Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it or not, alex ferguson is the standard of winning managers in the premier league. You would never have seen him play in such a way in the champions league or admit to being afraid of the main contenders in liverpool and klopp.

They are human,it was shocking to make them afraid to put a foot wrong and be afraid of lyon,they were not madrid or bayern ffs ,this is his insecurity projected onto the team and not the other way around,they have played one way for four years,it is difficult and against their instincts to go ultra defensive,it is a skill set,it takes more than a few days training
Maybe it's a difference in mentality. You see it as "be afraid of Lyon", I see the change in tactics as "being smarter and better than others". I would pride myself in my ability if the manger thought that I was tactically versatile enough to play a different role in a CL QF. If anything that would boost my confidence. Pep changes Kevin's role nearly every match - false 9, attacking midfielder, free 8, double pivot even sometimes as crazy as right wing back. Never seen him lose confidence or drop his head. He's always excellent. Maybe other players should learn from him, if they genuinely lost confidence in their abilities because of a tactical tweak.

I've long thought that Pep needs a Director of Football who'll challenge him robustly after nights like tonight. Creative tension if you like, where the coach has to justify his decisions or be told he was wrong in no uncertain terms. I don't think it works when the DoF is your mate. I wonder how much 'groupthink' there is among the coaching team.
I’m not doing a Txiki out thing here, but the squad planning has been really subpar for probably around five years now. Generally speaking, we wait for something to become a huge problem and then try to address it, rather than you know, trying to anticipate weaknesses before they happen. It’s so reactionary and constantly either leaves us exposed or puts us in situations where we suddenly need like six players. Off the top of my head:

• We wasted Pep’s first season here with horrendous fullbacks, needed four new ones, and because that’s not a realistic thing to do, have paid for it ever since with converted midfielders and right backs playing left back, etc.
  • After having Jorginho fall through, we went into a season with just Fernandinho as DM (got away with that one).
  • Gave Otamendi an extension for ...no reason and made him untransferable when we needed a foreign slot.
  • Couldn’t replace Vinny with anyone except Harry Maguire for some reason despite it being completely obvious that we needed a new centerback last year. That one probably lost us the league.
These are in addition to pretty questionable recruitment decisions as well. I really like Rodri as a player, but why didn’t we just try and get another dynamic, atheltic player like Fernandinho when he was so good there rather than a Busquets clone? Mahrez is a failed transfer. Why did we mostly sit out the last two summers? Instead of being forced into major surgery this summer we should’ve been trying to get younger and bring in new faces here and there.

Last edited:
I don't understand the last bit of his post. Everyone knows Ferdinand doesn't like City.
The clip shows Ferdinand suggesting that the Laporte was fouled and the goal shouldn't have stood. Laporte's saying that if even Rio, who has no love for City, is suggesting that then maybe people should take a closer look at VAR.

Like it or not, alex ferguson is the standard of winning managers in the premier league. You would never have seen him play in such a way in the champions league or admit to being afraid of the main contenders in liverpool and klopp.
Erm totally changed the way they played for the 2012 derby,he was scared and said after he shouldn't have done it

He got it wrong but nobody died. Just one.of those things. I was highly critical but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.