UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, agree. I assume our defence will reference other cases, but if it boils down to PSG got away with it so we should too, we’re in trouble.

From what I’ve read and understand, a lot is riding on what we described as “irrefutable evidence”. Pessimist in me wonders if this is irrefutable why hasn’t UEFA seen it? Optimist in me trusts in Khaldoon.

How do we know UEFA haven’t seen our evidence? The impression I got from one of the club statements is that they had seen it but chose to ignore it.

Glad that we've finally got a date for the hearing and hoping, of course, that we will be fully exonerated. Very hard to predict with any confidence though how a three man panel will adjudicate on virtually any case.

The law is as you suggest always hard to predict however, this case would seem to rest on 3 points. 1) Did UEFA follow its own procedures in the hearing and judgement of our case - that doesn’t on the face of it look good for UEFA if they didn’t read our dossier of evidence - of course they are saying we didn’t cooperate but if we provided the dossier (which I think we did) the onus is on them to read it. 2). The Der Spiegel Email’s need to be explained - are they accurate, do they provide evidence of wrongdoing or can the context of the emails be changed so that they can be explained in such a way that does not imply that we funded our own sponsorship - I think much rests on Etihad’s funding which I don’t believe for a second came from our owner ( I think in cases like this a UEFA will have to prove it did rather than us or Etihad prove it didn’t). 3). We need to provide evidence of our sponsorships - amounts agreed in the contracts versus amounts received and prove on the balance of probabilities that none of the money came from our owner. This will be a black and white case. If we win we get no ban, no sanction and we are free to rip UEFA and the media a new one. Lose and we are in deep shit and our owners credibility is blown so the stakes couldn’t be higher. Looking at the two parties in question - despite having my blue tinted specs welded on I know who I’d back and I have every confidence that we will be cleared and that WW3 will break out in summer 2020 - with numerous UEFA officials being thrown under buses, taxis and any other mode of transport.

I think it would be strange for someone to appoint an arbitrator who was obviously partisan!

In general:
The Panel is composed of one or three arbitrators.

The parties may agree on the method of appointment of the arbitrators from the CAS list.
Or
each party appoints one, and those two appoint the third (and panel leader, I think, as it's called President).

Lets be honest here, we have probably done a few things "not in the spirit of fair play" but probably thought there was a loophole in the way the FFP guidance was written. I expect CAS to say we were guilty on some points but the punishment was too severe and throw it back to UEFA.
UEFA then knock the ban down to one season and we miss next years competition which is probably going to be behind closed doors anyway.
I think our top players would probably accept 1 season without European football and would probably not want to move anyway under the current climate.

I think it would be strange for someone to appoint an arbitrator who was obviously partisan!

In general:
The Panel is composed of one or three arbitrators.

The parties may agree on the method of appointment of the arbitrators from the CAS list.
Or
each party appoints one, and those two appoint the third (and panel leader, I think, as it's called President).

Exactly you get to pick from a list. It’s a bit like when the defence chose the members of the jury - it’s not an open choice and the fact you get to chose probably has no bearing on the outcome. The arbitrators will be high calibre professional legal experts - who I think we can rest assured will be sufficiently impartial not to risk their professional reputations on what for them is a minor but high profile case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.