Bernardo Silva - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't a 10 like what we want. He doesn't create goals out of nothing (from passing), or offer directness in central areas.

Instead if he was in the midfield 2 he is basically perfect because of his engine, control and having more space from behind our actual 10.

I tend to disagree with this. He's an attacking midfielder. His strengths are dribbling and shooting. He's not a midfielder who can play out of pressure with passing which we need. A perfect example is when he tried to dribble out from the midfield and got caught. When he does play deeper he shields the ball and dribbles around, but it slows down the attack. It was obvious when Foden switched to the middle. We moved the ball quicker and created more chances. I love the guy, but sadly I think Bernardo can only play on the right as long as he has Kev who creates width on the outside so he can invert.

I tend to disagree with this. He's an attacking midfielder. His strengths are dribbling and shooting. He's not a midfielder who can play out of pressure with passing which we need. A perfect example is when he tried to dribble out from the midfield and got caught. When he does play deeper he shields the ball and dribbles around, but it slows down the attack. It was obvious when Foden switched to the middle. We moved the ball quicker and created more chances. I love the guy, but sadly I think Bernardo can only play on the right as long as he has Kev who creates width on the outside so he can invert.
I agree with some but not all of your points. Most of this depends on who is playing around him also.

Dribbling is not his strength, I am referring to direct dribbling that gets you past and beyond your opponent.
He instead has what I would call excellent ball control, he doesn't lose it. His shooting is also pretty good I agree.

You actually have made my point regarding Foden also, Foden is the more natural direct 10 as he doesn't slow down the play which we need for our 10.
In midfield I disagree with you regarding Bernardo, that when he in fact shields and controls the ball, it is not a big problem if he slows down the attack, the key is he doesn't lose it in midfield.

The other point is his engine is far more valuable in a midfield 2 than as the 10 because it is not as vital in that role, we need more of a "big" player there and Foden, Kevin, Mahrez are better.

Just to add to his RW role where he plays occasionally, he plays fine there because of the time and space he has, usually if we build on the right then he can roam and find space. He works hard to defend the wing and doesn't lose the ball as well, which is why he is competent there, but still not ideal for me.

Been fucking awful on the whole this season.

It’s like watching your mate try and hit on the same person in the bar week after week, with no success.

We've spent the whole season getting him on the ball with his back to goal. That's not his game. Play to our players strengths

Not great and part of it is down to the racism charge and the media shitstorm that had surrounded it.

I agree with some but not all of your points. Most of this depends on who is playing around him also.

Dribbling is not his strength, I am referring to direct dribbling that gets you past and beyond your opponent.
He instead has what I would call excellent ball control, he doesn't lose it. His shooting is also pretty good I agree.

You actually have made my point regarding Foden also, Foden is the more natural direct 10 as he doesn't slow down the play which we need for our 10.
In midfield I disagree with you regarding Bernardo, that when he in fact shields and controls the ball, it is not a big problem if he slows down the attack, the key is he doesn't lose it in midfield.

The other point is his engine is far more valuable in a midfield 2 than as the 10 because it is not as vital in that role, we need more of a "big" player there and Foden, Kevin, Mahrez are better.

Just to add to his RW role where he plays occasionally, he plays fine there because of the time and space he has, usually if we build on the right then he can roam and find space. He works hard to defend the wing and doesn't lose the ball as well, which is why he is competent there, but still not ideal for me.

Okay you can say ball control instead of dribbling. Yes he has good control, but as good as Bernardo is with ball control I've seen him lose it in midfield. Which is where you don't want to lose it. Under pressure you aren't always going to get away from a press using your ball control. No matter how good you are. What's needed in that position is someone who reads the game and know where the pass will go before it gets to him. From deeper you need to be able to recycle the ball left to right quickly and be a deep lying playmaker at times. Maybe we have different opinions on what a #10 is. A playmaker who can create in advanced positions. In my opinion this is Bernardo in a 4-2-3-1. Phil is a #10 also, but you can see he also has qualities that can be a #8. I also don't buy this Bernardo has an engine in the midfield. Yes he gives his all, but Phil is quicker and just as good in closing down and winning balls.

If Foden put in a performance like that then we wouldn’t see him for months. Been shite all season less a few flickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.