Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

Fatigue is definitely an issue. And Leeds will likely be another high energy game. That's why keeping the ball better is vital. We can reserve energy a bit more then.

Hopefully we can get the game won before what would be a ten minute onslaught otherwise. The issue we have, that the dippers don't (as well as an easier CL draw) is that I can't see Pep wanting to throw on several subs against Real unless we are out of sight.

That means the likes of Gundogan, Raheem, Grealish need to be firing at their very best against Leeds if they are to come in. Because Bernardo and KDB could do with a rest, even if that's just playing 60 mins instead of 90. Real can play the kids this weekend.
Agreed 100%. However, it's what we signed up for & things cudda been so much different if Harry Kane had sent in a transfer request to Levi.

Think of all the sitters we've missed this season, & the Benzema type opportunities where we could have made something out of an unlikely half chance? These chances can turn zero points into one & one into all three. It's at the business end of the season where these small increments all add up & really tell.

When we were 15 points ahead, we were in essence 7 points ahead IIRC if the Dippers won all their games in hand. Imagine having those extra 6 points now? )(

Right now Aké, Zin, Sterling, Gundog, Fern & Grealish etc need to step up & play their part against Leeds. We need em now more than ever. Like you say we've got 4 days to recover between Leeds & Real, but I'd still rather not risk injuries,& endeavour to give as many players a week off as possible.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. However, it's what we signed up for & things cudda been so much different if Harry Kane had sent in a transfer request to Levi.

Think of all the sitters we've missed this season, & the Benzema type opportunities where we could have made something out of an unlikely half chance? These chances can turn zero points into one & one into all three. It's at the business end of the season where these small increments all add up & really tell.

When we were 15 points ahead, we were in essence 7 points ahead IIRC if the Dippers won all their games in hand. Imagine having those extra 6 points now? )(

Right now Aké, Zin, Sterling, Gundog, Fern & Grealish etc need to step up & play their part against Leeds. We need em now more than ever. Like you say we've got 4 days to recover between Leeds & Real, but I'd still rather not risk injuries,& endeavour to give as many players a week off as possible.

Yep, this is where Liverpool's squad is looking strong. Origi comes on and makes a difference against Everton. Jota can come in and do a job. They can use Keita in the midfield to rotate Thiago/Henderson if required. And they seem to switch between Matic and Konate for league/CL games. They're still probably too reliant on a certain few, but then so are we. At the moment I wouldn't be confident of us winning a game without De Bruyne and Bernardo in the side but you'd hope everyone would be at their peak now. This is the stage of the season where Pep likes to have us at our best. He rotates all season. Our players have played far less than Liverpool's still. And every single player will want to make that CL final and be starting in Paris if we do get there, so you'd hope they all play for their place. With Pep you know he would be happy to change the team based on form!

Yep, this is where Liverpool's squad is looking strong. Origi comes on and makes a difference against Everton. Jota can come in and do a job. They can use Keita in the midfield to rotate Thiago/Henderson if required. And they seem to switch between Matic and Konate for league/CL games. They're still probably too reliant on a certain few, but then so are we. At the moment I wouldn't be confident of us winning a game without De Bruyne and Bernardo in the side but you'd hope everyone would be at their peak now. This is the stage of the season where Pep likes to have us at our best. He rotates all season. Our players have played far less than Liverpool's still. And every single player will want to make that CL final and be starting in Paris if we do get there, so you'd hope they all play for their place. With Pep you know he would be happy to change the team based on form!
Yes Pep included Gabby based on Saturday's 4 goal haul & he got another on Tuesday to repay that faith. It now makes me think about all the times we had a comfortable lead, where players could have been subbed & academy players brought on.

Many have surmised that Pep prioritises momentum above rotation, when I think the best plan of action lies somewhere in between. I've got my opinions on it, but it's Pep who's paid million a year to make these calls & he'll have better recovery & performance data to base his decisions on than I will.

It'll be interesting to see our line-up against Leeds. There's an argument between prioritising the game in front of us, or making the glamour tie the priority. Being neck & neck in the league & in the CL tie means we've got little or no wriggle room.

Vini had 4 choices. A sharp cut back to Benzema. A less acute cut back to the on rushing right winger. Cross the ball in between Laporte & Ederson to the on rushing right winger. Or take another touch & shoot.

There were pluses & minuses with all 4. Vinicius chose the latter & scored a quite simply brilliant world class goal mate. Sometimes we've just gotta sit back & admire the absolute quality of the move.

To be honest I'm glad it took a meg, controlled run & a clinical finish like that to undo us, rather than it being a tap in. )(

View attachment 41651

And if Eric had done his job some of those choices wouldn't have been open to him especially the crucial one that resulted in a goal. Anyhow its becoming a circular argument. He messed up but some don't want to admit it and that's fine. We have one or two games left in this comp if we defend like we have previously in the champions league we will not win it.

Fingers crossed.

Vini had 4 choices. A sharp cut back to Benzema. A less acute cut back to the on rushing right winger. Cross the ball in between Laporte & Ederson to the on rushing right winger. Or take another touch & shoot.

There were pluses & minuses with all 4. Vinicius chose the latter & scored a quite simply brilliant world class goal mate. Sometimes we've just gotta sit back & admire the absolute quality of the move.

To be honest I'm glad it took a meg, controlled run & a clinical finish like that to undo us, rather than it being a tap in. )(

View attachment 41651
First of all I though Fernandinho was to eager and lost sight of the ball. Once on a run very few can catch up with Vinicius.
There was no direct back up from Dias and Pep must’ve told the team to try and avoid Fernandinho getting in a 1on 1

Anyways, while Vinicius was on the run was waiting for Ederson to come out and/or Laporte cutting inside. Neither Dias nor Rodri were gonna catch up. Both Ederson and Laporte didn’t do what imho they should’ve done. On a sidenote Laporte did cut inside vs Watford but too soft for us to concede from the very same angel.

But conceding a goal most of the time it’s about making mistakes. We made 4 by 4 different players. And Vinicius took full advantage to score a great individual goal in the end.

And if Eric had done his job some of those choices wouldn't have been open to him especially the crucial one that resulted in a goal. Anyhow its becoming a circular argument. He messed up but some don't want to admit it and that's fine. We have one or two games left in this comp if we defend like we have previously in the champions league we will not win it.

Fingers crossed.
Again it's about opinions. Crucially Laporte looked over his shoulder to see the Real winger bearing down on Zin & was also aware of Benzema behind him.

It's all ifs, buts & maybe's. In my humble opinion Laporte could have engaged & left a 2v1, or he could have held his position with a myriad of outcomes. There's no certain way of predicting what would have happened regardless of what he did, which is why I'm happy to settle for it purely being a brilliant world class goal, which graced a genuinely world class encounter between two of the best teams on the planet.

All will be resolved soon enough, so Laporte's decision is already a moot point, as we go into a boiling hot cauldron in Madrid a goal up with his decision not being a decisive factor. )(

I've watched the game back and I reiterate that City are the better team and should go through to the final.

A few things I noticed at second viewing in terms of individual performances was Mahrez is not combative enough, he loses most of his 50/50 duels and is physically weak on the ball, going down easily at the Bernabeu will not win us many fouls, he needs to up his intensity.

Foden lost too many balls, poor ball retention at times in City's half meant Real went straight on the counter. He lost the ball in a high pressure phase against Camavinga attempting to flick the ball over the Real Midfielders' head and then consequently gave away the free kick that led to the 3rd Madrid goal. He needs to be more composed because he will dominate Carvahal with better decision making.

Dias apart from a few poor headers and being to high up the field for Vinicius's goal had a good performance. Dias is a better defender alongside Stones, the two of them have handled Haaland, Mbappe, Neymar and Messi with relative ease in UCL games Laporte however looked flustered against Benzema.

And onto Laporte who I feel along with Ederson are major weaknesses in this team and both will be targeted at the Bernabeu. Fernandinho made the crucial error but as a defender you always have to deal with the nearest threat. He had two choices, either close down Vinicius and narrow his shooting angle (and also his passing angle back to Benzema) or, give Vinicius a clear shot on goal, he obviously chose the easier decision, time and time again he shirks his defensive responsibilities, he doesnt like to suffer doing the hard defensive things it's a recurring theme with Laporte. Remember 2 seasons ago against Brighton instead of defending diligently he chose to take out Webster and ended up with a serious meniscus injury. UCL Quarters vs Lyon he intentionally ran across Dembele to initiate contact and win a free kick instead of just defending the attacker, the less said about his performance in the Spurs UCL match the better. And I suspect, having watched the replays closely he intentionally left his arm in a prone posistion because he knew Real attackers were on the other side of him, he was relying on the head to hand non penalty rule, when jumping for a header you jump with your elbows slightly flared but close to the body (watch Benzemas' jump) you don't jump with your hands fully extended out, it was a clear Pen, he should have got a good header in first time round.

Ederson as a lot of us have known for some time is a poor shot stopper, teams are now aware of this, the shot doesn't even have to be in the corner, he has cost us in big games, look at the Jota goal recently, the thought of Benzema getting even a 1/4 chance at goal could result in a goal against Ederson.

Honourable mentions to Zinchenko, Bernardo, Rodri and KdB for outstanding performances.

Let's hope we don't conceded early, We were 2 up after 11 minutes, if they do that at the Bernabeu it could be a long night

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.