Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

I hope the Pep out brigade have the balls to stick with it this time, unlike in 2016 when 99% of them melted into the background and pretended they never wrote him off while soaking up the success he brought to the club.
He inherited from Pellegrini and his best mate a squad with 4 full backs with a combined age approaching 140 and a past-it Yaya, so he gets a pass on that year tbf.
Since then, though, it’s all on him and his best mate. No excuses. Its their squad.
He has been handed perfect conditions that any other coach would dream of. Huge investment and a club he can shape as his own with zero internal pressure.
He can’t take credit for the successes without also taking responsibility for the failures. And for the last 18 months he has failed miserably.
Two legendary seasons but two absolute skip fires. And this one is already heading towards the latter rather than the former.
So I’m genuinely interested how the acolytes can defend this last 18 months

Both were guilty for the first goal, in fact it came from Rubens side, Cancelo didn't help either, didn't go with Son. It was a proper mess defensively for me.
Yeah, they caught us cold before we had settled into the game.

I think what was so dis-heartening about that performance was that it was so predictable and came as no surprise .

A performance that was frustrating and slow, with little opr no ability to change the momentum of the game.

Seeing Mahrez in the team gave all the wrong signs out because he is incapable or raising his game with the same sub-standard performances, time after time. He needs to be sold in the transfer window imo.

Poor use of subs by Pep to introduce something different also was disappointing but not reallu unexpected.

Mourinho knows how to stifle opponents and Pep wasn't able to counteract the plan.

Very disappointing performance all-round and disturbing by the repetitive nature of events.
Just out of interest if Jose was manager for the Lyon game would we win or lose ?

Fair enough up to a point but we don’t always help ourselves. For example, we played full strength in the last CL game when already set fair to win the group (didn’t KDB play the whole game?). We drop or ignore energetic younger players too readily. We use substitutes far too sparingly. Looking ahead, we shouldn’t bust a bollock to retain the Micky Mouse Cup this season.

We also forget that there were no games for a couple of months. OK, not the same as pre-season prep but still a significant physical and psychological break in the otherwise relentless regime.

The number of internationals is just stupid. The authorities should have reduced them in the knowledge that the season would be compressed. Why didn’t clubs kick up more of a fuss? As it is, I expect more and more “injuries“ of the Bryan Riggs variety.
Very good point there, which is why I agree big part of this is also down to Guardiola. None of our fringe/young players stepped up, and reason is Pep just doesn't trust them. I think, in his head, if senior players don't perform then let them play more, even in easy games, until they get in some kind of rhythm. It's just not working.
The league will be very hard from here. Even if we find some kind of form, we just have so little energy for the long run to keep up the intensity of play

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.