The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Next up will be the dippers and rags asking for punishment
Not anything to do with them both being miles off winning the league!!

Why do all the headlines put Chelsea first, surely that is not correct. The media can not help themselves can they?
Chelsea PR team played a blinder with that. They were actually the last to leave of the English clubs.

There’s nothing good whatsoever coming out of this. The reputations of all 6 English clubs are in the gutter, that’s with our own fans feelings towards City n’all.

The club statements both saying we’ve joined and saying we’d pulled out, added to the silence in between, and the actions of it all as a whole, were an utter disgrace!

Maybe we will never know the truth behind this whole episode but my humble opinion is that this was not the disgraceful play that many City fans think

We all want City to attract the best talent and play the best football but not at the expense of football as we know it. The owners have invested a spectacular amount of money into the club yes but on Sunday decided - however reluctantly - that the league in which City have enjoyed so many highs and lows wasn’t for them anymore. It would have completely fucked over the rest of the game and would have deprived those of us who follow City home and away of the thing we love.

And the thing is they might try and do the same thing again in a few years. They could join another breakaway league, bin off domestic football, start playing home games in Abu Dhabi - who knows?! The only way that doesn’t happen is with continued pressure from fans like you say this week.

Which is why people aren’t willing to just let this go. The club need to prove that this was a massiv error of judgement that won’t be repeated. They can do that through offering an apology, making sure there’s a reckoning for those who pushed this dreadful idea, and ensuring that fans have more of a say in decisions like the one we thankfully u-turned on yesterday.
I'm not sure where this notion that the ESL was replacing the PL has come from but it wasn't that at all - it was replacing the CL
It was an extra comp / league that was potentially going to give our rivals a huge boost - I can 100% see why City (relunctantly) said yes to it.

I can see i've opened a can of worms here and maybe I came across a bit strong - 1st thing in the morning isn't my best time of day lol.

I still stand by what I said though - football is a business, you need lots of money to be the best and our owners want that for the club...

Was it an error of judgement - yes and no... maybe I'm a glass half full type of guy but I really believe that our board did this without malice or the intent to "screw the fans over" like some are suggesting. From a business point of view it was a no brainer - from a fans point of view though... well I think we all (me included) thought the ESL was extremely bad for football.

The owners of the other 5 English clubs (with the exception of possibly Chelsea) no doubt saw a way of making themselves richer though and thankfully our owners don't leech every last penny that they can get out of our club

I’m no happy clapper and the thought of a closed shop super league disgusts me.

But regards the club’s actions I’d like offer my option/play devils advocate based on what I’ve read in the last few days.

Based on what we’re lead to believe. City didn’t know about this until Thursday, we have been told by powers at Chelsea that they were sold a lie, so let’s assume we were sold the same lie.

We didn’t sign up until the last available second. There was breaking news at 5pm Sunday that FIVE clubs had signed up to the ESL. Let’s assume we weren’t in that 5.

So, at the very last minute we made a rush judgement and joined up. We signed up to a league that didn’t effect the premier league participation. Or so City were told.

The club were faced with a decision, do we side with the Super League? Why not? The clubs we were supposed to show solidarity with, the Everton’s, Leicester’s etc, They couldn’t wait to shaft us. The club will know our fan base was not happy with the hateful 8/9.

The club were also faced with the more prominent issue, do we side with UEFA or have a foot in the door for 23 years in the new breakaway competition. The club know we as a fan base despise UEFA and UEFA have continually tried to shaft us. So, it’s more than plausible to me, that the club thought a good portion of us would be quite happy to give a big fuck you to those who have continually tried to halt our progression by any means.

Then there’s the proposals from UEFA about their revised CL. We all knew they were planning to bend over for certain history clubs, which they have done.
Why would our owners think we as a fan base would be arsed if we gave UEFA a big fuck you?

Then as a club after making a rushed judgement late Sunday evening based on what we told and what we knew, less than 48 hours later after seeing what fans & football thought, we were preparing our exit. There were several credible leaks that we were wanting out less than 24 hours after joining.

The club made a mistake, but acted rapidly to correct that. But as a fan base, we have done nothing but show utter distain for UEFA and quite often the PL. For me, it’s not hard to see how or why the club got this wrong. And whilst I’m not happy at all that we signed up, it does please me that the club observed and reacted correctly in pretty quick time.
An excellent and well thought out article.
Pity some fans can`t get the gist of this.
Our Owner and his staff would have taken the view "damned if we do, damned if we don`t".

Relieved that is all over.

We joined out of fear and probably seen it as a chance to level the score with the cartel. This was never our fight.

Bloody nose and hopefully we can now build bridges within Uefa. City are not the enemy of football, it’s the greedy yanks who leverage clubs.

Whether this was a ploy or a mistake by the club we will never know. In the end we got what we wanted and it also give the owners a reminder that it is ‘OUR’ Club and always will be.

Now let's show UEFA that they don't need to give clubs any privileges based on past history.

And no nonsense from supporters of other clubs who would readily have sold out to billionaire owners, or wanted us kicked out of the CL.

John Barnes talking a lot of sense in his interview on BBC1 now. I hope someone can link to it (or find it later on Iplayer (starts about 8.28 am).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.