when the situation requires him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.