Harry Kane

We were fortunate to have Aguero as our main striker for so many years. Unbelievable player. Really miss him and Kane, although a class player himself, won’t fill the void he left I don’t think.
We wont get a young Aguero back so no point dwelling on something that we cant have.

Onwards and upwards, looking forward to Kane in our shirt. Hopefully, he smashes the PL record.

The bold is the key.

There is alot of talk that bring in Kane (a real striker) and we will see a better Sterling. But I'm not really buying it, I think all you really need is a system tweak.

I could understand if we played a 433, but in reality we play more of a 442 with one of our 10s playing next to the striker.

So if we continue to do this, then I don't think people will see the change they expect.

Compared to watching Liv vs Norwich, and confirming what we all know, Liverpool press in a very obvious 433, with those lines being very clear, the wingers CAN be kind of striker-like (Salah and Mane). I honestly don't think you need a "real" striker to let your winger perform like this (as Firmino is a false 9), Pep just has to tweak the system at all.

In our clear 442, there is already 2 players occupying the central attacking spaces. Now "sometimes" the attacking midfielder (Grealish) and the winger (Sterling) swap places and we see Sterling next to the striker, but this happens more on a rotational/situational basis rather than by default like at Liverpool.
Yeah. I think you've covered a lot of it really well.

I guess the fun part is waiting to see what those tweaks are. Because you can't predict Pep Guardiola.

It's not often spoken about but A LOT of our play from 17-20 was about creating space for De Bruyne, and then letting De Bruyne do his thing. After the 3 subs were made we actually looked like a City team from that period, which is hopefully a sign.

Btw, I'm really excited for Grealish. I knew he good he was at passing and hogging the ball but I've massively underestimating his dribbling. Big time. It might take a few months for it to click but I think having him, De Bruyne, and Kane all together is going to be a treat.

One of the problems is more often than not, no one’s busting a gut to get into the attacking spaces.
We don't play through our striker anyways, we play through our wingers, so if they are off then it's all off.

The team just played all of last season in that way. Even when Aguero played (a real striker) we didn't do it. The reason it works with Jesus is because he understands and knows to drop deep and has great hold up play to faciliate the system, this is why I really rate Jesus.

Also, while in theory I get why Pep played Grealish as the 10 next to Ferran, Grealish isn't a goal scorer, most of his plaudits at Villa were about his ability to create.

In that sense, it would have been smarter (IMO) if Pep played Grealish LW, and played Sterling as a striker next to Ferran and just committed to 442 if that's what he wants to do. The wingers are then both creators, and the strikers are both players who want to get behind and score.

I know Ferran got alot of flack from this game, but he did make alot of runs. He has some work to do and missed on Cancelo's cross, but he didn't get much service tbh.

We don't play through our striker anyways, we play through our wingers, so if they are off then it's all off.

The team just played all of last season in that way. Even when Aguero played (a real striker) we didn't do it. The reason it works with Jesus is because he understands and knows to drop deep and has great hold up play to faciliate the system, this is why I really rate Jesus.

Also, while in theory I get why Pep played Grealish as the 10 next to Ferran, Grealish isn't a goal scorer, most of his plaudits at Villa were about his ability to create.

In that sense, it would have been smarter (IMO) if Pep played Grealish LW, and played Sterling as a striker next to Ferran and just committed to 442 if that's what he wants to do. The wingers are then both creators, and the strikers are both players who want to get behind and score.

I know Ferran got alot of flack from this game, but he did make alot of runs. He has some work to do and missed on Cancelo's cross, but he didn't get much service tbh.
I’d find it hard to disagree with any of that

Torres as a striker is very old school to me. Lots of movement in and around the box, often on the shoulder, very good finishing. Is Vardy a weird comparison? I think striker Torres is not quite the right fit as of now, but if we lean to his strengths it could work, definitely. Although I would like to see him finally get a decent run of games on the wing, hopefully Kane can help there.

I wonder how Torres and Jesus would pair up as a front two over a season, in a purely hypothetical way.

Torres as a striker is very old school to me. Lots of movement in and around the box, often on the shoulder, very good finishing. Is Vardy a weird comparison? I think striker Torres is not quite the right fit as of now, but if we lean to his strengths it could work, definitely. Although I would like to see him finally get a decent run of games on the wing, hopefully Kane can help there.

I wonder how Torres and Jesus would pair up as a front two over a season, in a purely hypothetical way.
It’s getting the mix right and that’s above my pay grade, I always think he looks more dangerous coming in from the left, but that’s not a position we’re short on.

I know on this forum there is kind of a split on Torres whether its striker or winger for him.

I am not so all-seeing that I can definitively answer this question, but simply back the striker horse in that I think he can be more built or molded into an Aguero/Jesus like striker. My issue with him on the wings is that rightly or wrongly, I don't rate his pace and dribbling combo (you can be non-elite in one of them like Mahrez is in pace, but I think Ferran isn't elite in either).

I like your Ferran and Jesus up top combo as well. Pep usually pairs a midfielder with the striker (Grealish, Kdb, Gundogan) though.

All of this is obviously if Pep continues with 442, and would be thrown out the window if Pep changes it up.

It’s getting the mix right and that’s above my pay grade, I always think he looks more dangerous coming in from the left, but that’s not a position we’re short on.
I think if we played a Classic 433 (like Liv), then I like Ferran on LW as you have described.

Actually or even RW, because in that system the wingers are like hybrid strikers if that makes sense, they score LOADS because they have to.

I’ve had enough of my club being held to ransom for a player who or may not improve us. A player who has scored the total of two goals against us in god knows how many games. A player whom Spurs didn’t need today to beat us fair and square. We have more pressing problems in midfield instead of playing Fernandinho, who was very poor today, than paying over the odds for a striker who is not, in my opinion, one of the best around. I do not want City to be taken for a ride, but that is exactly what I’ve been watching for months on end, even though we should have sorted this problem out at the start of last season when it was decided that Agüero was out.
Does that answer your Q?
Apply for Txiki’s job. Sounds like you’re the guy to take us to the next level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.