The FTSE

I've stopped checking mine, works very well to relieve anxiety ike when I stopped watching the dippers half way through the season. I have a bit, but not too much, that I could use to have a punt on something while prices are low but have decided to keep that where it is as a cash reserve in case I can't work or to pay for a nice holiday once this is all over.

Just taken a punt on a couple of travel companies. Both 80% down in a month so I'll either lose the lot if they go bust or make a few quid on the bounce back. No idea which way it will go but they both have long term profitable track records so worth a gamble imo. I've also bought into an oil company which is down 50% in a month. I'm reasonably confident they won't go bust but it might take some time to get back.

If it was RD Shell, that's not a bad punt in my opinion. Massive dividend yield, a strong balance sheet, and I noticed one of the non-exec Directors topped up his holding by 10,000 shares on Monday. Only small change for him I know but I'm taking it a positive sign.

I bought TUI Tuesday. Will average down if it breaks £2.

It will be completely 'broken' within a month.

Just like Thomas Cook, they have terrible cash flow and the government aren't bailing out any business that was already on its arse.

Same goes for Intu.

I have knowledge of JD Sports. Don't touch em, can't get the shoes from China and highly leveraged buying other sports shops in the States.

It will be completely 'broken' within a month.

Just like Thomas Cook, they have terrible cash flow and the government aren't bailing out any business that was already on its arse.

Same goes for Intu.

I have knowledge of JD Sports. Don't touch em, can't get the shoes from China and highly leveraged buying other sports shops in the States.

Only in for 2 or the price of a good holiday that we sadly cannot now enjoy so either way it was spent money. Hard to draw analogies as I think T.C had more issues with debt they incurred during the acquisition of My Travel. A bridge too far for them most surely. Assets to liabilities of tui and easy jet don't look anywhere near appealing mate but that's typical of the sector. Have a look at their last 5 year chart happily bobbing along the £10 mark with highs of £17. We like holidaying and believe the sector will eventualy recover but regardless of the pace sub £3.00 is a great entry point. As always Dyor.

Last edited:
@flyer thanks for posting. I’m in the process of transferring out. In some ways couldn’t be a worse time but then I think had I requested a figure now it would be much lower, and there are clearly gains to be made soon. I’m going to put it in cash first then sit down with my FA to see whats best. Hope the recovery comes soon.

@flyer thanks for posting. I’m in the process of transferring out. In some ways couldn’t be a worse time but then I think had I requested a figure now it would be much lower, and there are clearly gains to be made soon. I’m going to put it in cash first then sit down with my FA to see whats best. Hope the recovery comes soon.
Hiya bud, I’ve mentioned before that I’m snowed under with work and many are DB transfers. It’s not actually a bad time to transfer out as transfer values on DB’s are the highest they’re ever likely to go due to the way they are calculated (based on 15 gilt dividend which is through the floor).

If you’re worried about entering a volatile market then make use of pound cost averaging and hold the majority in cash and then drip your funds into the market over the next 6-18 months to reduce risk.

As an example, I’ve just transferred one scheme for £1.4m and he started with all but £200k staying in cash and he’s dripping that cash in at £50k every two weeks for the next year or so. That way if the markets are volatile he’s buying more units as it drops. His timescale is 5-10 years before he draws down on income.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.