COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key thing that no country knows currently is what range the death rate is with this virus. In the UK you can definitely put at least one nought on the end of the number of cases but it could be two or even three depending on which study you believe is credible. One by Oxford University says it is possible that half the UK population has got it or has had it.

Although the absolute numbers of deaths look shocking it is very probable that the death rate is far below 1%.

This one really interests me because it's not a full on ICU ventilator, but apparently putting people on it before they would need a proper ventilator means some can recover without ever needing to get to ICU.

100 a day is amazing numbers too, and the Welsh Government already approved it.

We just need to get through the next month. We're going to be so much better equipped to fight it by then.

It sounds great and if one factory can knock out 100 a day there should be plenty available.

Advice needed

My nephew has a job where he delivers water for water fountains etc, most of his jobs are to hospitals.
His partner and 6 year old Son have severe asthma and he'd obviously concerned as his company are not shutting down and he's worried about picking up the virus in a hospital & then giving it to his partner & children.
Should he self isolate, he knows he'd get SSP but would he get help with his rent ?
Sorry for asking on here but he tried phoning 111 but didn't get anywhere
If he doesn't have any symptoms he should keep working for now

The key thing that no country knows currently is what range the death rate is with this virus. In the UK you can definitely put at least one nought on the end of the number of cases but it could be two or even three depending on which study you believe is credible. One by Oxford University says it is possible that half the UK population has got it or has had it.

That Oxford University study is not 'credible'.

Spain looks like it will be in a terrible way in the next week. It will overtake Italy eventually. They should have acted sooner in stopping the people in Madrid from travelling to different parts of the country. There's been a spike in Valencia the last couple of days too. We had thousands gather in the city here for 8/9 days of Fallas before it was cancelled. That was 16 days ago.

https://english.elpais.com/society/...Jd8NPSLd2OobIZgpUkFU0NXaJo3HcjP2s8vYR8EoAbp94

Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing you're on the mend. What with you being from sturdy farming stock (I think).
Do you have any idea as to when/where you picked it up?
Fairly sure from some work colleagues who'd been in Japan, few of them in the same boat.

I agree but clearly there are many times the number of confirmed cases. Say 500,000 people have it (that could be a huge underestimate) then the death rate is less than 0.1%.

The death rate is much higher than that, we know that for certain based on people who have been tested.

I really doubt the infection rate is that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.