COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in asbestos removal by trade but the company I work for also have a demolition division. We ain't got any asbestos work currently so I am working with the demo lads on site.

The site I am on at the minute is in Birmingham city centre about 5 mins walk from The Childrens hospital so it's a pretty busy area.

I've been uneasy about going to work for a few days now as my wife is classed as high risk because she has Ulcerative Colitis and is on immuno suppressant medication.

I got a text last night after the PM's speech to say it was business as usual today and all sites remained open. I reluctantly went in this morning as unfortunately money talks as my wife is a self employed hairdresser and has stopped working because we have 2 kids and nobody to look after them and obviously hairdressers have been told to stop work.

When I got on site this morning it was as if nothing had been said previously. 20 blokes sat in a canteen, 3 toilets between everyone just a breeding ground for germs. We had a safety meeting and were told to keep 2m apart at all times and that was it. Crack on lads.

I thought fuck it and have gone on self isolation for 14 days and just take the hit of being payed £94 a week. Hopefully the government see sense and shut these down so people can get the 80% wages.

Christ! Good luck

I'm in asbestos removal by trade but the company I work for also have a demolition division. We ain't got any asbestos work currently so I am working with the demo lads on site.

The site I am on at the minute is in Birmingham city centre about 5 mins walk from The Childrens hospital so it's a pretty busy area.

I've been uneasy about going to work for a few days now as my wife is classed as high risk because she has Ulcerative Colitis and is on immuno suppressant medication.

I got a text last night after the PM's speech to say it was business as usual today and all sites remained open. I reluctantly went in this morning as unfortunately money talks as my wife is a self employed hairdresser and has stopped working because we have 2 kids and nobody to look after them and obviously hairdressers have been told to stop work.

When I got on site this morning it was as if nothing had been said previously. 20 blokes sat in a canteen, 3 toilets between everyone just a breeding ground for germs. We had a safety meeting and were told to keep 2m apart at all times and that was it. Crack on lads.

I thought fuck it and have gone on self isolation for 14 days and just take the hit of being payed £94 a week. Hopefully the government see sense and shut these down so people can get the 80% wages.
Well played. It's ridiculous that construction is still running and the government's weasel words on this have been pathetic. They should be demanding that companies shut down, not advising. Unless you're building a fucking hospital, it's not a key service.

Does anyone know you will be paid the 80% if you are currently working and get laid off "on temp basis". Company I work for look like they will lay a load of us off on Thursday.
You should be OK. That's what the scheme is designed for: temporary lay-offs without loss of job.

Unless you mean a few days lay-off here and there. That isn't in the spirit of the scheme and I think your employer would risk getting bombed out on reimbursement.

Advice needed

My nephew has a job where he delivers water for water fountains etc, most of his jobs are to hospitals.
His partner and 6 year old Son have severe asthma and he'd obviously concerned as his company are not shutting down and he's worried about picking up the virus in a hospital & then giving it to his partner & children.
Should he self isolate, he knows he'd get SSP but would he get help with his rent ?
Sorry for asking on here but he tried phoning 111 but didn't get anywhere

I am self employed, have a cleaning company cleaning carpets and also patio’s etc.
Took the decision to not do any inside jobs last week.
In theory i could crack on with my outside work but took the decision last night to close up shop full stop.

Such a big decision. Scary. Financially daunting. But, i think, morally correct.

Had a few bits to do today and seeing how people are carrying on regardless made me think why im bothering

But this is what im doing and hopefully doing my bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.