COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easier said than done that pal. Have you any idea how much of what you buy comes from China? Apart from what you eat, there is barely a thing that may not have been made there and it's often impossible to tell at the time of purchase, and sometimes even afterwards.

I suppose people on here boycotting chinese stuff are ditching city then?

Or at least 13.79% of the club

Last edited:
An interesting stat: More people died from this yesterday than have died from in in China in total.

Wow. Every single day from now on, that will continue to be the case and given the world is nowhere near the peak, I imagine it will be the case for months.

Interesting (and deeply saddening) but so what? Well if it only carries on like this for a couple of months, that would the death count outside of China is more than 60x that of China itself. Probably much more, depending on how high the world daily death rate gets.

And yet China accounts for 1/6th of the world's population. It only goes to show how the world has dropped the ball on this. A country with 1/6th of the world population is going to end up with less than 1/60th of the deaths. My guess is a much smaller fraction indeed - maybe 1/600th.

China showed us how best to respond with an immediate lockdown and severe travel restrictions in their own country. But we - not just here in the UK but pretty much everywhere else - waited too long and allowed people to freely move around whilst the virus was silently permeating the population. And we will get to see the results of that play out every day for the next few months.

It's a personal decision Kaz but I will be avoiding buying Chinese products from now on. Most of its crap anyway.
Ditto.
China lied. China denied what was happening They tried to hide it. They did nothing to stop it spreading out of their country. By the time they realised it couldn't be hidden and that they needed to do somthing, it was too late.
Taiwan dealt with the CCP the way they should be dealt with.
There is no fucking way that I will knowingly buy anything made in China again until the CCP come clean and do somthing about their abysmal animal farming, slaughter, market and veterinary practices. It's not just Wet Markets either. They wiped out their pig population last year due to the same culture of deceipt:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/simina...isis-will-impact-global-trade-well-into-2020/

An interesting stat: More people died from this yesterday than have died from in in China in total.

Wow. Every single day from now on, that will continue to be the case and given the world is nowhere near the peak, I imagine it will be the case for months.

Interesting (and deeply saddening) but so what? Well if it only carries on like this for a couple of months, that would the death count outside of China is more than 60x that of China itself. Probably much more, depending on how high the world daily death rate gets.

And yet China accounts for 1/6th of the world's population. It only goes to show how the world has dropped the ball on this. A country with 1/6th of the world population is going to end up with less than 1/60th of the deaths. My guess is a much smaller fraction indeed - maybe 1/600th.

China showed us how best to respond with an immediate lockdown and severe travel restrictions in their own country. But we - not just here in the UK but pretty much everywhere else - waited too long and allowed people to freely move around whilst the virus was silently permeating the population. And we will get to see the results of that play out every day for the next few months.

Whilst Italy and Spain were still too slow, especially not locking down the epicentres, they can be excused to a degree because it was rampant in those areas before the knew about. Other countries don't have that excuse. Sweden is still going about as normal. Madness.

This is a good Analysis

By BBC health reporter Philippa Roxby

Despite today's news of the largest rise in people dying in the UK with Covid-19, the message is that everything we are all doing now to reduce social contact is having an impact - we just can't see it in the figures yet.

That's because it takes time for the effects of not going out and not going to work to be felt in hospitals, where the most seriously ill are being tested and some are, sadly, dying.

The epidemic is expected to peak in the UK in the next two to three weeks.

Until then, it is likely the number of people confirmed to have the coronavirus and the number of people dying after testing positive for the virus will continue to grow at a similar pace - doubling every two or three days.

The hope is that everyone's efforts now to stay at home and reduce the spread of this deadly virus will slow that growth rate at the right time, and, in time, bring it down.

Every one of us now has a part to play in making that happen.

I sincerely hope the above is wildly pessimistically wrong !

"the number of people dying after testing positive for the virus will continue to grow at a similar pace - doubling every two or three days."

Let's say it's only every 3 days and also that the peak is only 2 weeks away not 3. The best case interpretation of that quote.

That would mean 6,000 people dying every day at the peak.

Surely that must be wrong? I imagine the death rate will not rise so fast because many people have been self isolated for weeks now and way before the government asked us to. Hopefully that will have an effect. If not then our prospects are way worse than those of Italy.

Last edited:

If you think the Chinese figures are accurate you’re fucking deluded.
And as for the rest of the world dropping the ball, that finger wants pointing at China and the WHO.

On another forum which most likely has threads such as;

• Favourite flavour of crayon
  • Tastiest windows to lick
  • Mouth breathing for beginners
  • Sisters - the forbidden love
how come you know all the best sites,any chance you can list them all

If you think the Chinese figures are accurate you’re fucking deluded.
And as for the rest of the world dropping the ball, that finger wants pointing at China and the WHO.
I agree about the WHO. As to whether China's numbers are reliable, who knows. But they would have to be out by a factor of more than 10x - not just a bit out - for them to have not fared better than the rest of the planet.

Immediate Chinese lock down? Only if you're talking about locking down whistle blowers.
They waited longer than Boris did to lock their people down - and then did it in the most draconian way possible.
The first cases were known at the end of November. They locked down on January 23. That's two months of exponential spread in the crowded City of Wuhan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.