Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Brace yourself, points per game arguments are coming.
I still don’t understand how PPG can be classed as fair? When you think about it, it’s an arbitrary system where if 2 teams have averaged the same points over the course of the season but one of them plays and collects maximum points in an extra game then they will win on the PPG system as the team that wasn’t afforded the chance to claim the maximum points can only receive the average points it has earned.

United seem to benefit from a PPG whilst Sheffield United lose out. That has huge consequences for a possible CL spot.

Wouldn’t a fairer system be by deciding positions on the same games played, ie. all points after 28 games?

I do wonder if UEFA have given assurances that 5th position receive a CL spot due to the uncertainty of the completion of the CAS case.

Reading that BBC article from the point of view of the clubs under threat of relegation it has to be fair, however how do you have a home advantage any more when the grounds will be empty? The advantage is largely gone...
I'd make a guess that the relegation threatened teams want the league cancelled pure and simple, they're just raising objections to make it impossible to continue. They don't come out as being more concerned about themselves then.

Page 1010 and still we wait for the footballing authorities to make a decision. Every competition has to be cancelled/null n void, the integrity of any competition will be lost in any restart.

So many points that make the integrity questionable, just for the premiership, 5 subs, short game time, neutral grounds, using PPE which should be for the NHS, 4 or5 month break, players and managers all over the world to the moment. Players out of contract, no fans, no VAR. Can someone tell me this is the premier league because it's not any of the premier league games I have been to this season. And I dont remember reading or being told that after 75% of the season rules can be changed. We can use VAR for 75% of the season to make sure liverpool are well clear and scrap it with 25% of the season to go !.
People are and have died yet thought out all football has cared about it playing and its TV money. Thankfully City have helped out the community and the NHS, and I would hope so have other clubs.

To me this season is over not interested in any restart, all efforts should be on how and when a new season can start , not a rushed restart

Have you just flown in from Pluto, Marv?

Any sport, and the mass charade that will undoubtedly accompany it, should only return when it’s absolutely safe to do so.

They way it is being suggested is not normal. Behind closed doors. Shortened games. Players wearing masks. Players having to quarantine before hand. That is not football and it applies to any other large sporting organisations who are simply looking to do one thing on the back of this.

Profiteer.
Well welcome to the world of business. This is the profit system and all business activity operates in that context.

The UK is targeting a return to a 'new normal', and football, and other sports are part of that. There are many things we will find odd when we return. Buses and trains full when they are 9/10ths empty. Supermarkets and shops with capacity constraints. Motorised scooters!

Welcome to the new normal. You are not expected to embrace it.

If football restarts and it starts the second wave who will the media blame? For me it has to be the government if they give the go ahead today that premier can start in June.

Page 1010 and still we wait for the footballing authorities to make a decision. Every competition has to be cancelled/null n void, the integrity of any competition will be lost in any restart.

So many points that make the integrity questionable, just for the premiership, 5 subs, short game time, neutral grounds, using PPE which should be for the NHS, 4 or5 month break, players and managers all over the world to the moment. Players out of contract, no fans, no VAR. Can someone tell me this is the premier league because it's not any of the premier league games I have been to this season. And I dont remember reading or being told that after 75% of the season rules can be changed. We can use VAR for 75% of the season to make sure liverpool are well clear and scrap it with 25% of the season to go !.
People are and have died yet thought out all football has cared about it playing and its TV money. Thankfully City have helped out the community and the NHS, and I would hope so have other clubs.

To me this season is over not interested in any restart, all efforts should be on how and when a new season can start , not a rushed restart
Well maybe the PL restart will stall but as a City fans I would like City to explore the opportunity of playing out the Champions league. Not ideal circumstances but surely it would be better to have a crack at beating Real madrid and getting to the final, even if it is without fans, than not playing at all? And that goes for next season's Premier League. Some people do not want football to continue without the fans but it has to or there will be no football to return to.

It's about gritting your teeth and getting through this period, and preserving what you love.

If a player goes back into training or plays a match and catches the virus so badly he has to retire. Can he sue his club or fa or is it treated the same as a bad injury retirement ?

It’s a minefield if the government give the go ahead it covers the backs of the premier they just will point at the government giving the go ahead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.