The FTSE

I wish I had been fearful in January beacuse like many others, I've "lost" a shed load. But at least I am in the fortunate position to be greedy now.

I'm holding on and not selling a single share. I will patiently wait for the recovery, which always, I repeat always, arrives.

Anyway, buying high and selling low is never a successful strategy.

You are 100 per cent right - the markets will recover and the general trend of the markets is always upwards. Just a note of caution - this corona virus may have a significantly greater impact on some sectors than others - and that might mean you want to look at the sectors you invest in.

I’m in the fortunate position that I can wait for my investments to go back up. If the experience of post 2009 is repeated, they’ll be back up within a couple of years and will do much better than the market in general. The only concern is that I’m more down in 3 weeks now than I was in the 5 months it took from 2008 to 2009 to reach the bottom, and there’s no clue as to when it will hit the bottom. It wouldn’t surprise me if it halves by the time it hits the bottom. One thing’s for sure is that it’s too late to bail out. The losses would be too big.

I’m in the fortunate position that I can wait for my investments to go back up. If the experience of post 2009 is repeated, they’ll be back up within a couple of years and will do much better than the market in general. The only concern is that I’m more down in 3 weeks now than I was in the 5 months it took from 2008 to 2009 to reach the bottom, and there’s no clue as to when it will hit the bottom. It wouldn’t surprise me if it halves by the time it hits the bottom. One thing’s for sure is that it’s too late to bail out. The losses would be too big.

Worth reiterating that important point you have made; seen a few posts on here with generic statements about predicted ftse future movements based on historic activity.Everything is relative and using simplified words such as up and down without relative benchmarks and trading time ranges can be misleading.

Be very careful with this one as this is the big one - having started working in the late 80s in this sector, I have sat through quite a few of the well known ones, this is all together a different animal we are dealing with here and worried some people are going out on knife catching expeditions and bottom fishing trips could be slaughtered. I have never given any warnings or recommendations etc before because it’s not my shout as all can do what they want, but unless you have experience in trading and most importantly exposure to risk mitigation financial products I personally would stay out for now.

Was there a big drop today?
I put £2500 in a low risk wealthsimple account a month ago and have lost over £100 (lot of that today).

It would be bad to panic and take it all out now, right?
Wait a while.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.