Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

They'll also feel they can score more goals.
If they are being realistic they will realise they were lucky to get/we gifted them the goals they got and that 5-2 would probably have been a fair reflection of the game.
I'll be nervous as heck but I do think we will beat them handily at their place.

I've watched the game back and I reiterate that City are the better team and should go through to the final.

A few things I noticed at second viewing in terms of individual performances was Mahrez is not combative enough, he loses most of his 50/50 duels and is physically weak on the ball, going down easily at the Bernabeu will not win us many fouls, he needs to up his intensity.

Foden lost too many balls, poor ball retention at times in City's half meant Real went straight on the counter. He lost the ball in a high pressure phase against Camavinga attempting to flick the ball over the Real Midfielders' head and then consequently gave away the free kick that led to the 3rd Madrid goal. He needs to be more composed because he will dominate Carvahal with better decision making.

Dias apart from a few poor headers and being to high up the field for Vinicius's goal had a good performance. Dias is a better defender alongside Stones, the two of them have handled Haaland, Mbappe, Neymar and Messi with relative ease in UCL games Laporte however looked flustered against Benzema.

And onto Laporte who I feel along with Ederson are major weaknesses in this team and both will be targeted at the Bernabeu. Fernandinho made the crucial error but as a defender you always have to deal with the nearest threat. He had two choices, either close down Vinicius and narrow his shooting angle (and also his passing angle back to Benzema) or, give Vinicius a clear shot on goal, he obviously chose the easier decision, time and time again he shirks his defensive responsibilities, he doesnt like to suffer doing the hard defensive things it's a recurring theme with Laporte. Remember 2 seasons ago against Brighton instead of defending diligently he chose to take out Webster and ended up with a serious meniscus injury. UCL Quarters vs Lyon he intentionally ran across Dembele to initiate contact and win a free kick instead of just defending the attacker, the less said about his performance in the Spurs UCL match the better. And I suspect, having watched the replays closely he intentionally left his arm in a prone posistion because he knew Real attackers were on the other side of him, he was relying on the head to hand non penalty rule, when jumping for a header you jump with your elbows slightly flared but close to the body (watch Benzemas' jump) you don't jump with your hands fully extended out, it was a clear Pen, he should have got a good header in first time round.

Ederson as a lot of us have known for some time is a poor shot stopper, teams are now aware of this, the shot doesn't even have to be in the corner, he has cost us in big games, look at the Jota goal recently, the thought of Benzema getting even a 1/4 chance at goal could result in a goal against Ederson.

Honourable mentions to Zinchenko, Bernardo, Rodri and KdB for outstanding performances.
Pity Stones is bloody injured again. I genuinely don't want to see Laporte anywhere near the starting 11 in these big games. Maybe if we can get our fullbacks back Ake, Dias would be a sounder partnership defensively.

His defending for the Vinicus goal would have shamed a pub footballer.
1st rule of defending - deal with the immediate threat.

Pity Stones is bloody injured again. I genuinely don't want to see Laporte anywhere near the starting 11 in these big games. Maybe if we can get our fullbacks back Ake, Dias would be a sounder partnership defensively.

Stones we all know is a terrific defender, but he obviously doesn't look after himself properly, either his lifestyle or/and diet is not good enough.

I've watched the game back and I reiterate that City are the better team and should go through to the final.

A few things I noticed at second viewing in terms of individual performances was Mahrez is not combative enough, he loses most of his 50/50 duels and is physically weak on the ball, going down easily at the Bernabeu will not win us many fouls, he needs to up his intensity.

Foden lost too many balls, poor ball retention at times in City's half meant Real went straight on the counter. He lost the ball in a high pressure phase against Camavinga attempting to flick the ball over the Real Midfielders' head and then consequently gave away the free kick that led to the 3rd Madrid goal. He needs to be more composed because he will dominate Carvahal with better decision making.

Dias apart from a few poor headers and being to high up the field for Vinicius's goal had a good performance. Dias is a better defender alongside Stones, the two of them have handled Haaland, Mbappe, Neymar and Messi with relative ease in UCL games Laporte however looked flustered against Benzema.

And onto Laporte who I feel along with Ederson are major weaknesses in this team and both will be targeted at the Bernabeu. Fernandinho made the crucial error but as a defender you always have to deal with the nearest threat. He had two choices, either close down Vinicius and narrow his shooting angle (and also his passing angle back to Benzema) or, give Vinicius a clear shot on goal, he obviously chose the easier decision, time and time again he shirks his defensive responsibilities, he doesnt like to suffer doing the hard defensive things it's a recurring theme with Laporte. Remember 2 seasons ago against Brighton instead of defending diligently he chose to take out Webster and ended up with a serious meniscus injury. UCL Quarters vs Lyon he intentionally ran across Dembele to initiate contact and win a free kick instead of just defending the attacker, the less said about his performance in the Spurs UCL match the better. And I suspect, having watched the replays closely he intentionally left his arm in a prone posistion because he knew Real attackers were on the other side of him, he was relying on the head to hand non penalty rule, when jumping for a header you jump with your elbows slightly flared but close to the body (watch Benzemas' jump) you don't jump with your hands fully extended out, it was a clear Pen, he should have got a good header in first time round.

Ederson as a lot of us have known for some time is a poor shot stopper, teams are now aware of this, the shot doesn't even have to be in the corner, he has cost us in big games, look at the Jota goal recently, the thought of Benzema getting even a 1/4 chance at goal could result in a goal against Ederson.

Honourable mentions to Zinchenko, Bernardo, Rodri and KdB for outstanding performances.
Totally agree.
Said as much in the match day thread.

For me Laporte is a good player but I still doubt his temperament in high pressure games.
He is the destabilising force in our defence in these situations.

Stones we all know is a terrific defender, but he obviously doesn't look after himself properly, either his lifestyle or/and diet is not good enough.
sorry - where does this come from? He played when he shouldnt have because the team needed himn. He wasnt ready to be back yet but Pep took the gamble. Unfortunately this gamble didnt pay off? It wasnt because he was out on the lash the night before !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.