The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters

Chelsea out?!​

Whoa everyone. Huge news. I mean, really huge news.
BBC Sport understands that Chelsea are preparing documentation to request withdrawing from the European Super League.

Well played Chelsea. They have an owner with a beatin heart and more importantly someone who can see how the land lies.

Follow their lead.
If they could see how the land lies they wouldn't have signed up in the first place.

Are people just taking this about them pulling out as gospel?

expect a statement from city soon if there working together
All we can hope for now. A gentleman's agreement between City and Chelsea that neither will bear the brunt of the backlash from the Supa Leeg solo, but will face the criticism together.

No doubt the European Super League would happen one day but why make it a closed competition? Thats the issue here.

A open competition for all, I could support, but closed to the same teams, year in, year our, you got to be having a laugh.

So many thoughts to share and increasing questions having digested this all a bit more, but on this question and the SL's "closed model":

Disclaimer: I am NOT advocating for the Super League (SL) model though but am more playing devil's advocate for the SL (not ESL as we should make clear as well) but:
  1. Being a "closed competition" is not perceived as anything resembling a big problem from fans used to these competitions. If this upsets you, the sad truth is such fans are likely not seen as part of a transition to a new market of consumers/fans and they also figure that many will still support their clubs anyway.

In other words, the believe is surely "you'll likely get used to it," People never like change to habits they value, more reason you will stay, and that despite that humans are also highly adaptable to change.

It isn't also just that most sport fans in the States don't have a problem with this model, but newer generations of young people around the world consume products (key phrasing) differently.

The SL owners see young people not following and being as loyal to sport/clubs as older generations once were whilst they are competing for revenues in a hyper competitive marketplace for entertainment/time in the age of the Internet, video games, apps and smart phones. Even American pro-sport leagues are worried about these changes, I believe.

The SL owners see themselves as losing revenue they believe they can/are entitled to earn after investing all they believe they see they have under the current model, even their business was not run so wisely. They were at the top and we know from the way almost ALL of these clubs came after City for FFP, etc. they want to stay there or get back to where they were.

2. The SL leaders surely know there will be a negative reaction from "legacy" or older, and more traditional football fans, but they're convincing themselves the outrage will pass, as this is part of the transition and feel they will survive and you will either submit or go and they will find new consumers.

This is arguably the most tragic aspect of large scale/neoliberal capitalism where humans matter less, but it works almost every time with those with more wealth and therefore power in our highly globalised world.

Look at real estate or business model shifts. Gentrification of a neighbourhood is a great example of this I think. The past residents are not who real estate developers are looking at. They target future residents who will eventually become the dominant group. They can wait you out almost always.

3. The "closed" model is pretty much an investment that is intended to be a GUARANTEED source of highly lucrative revenue FOR OWNERS of sports "franchises"/teams in the States and all SL owners, regardless of their nationality, know this, and want to get to this place versus a barely profitable or high debt run business.

UEFA and FIFA's control we know they feel is a major barrier to "their money" and why this is very much a major escalation of conflict between the owners and those governing bodies more than anything else to get control, save their businesses/get a better cash stream.

4. When we say "closed competition" I also think we have to break that down as I understand the SL want to add/invite more "expansion" clubs into the league as it is established, yet I get the real point is the model is not egalitarian, like traditional football leagues with local clubs.

Again, I think the SL leaders would argue UEFA and FIFA are their own "cartel" and I am hearing more and more that the bigger clubs - including City as we know via the CFG model and business practices designed to create a well run business - are more progressive with ideas, marketing/economics but UEFA and FIFA control everything.

UEFA get a portion of revenues yet THE RICH CLUBS FEEL THEY CANNOT CONTROL UEFA/FIFA ENOUGH (as they do in U.S. pro leagues where the governing bodies/chairperson/commissioner are voted in by owners) to get the kinds of revenues American sports clubs/owners enjoy.

5. This feels designed to replace UEFA CL and FIFA Club World Cup and make more out of it.

FIFA Club World Cup is not prestigious and lacks enough visibility for players' "brands.

The SL could argue their model creates a far better version that would add more club parity globally and bring in other continent's clubs' fans' interest to SL and therefore even bigger revenues.

Currently, the only chance North American and South American or any no EU clubs and many players get to play in a legit competition against the best players/clubs in the world is via International CL or with a natioanl side during the WC. It's that intrigue and the revenues it would generate that SL MUST be thinking including these global clubs could tap into.

6. So "expansion" clubs to come to facilitate more global revenues would include bigger clubs/leagues from other nations/continents - i.e. from South America & MLS.

7. They could argue this would transform and tap into MLS/South American clubs large followings, plausibly bring better talent from Europe to their clubs that they cannot gain before because - ironically - UEFA dominates and is closed to MLS and South American clubs, and is where the most money/talent is.

The NFL and NBA had hoped for this model with the global growth of their sports' popularity by adding teams in other continents/nations but it's never panned out.

SL could use the division/conference model based on region/location like other American pro leagues or keep the traditional 1 league model that includes big Brazilian, Argentinian or MLS sides all in a larger league where these clubs who never get to play the big European will once a year (like the NBA) and add more money to the league as you're adding even more revenues to share between owners.

8. The owners COULD argue that breaking away from UEFA/FIFA and the traditional model for leagues, adding more big international clubs to the SL that this could lead to more parity and spreading of top player talent across the world instead of all in Europe and would add MORE money as their fans would be excited to see this change.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.