Hiking thread

Took the kids uo to dovestones this morning, great little tootle round there, has anyone got any recommendations for any other localish walks with the kids?
They both eight, we've done rivington a few times and now dovestones, was thinking maybe mam tor? Or something along those lines.
As a side post, got to the car park at dovestones at 9.15 this morning and the warden was already out stalking the cars, he wouldnt let me put a ticket on a car he was just about to book as he said he'd already put it through, ffs mahrez for the sake of two quid someone was coming back feeling great from a decent walk to having their balloon well and truly burst

Anyone into weighted walking?

I’ve been doing quite a lot of it over the last year and finding the weights I use in my bag are too light now, and they take up too much room anyway so can’t pack anything else into my bag (been using compact medicine balls).

Does anyone have any recommendations for weights to use in my bag, and even a more hard wearing bag that will take some heavier weights (can’t see the straps on my Adidas rucksack taking too much weight)?

Anyone into weighted walking?

I’ve been doing quite a lot of it over the last year and finding the weights I use in my bag are too light now, and they take up too much room anyway so can’t pack anything else into my bag (been using compact medicine balls).

Does anyone have any recommendations for weights to use in my bag, and even a more hard wearing bag that will take some heavier weights (can’t see the straps on my Adidas rucksack taking too much weight)?

I use a 20kg weighted vest mate with space for an additional 20kg. Could always get a huge hiking backpack and load it with 20kg plates haha! Great exercise though. My legs have come on a lot since carrying around 30ish kilo for 15/20 miles.

I use a 20kg weighted vest mate with space for an additional 20kg. Could always get a huge hiking backpack and load it with 20kg plates haha! Great exercise though. My legs have come on a lot since carrying around 30ish kilo for 15/20 miles.

I carry about 50kg every walk!

My god. Thats why I keep off Snowdon from April to October. Love going up off season like now. Especialy if theres a bit of snow.

Well, go at the wrong time and you get snowed on. It's written on the tin!

Anybody on here done the Pembrokeshire coastal path? Two summers back I did a chunk of it (a small chunk, has to be said) from Milford Haven to Broad Haven via Dale and St Annes Head. I've got a thing about coastal paths. Having fields on one side of you, and the expanse of the sea on the other, for the whole way. Seagulls and terns wheeling above your head from time to time. I just love it. About three days walking at an easy pace. Virtually no serious gradients, and the path is well maintained. In short, an easy hike. I had glorious weather for two days, and got rained on for most of the third. No problem. I like my creature comforts when I'm hiking — the days of lugging heavy stuff on my back for the whole day are long gone — and stayed in B&Bs at night. There's a seriously good fish restaurant in Dale, as well, which is highly recommended. Does a good pint too. Not cheap (it's in the guides, and got Best Fish Restaurant in Wales or something of that sort the year I passed through).
Anybody done the whole Welsh coastal path? That would be a lot more than I could chew, I reckon.

I’ll look into those, nice one

(The vests, not your legs!)

Took the kids uo to dovestones this morning, great little tootle round there, has anyone got any recommendations for any other localish walks with the kids?
They both eight, we've done rivington a few times and now dovestones, was thinking maybe mam tor? Or something along those lines.
As a side post, got to the car park at dovestones at 9.15 this morning and the warden was already out stalking the cars, he wouldnt let me put a ticket on a car he was just about to book as he said he'd already put it through, ffs mahrez for the sake of two quid someone was coming back feeling great from a decent walk to having their balloon well and truly burst
Blackstone edge mate is a good one for little ones, just past Hollingworth lake, Mam Tor and all those in that area are great but you’ll need to get there early for parking as they get quite busy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.