Jim Beglin commenting "Emptyhad" on Live TV | City lodge complaint (pg 38)

This is different to a journalist saying something like this. The broadcasters presumably sign a contract when bidding for the rights to show the Premier League that involves, amongst other things, using the correct name of the stadium and club. And the obvious reason is that companies have paid huge amounts of money to have their name on the stadium. Imagine the outrage if a commentator accidently called Liverpool "the dippers."

Whether Jim Beglin said it on purpose or it was a slip of the tongue, it's equally damning. If he said it on purpose, it's completely unprofessional. If he said it by accident, it's clear evidence that he calls it that in his free time, because no-one would accidently say something that they don't say in real life. It's like those people who claim to have accidently said something racist. Yeah, I'm sure you did, but you only accidently use racist language in a situation if you regularly use it deliberately.
Trevor Sinclair openly called Liverpool “ dippers ” on talkshite and was vilified for it to the extent where he made a grovelling apology

During a cl game when we got banned , whats his name ex arses guy said we can call them sportswashing now cant we
Keown said ‘financial doping’ on air, not ‘sport washing’ fwiw - and it was delivered as a shit joke, rather than a sly dig, although tbf it could have been both.

I hope he does lose his job, I just cant believe that a professional commentator would accidentally say that.
I can see why City were pissed off by it. His prominence as a broadcaster making such jokes puts the club in a poor light, City are slowly building a very successful brand, they are trying to do it very professionally.
Beglin played right into the hands of our detractors, every other fan will now use the term Emptyhad, cheapening our brand and making the brand the butt of jokes and piss taking.
You only have to look at the twitter extract on here that was being put out as the match was being played. Loads of fans of the Lesser Redshirted Teams having a right old laugh as they were watching hoping for us to lose. They were a fraction of the others who joined in to take the piss once they heard about it. Yesterday just walking the dog l bumped into a rag woman and a male dipper both of whom mentioned it but as plastics who have never been to a match they were were easy meat. Point is they both knew about this small thing without even being big football fans.
Then on here if you mention it, you get smart arsed pipsqeak blues who start going on its not important. It is when it's relentless, every day people having a go at us. So called professionals who just act like gobby fans off the Kop or Stretford End. Talkshite presenters referring to City fans ringing in as bitter blues, l wonder where they got that expression from?
It's all very well being treated as a laughing stock when you've got a Peter Swales in charge but not as part of a campaign against the best team in the land.

Last edited:
Sinclair was using slang name for LFC. Whereas Beglin was using a slang word for City by changing the name of our club sponsor.
I think the principal difference is that Beglin is employed by an organisation with whom City have a contractual relationship that is associated with his professional duties, which gives the club grounds for a complaint that has teeth. I expect what he said will breach some term or warranty in the contract between BT and the PL (and thereby City) especially as it involved (and denigrated) our main sponsor, which I expect is crucial contractually, because I reckon that contract will be framed to protect the commercial interests of each club’s sponsors.

In fact I’d be amazed if it wasn’t a standard term in contracts between clubs and their sponsors that the latter’s commercial interests are protected in any agreement each respective club has with any broadcaster that it has a contractual relationship with. They are handing huge sums over and want to ensure that money enhances, not damages their brand’s reputation.

That will explain the speed and unequivocal nature of the apology and subsequent Tweet. He will have been told to apologise in those terms tout suite, because what he said breached the contract between BT and the PL - and doubtless Beglin’s with BT.

Last edited:
I think the principal difference is that Beglin is employed by an organisation with whom City have a contractual relationship that is associated with his professional duties, which gives the club grounds for a complaint that has teeth. I expect what he said will breach some term or warranty in the contract between BT and the PL (and thereby City) especially as it involved (and denigrated) our main sponsor, which I expect is crucial contractually, because I reckon that contract will be framed to protect the commercial interests of each club’s sponsors.

In fact I’d be amazed if it wasn’t a standard term in contracts between clubs and their sponsors that the latter’s commercial interests are protected in any agreement each respective club has with any broadcaster that it has a contractual relationship with. They are handing huge sums over and want to ensure that money enhances, not damages their brand’s reputation.

That will explain the speed and unequivocal nature of the apology and subsequent Tweet. He will have been told to apologise in those terms tout suite, because what he said breached the contract between BT and the PL - and doubtless Beglin’s with BT.
Beglin is not employed by BT Sports. He's employed by Premier League Productions who broadcast the game for international audiences. So a lot more people heard it as it wasn't on BT Sports

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.