The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Please hear me out.

I believe that most on here are doing our owners a grave disservice. Let’s examine the facts, and then draw some conclusions based on the available evidence.

A Super League has been mooted for quite some time. I can find proposals from June 2019 where it was mooted by European clubs. One of the drivers of the proposal at that time was Agnelli (who has now fallen from power) from Juventus. At that time, a Guardian article stated that he wanted to ‘close the financial gap between his club and the premier league clubs’.

So I think it’s safe to conclude that this new proposal built upon that initial shot across the bows.

The next critical piece of evidence is from Tolmie. He has more inside information than any of us on here. He has stated for quite sometime (well before these events) that Ceferin has been an ally of City. In March last year, Ceferin was interviewed on Sky and said City remained a ‘valuable asset‘ for UEFA. I trust Tolmie’s information on our relationship with him.

I also think it’s completely implausible that both Ceferin and our owners were caught off guard by this current proposal. As Tolmie said, our owners know more about politics (particularly of the Machiavellian kind) than any of us will ever know. They would have known well in advance that this was coming.

So who was going to benefit most from this proposal? Certainly our premier league rivals, most of whom are economic basket cases. Also the Spanish/Italian axis. It would have, in one fell swoop, saved them from ongoing financial misery. So was it in our interests for this to go ahead, thereby allowing these hopelessly run businesses to catch up with us? My conclusion would be a resounding no.

Let’s then look carefully at what transpired. City leaked information that they were reluctantly dragged into the agreement. Ceferin is interviewed and urges the Premier League clubs to change their minds. Then there are leaks that two English clubs are waivering. Then City responds to the fans concerns and withdraws from the proposal, and Ceferin issues a statement that he is ‘delighted’ and welcomes City ‘back into the European football family’.

Now look at the fallout. Woodward and Agnelli have gone. The American owners are completely disillusioned. Our European enemies are left clinging at a mirage. We remain on course to continue the development of our long term sustainable business model. The super league is dead in the water. Our enemies in the Premier League will continue to hate us, and remain financial basket cases.

If this was Survivor, we have outwitted, outplayed, and outlasted our European and Premier League enemies.

Obviously not, but I’m a glass half full kind of guy, shit happens and we deal with it. Life goes on.
Exactly but for a club that allegedly is a fans club and understands the local community , this is a serious error of judgment, why were we not consulted in any way? This would have been a monumental change in football and not one fan of any club had ANY input, shameful.

If you’re gonna pull off a magic trick you can’t tell the audience how you’re gonna do it ; )
That is a good way of putting it, but we have no way of knowing that it happened without further explanation. As far as I'm concerned, all this "we played a blinder" talk is like a woman who has just been assaulted by the man she loves saying that he did it as an act of love. This can of course be shown to be the situation but we can't just assume that's the case just because we like owners who stick a lot of money into the club. I think we deserve some answers here.

These are the facts:

1) City have never consulted with the fans about a proposed Super League.

2) All we had by way of information was a standard statement put on the club's website very late on a Sunday night.

3) There were no appearances or references made by anyone associated with the club.

4) The club did not put the statement on its Twitter feed. It is unclear why such big news would not appear on all communication mediums.

5) The owner of Manchester United was the person quoted on our club's website in the statement. The reason(s) why nobody from the club commented are unclear.

6) The club resigned from the European Club Association (ECA) along with the 11 other clubs. The reasons for this are unknown.

7) The club had no representation at the ECA's meeting on Monday along with the 11 other clubs.

8) The club were the first to withdraw from the Super League. The reason(s) for this are unknown. It is most likely that the club did not like the backlash but this is still unknown.

Anything else is mere speculation.

So on the basis of the above, I am not inclined to view the club favourably in the absence of any explanation. I am happy to listen to the club but think it's important to hold its custodians to account, whoever they may be. Whether it's Peter Swales or Sheikh Mansour who is the custodian is irrelevant - they should ALWAYS be answerable to the fans and never be given free reign to drag our name through the mud.

Bollocks, we have right royally F%%ed Up and if that's the case, what about the RAGS? The Glaziers are done, they will have new owners in a few months, it could just be what the rag fans have wanted, so it could also be good for them, the same applies to the scousers.
If you say so. The effect is as I described though.

To be fair, they both say absolutely nothing but the same time everything, contempt.

That is true and I have no faith in Arsenals statement but at least their trying to appease fans. We have almost destroyed the fabric of the game and the only statements have been quoting Joel Glazer and notification from the club were not joining. The arrogance and contempt for the fans is staggering.

Last edited:
And you regrettably seem to no longer remember what it was to be outside the elite. We all have our crosses to bear I guess.

Hang on. You asked how it could be classed as a PR win and I provided proof and now your shifting goalposts? Quit while your behind.

And you know fuck all about what I do or don’t remember so quit the fucking sarky comments. You’re a fucking guest.

What, so do you not like our owners? You might have beef with Soriano but do you no longer like Sheikh Mansour and think he’s not a decent custodian of our club?
Our owner has done incredible things for this club, made dreams come true but my word, as someone has just said, this was a decision PJ Swales would have taken not something a man the calibre of Khaldoon Al Mubarack would have done,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.