Message from a Sunderland fan

We got on the wrong tube to Wembley when we played Sunderland in the final, full of Sunderland fans.
We thought we'd get our heads stoved in but they were safe, good fans.
We had a good skinful after the game with a couple of Sunderland fans, really good laugh and no hostility either way. Great day out that was and credit to the Mackems

A fair few of our lot have mentioned the Maine Rd relegation game along with the League Cup final so I’ll go with a different game.
I was living in Sheffield at the time and travelled over to Maine Rd for the City v Sunderland Ian Brightwell testimonial in 98 - a 0-0 thriller!
After the game, I asked a few City lads where was the best place for a pint. They suggested I went with them to some social club so I jumped in a car with some total strangers and what must have been near 10 pints later I was smashed!
They took me back to the train station but unfortunately I dozed off, slept past Sheffield and ended up in Hull!
That, plus the relegation plus the cup final combine to make a very positive set of memories with city fans.
All the best in the 2nd leg. FTM.

Like many have said, Sunderland are a top club with cracking support. Had a few beers with their supporters the night before the league Cup final and all of them were in great spirit, not an ounce of animosity towards us that I've felt from other clubs support when at finals (Utd and Liverpool obviously but Villa in particular spring to mind).

Miss having a few beers and a bite to eat pre match in Fitzgeralds and hope you get back in the Premier League ASAP.

Had a lot of respect for Sunderland fans since their relegation at Maine Rd in 91.
Remember being en route to Maine Rd for game v Sunderland 97 or 98. On way to tram in Crumpsall and a car with 4 mackems stopped and asked for directions to Maine Rd...told em i was going to game so they gave me a lift, stopped for a couple of pints on the way which they insisted on buying...who was i to argue, there were 4 of em. Hope new owner works out, fans have had some rough times and hopefully better times are coming.

Have spent quite a bit of time up there. Newcastle and Sunderland both ok to an outsider but boy do they hate each other. Major operation bussing the Sunderland fans into Newcastle and vice versa.Sunderland much poorer place with generally decent people who really know their football. Would probably say they are the city of the north east and always respected city when we were in the doldrums. Newcastle also fine on the whole to an outsider,know some great ones but can be slightly smug and do have an element of gobby no nothings generally aimed at Sunderland. in that way bit more like United. They're miles better than United though and on the whole quite like them
Not quite true, both areas are equally deprived, but there are more shitholes in North Tyneside/ Gateshead then there are in Sunderland,

however Newcastle is a great city centre, which is what you see when you go to Sid James, whereas Sunderland city centre is not much better than Oldham, so for the visiting fan it is easy to think that Newcastle fans are more affluent, which isn’t the case at all, their ground is just in a much nicer location.

Having worked out of wythenshawe and West gorton for different companies, the NE is an idyllic backwater in comparison

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.