Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many muppets are there in the media nowadays? If you answered anything other than "all of them" then go bang your head against a wall. Pundits after the match and those on MotD tonight all spouting on about the non-penalty today being not given because it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref as VAR couldn't decide if the infingement was in or out of the box. Wrong! It was right there on the screen why it wasn't given: The foul commited by Romeu was outside the area. Can these people not read or are they trying to cause controversy with another VAR close call? It does my head in.

If anyone wants to listen to an informed discussion from a City perspective about the current media coverage of our club, I'd urge you to listen to the latest Friday Show of the 93:20 podcast. It's freely available now on all usual platforms so you don't have to be a 93:20 subscriber to access it.

In the episode, @Lucky Toma (who's a freelance football writer), @BillyShears (who has a background in the music and entertainment industries) and Ally Fogg (a political journalist and writer) talk through what they quite rightly call the "bullshit" in the narratives surrounding the club that are pushed by the UK sports media. They expand on the reasons for this. Of course, many of us know all about these already but which it's instructive to hear outlined rationally by people with relevant experience.

Thus, we listen to matters such as the preponderance of support for United and Liverpool among the journalists concerned, who take the opportunity to vent their disappointment at the current state of affairs in modern football by damaging City's reputation. And there's confirmation of the relentless chase for clicks in modern journalism that causes outlets to pursue the anti-City angle so popular among rival fans.

One thing that grates with me about many of these journalists is the air they assume of being cleverer than other football fans. I broadly agree with the guys' conclusion that some of our media enemies enjoy winding up City fans and the best course is not to engage them. There's a lovely and entertaining little extract where Ahsan says he's not interested in these people because they're intellectually inferior, and this absolutely struck a chord with me: there are several Blues in my close circle who are far, far smarter than any of these tedious, self-absorbed twats.

Now, to some degree I can forgive journalists for doing what they need to in order to make a living. In other words, I'm prepared to call them out here for lies, half-truths and inaccuracies, as well as for misleading statements and omissions, but I won't judge them for it. After all, in my professional life I do work for Russian state-owned companies and people might have views about that (I couldn't give a fuck, by the way, but I can't stop readers from thinking what they like about).

But I don't moralise to any critics or get on my high horse. What grates with me is when those such as the 'WhatsApp Group' try to gaslight City fans, and this is the only thing that wasn't mentioned in the podcast but that IMO is worth mentioning. It's a fairly common thing, too. I noticed an example earlier this week, when the freelance journalist John Brewin posted the following on Twitter:

Now, I'm aware of Brewin's output but literally never recall reading anything of his that I found entertaining or informative, but he seems to think he can lecture us. Note the language. It begins with him casting himself as a detached observer, above the fray and laughing at others. Then he depicts those others as rabid partisans, whose inherent bias prevents them from properly understanding the position - by implication, in contrast to him.

Yet no one with an IQ over 50 could sensibly and genuinely believe his thrust that a bit of mild piss-taking after a couple of heavy United defeats is equivalent to the coordinated and fevered press coverage that City now receive. He goes on in the thread both to portray himself as a victim, being attacked in very mild responses because he doesn't admire City, and, for good measure, to show himself broadly ignorant of the sources of United's (i.e. his own club's) financing in the early '90s.

I'll no doubt give Brewin barely any thought in the days, weeks and months to come, just as I ignored him before. To the extent that he impinges on my consciousness in a brief flash (e.g. if I have the misfortune to see him RT'd on my Twitter feed), it will be simply to recall him momentarily as a dullard and a ****. But I thought it worth highlighting him here as a textbook purveyor of the bad-faith, gaslighting bullshit our detractors habitually resort to.

Brewin definitely has form for poking Blues in the past
And working for the Guardian means your a journalist for hire, not independent

How many muppets are there in the media nowadays? If you answered anything other than "all of them" then go bang your head against a wall. Pundits after the match and those on MotD tonight all spouting on about the non-penalty today being not given because it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref as VAR couldn't decide if the infingement was in or out of the box. Wrong! It was right there on the screen why it wasn't given: The foul commited by Romeu was outside the area. Can these people not read or are they trying to cause controversy with another VAR close call? It does my head in.
Just seen MOTD on the Iplayer, and I'm wondering if they will be a shit storm over these VAR decisions like there was after the Arsenal game ?
To be fair most ex-pro's call them the right decisions , It was mainly the City hating media call VAR a disgrace after the Arsenal match because the VAR decisions went City's way , and it being corrupt .
Personally I thinking it was more corrupt yesterday, with the Premier League, Sky , and other media outlets not wanting the league over in January (which it's not , still a long way to go) !

I think our Pep is a fantastic poker player.

Just watched the post match sky interview and he makes the jounolist look amateur. The slimy **** trying to find a belittling bangle and he seats him away like an annoying insect.
"By Far". So funny.

Reactions: mat
Just watched MOTD
Speechless Danny Murphy etc saying the VAR decisions were both correct
The Pen ...gotta say yes a pen but could seen these not given 99% given though...but the red card unfuckingbelieveable yes one word .
Quite frankly shocking punditry and embarrassing
Always think with City we're like that Sesame Street song.....One of these teams is not like the others, one of these teams just doesn't belong.

Different punditry, different rules etc

This what happens in the media when we get decisions like that a pen denied a red card denied! The whole of the media back up the referee and Var! But when we get a decision through var the media go on and on about it being wrong!

Oh and that 20 second check supposed onside decision will be brushed under the carpet not a word.

I think our Pep is a fantastic poker player.

Just watched the post match sky interview and he makes the jounolist look amateur. The slimy **** trying to find a belittling bangle and he seats him away like an annoying insect.
I just love it when Pep makes them sit on the naughty chair wearing the bangle of shame.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.