Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never knew that, my late Mum couldn’t stand Norman Wisdom but my Dad thought he was the Duck’s Nut’s, only one Telly in those days, it was like that episode of Steptoe.
Norman Wisdom was the only western performer whose films were allowed to be shown on Albanian TV under the repressive Stalinist regime of Enver Hoxha. This was because he was viewed by the authorities as a working class hero who overcame the big bad capitalist authority figures. When Albania opened up Norman went there and was mobbed by adoring fans.

Can you remember why he was there Longsight?
I’m not sure there was ever any particular reason or explanation given. He wasn’t really on TV much by then and not sure he would have been performing anywhere locally. Maybe he was just a mate of Vince ‘Mr Showbiz’ Miller or something.
He just mugged about on the pitch for a few minutes, tripping over the ball etc
Pretty sure I remember the Kippax and even the stadium announcer audibly noticed the same resemblance to a certain Peter Reid as some on here have alluded to…

Last edited:
Glad you posted that image, I've been trying to find my copy. Norman's football hero was Joe Mercer (Norman was an Arsenal fan when Joe was Captain) but in the early 90s - and remember he'd have been well into his mid 70s - he came running up the Maine Rd tunnel with that kit on.

The comment about Peter Reid was spot on - people on the Kippax near me that day were saying 'why's Peter Reid got a cap on?'

Then Norman took a few penalties at the North Stand end. Of course, he fell over and did his usual routine, but it was by far the best pre-match/half-time entertainment we've ever had.

Rick Wakeman (his neighbour in the Isle Of Man) was with him and they were in Manchester primarily for a golf tournament. But Norman came to Maine Road a few times during the early 90s.

What a star and an entertainer throughout his life.
I knew @Gary James would have the answer…

I knew @Gary James would have the answer…
I was thinking it might be a Rick Wakeman IOM connection but searching the internet I found out he was also a Brighton and Hove Albion fan and actually a director of theirs during the sixties. He was also on stage in Manchester on the day of the Munich crash and that seemed to have left a fondness with him to them.

I was thinking it might be a Rick Wakeman IOM connection but searching the internet I found out he was also a Brighton and Hove Albion fan and actually a director of theirs during the sixties. He was also on stage in Manchester on the day of the Munich crash and that seemed to have left a fondness with him to them.
Brentford surely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.