Real Madrid (A) CL Semi Final 2nd Leg - Wed 4th May, 20:00 (BST) | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing about the Champions League is that it wasn't actually called that because it was for champions but because a newspaper, The Champions, were the first sponsors.

Or is that the World Series? I get my factoids confused sometimes.

To be absolutely honest, I think you'd find that we'd sell out our allocation for the European Cup final whoever and wherever we were playing.

The old European Cup was only for Champions, not Champions and a bunch of also-rans contrived to ensure that the 'favourite' teams had the best chance of making a fortune.

The old European Cup was a knockout tournament based on the FA Cup, giving every club an equal chance of winning it. The current incarnation of the tournament gives a shit team like the rags a better chance of making a fortune than a team who actually won their national league.

It's a shit tournament, beloved most by multi millionaire club owners, TV companies and star struck football tourists.

It is what it is, so we may as well try to win it. However, I'd rather win the PL any day of the week. If we were to risk losing the PL by prioritising the CL, I'd be beyond disappointed by the club.
The rags came second in the league last year. If we come second this year on goal difference, you would rather not see us play the Champions League next year. Says it all, really.

Also, the notion that it is a “shit competition” is absolutely ridiculous. It offers every year a number of memorable games and thrilling moments. It imortalizes great sides. To claim “real fans don’t love it” goes to show how empty your points are

Funny thing about the Champions League is that it wasn't actually called that because it was for champions but because a newspaper, The Champions, were the first sponsors.

Or is that the World Series? I get my factoids confused sometimes.
The “European Cup” was actually “Coupe des Clubs Champions Européens”, basically the same thing as today

To be absolutely honest, I think you'd find that we'd sell out our allocation for the European Cup final whoever and wherever we were playing.

The old European Cup was only for Champions, not Champions and a bunch of also-rans contrived to ensure that the 'favourite' teams had the best chance of making a fortune.

The old European Cup was a knockout tournament based on the FA Cup, giving every club an equal chance of winning it. The current incarnation of the tournament gives a shit team like the rags a better chance of making a fortune than a team who actually won their national league.

It's a shit tournament, beloved most by multi millionaire club owners, TV companies and star struck football tourists.

It is what it is, so we may as well try to win it. However, I'd rather win the PL any day of the week. If we were to risk losing the PL by prioritising the CL, I'd be beyond disappointed by the club.
Disagree with all of that but it’s about opinions and I’m sure many would agree with you.

Last edited:
For all the bullshit around the "Champions " league it is ironic that a club that didnt win their league as Champions for over 30 years are then considered the best in the europe/world.
Only in football could a team that shoudlnt even be in a "Champions" league have the opportunity to compete in the competition.
Much preferred the original european cup , only the champions took part , but UEFA are only interested in the money hence the emergence of their over hyped cup.
So you think that the there would be much interest in a competion featuring around four teams who could possibly win (City, Atletico, Bayern, Inter) and a few other decent teams (Sporting, Ajax, Club Bruges, Rangers?)? Beyond that the competitors would be total no-hopers. Try selling that to the TV companies let alone to the matchgoing public?

In the meantime the re-invigorated UEFA Cup would be highly competitive with the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG, Real, Barca, Juve, Milan, Benfica, Porto, Dortmund, etc.

The main problem with the Champions League is its name.

Anyone expecting the the reintroduction of a 'Champions-only' competition is totally out of touch with reality (stuck in the 1980's)? If such a competition were established it would have lower interest than the current World Club Championship.

But they haven't have they so its rubbish when you say you have to be at your best to win Ucl or are you saying Villareal are better than Juve & Bayern.
Villarreal were certainly better at playing the competition than Juve and Bayern. That is what I think people miss. League games and knockout games SHOULD be played differently

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.