Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the Sterling/Grealish debate is centred around what we see as fans against stat output.

Sterling obviously has a far higher goals and assists output than Grealish.

Sterling‘s potential to score much higher numbers means fans get frustrated with him. In our system, he has the potential to score 25+ goals a season and 20 assists. At least.

Grealish is new to the way we play and none of us have decided what his ceiling is as of yet, so the jury is still out on Jack.

His partying antics won‘t help him have change in the bank if/when he needs some.

Grealish‘s biggest issue for me is confidence. He comes across as a lovely, relaxed lad, but I don’t think he truly believes he’s is at our level at the moment and therefore doesn’t try as much as his talent allows and plays too safe.

Get the shackles off him and he may blossom, or he may not. Either way, we’d know.

A really good letter in the F365 mailbox section highlights why I think we're going to be the clear winners in this deal.

Not only 50m for a player with 1 year left on his contract, but also a player who has never existed in a team without focal points to allow him to profit from.

At Liverpool he had Sturridge, Suarez & Coutinho, at City he's had - at different times - Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Foden, Mahrez, Yaya & Bernardo, whilst at Chelsea he'll have - up until now - Mount.

The writer of the letter writes that he'll be surprised if Sterling nets 15 this season, which I think may be about the right amount, but as the focal point of a team who have to net a nigher percentage of chances is not that good, and so, whilst i think we'll be fighting for the title again, Chelsea won't finish above the 3rd they managed this season.

Txiki - who I'm normally not the biggest fan of - has pulled a stroke sacrificing 2 non-first XI players that we would have lost for nothing next year, for 95m this year, whilst not weakening the squad.

Last edited:
A mistake is being made
Are you sure you're not just reading and believing all the crap about how city have held his career back?

I too think we're making a mistake but only because he's feared when he plays for city. I don't see that same threat when he plays for England. That and because he's coming into his prime.

I think that the Sterling/Grealish debate is centred around what we see as fans against stat output.

Sterling obviously has a far higher goals and assists output than Grealish.

Sterling‘s potential to score much higher numbers means fans get frustrated with him. In our system, he has the potential to score 25+ goals a season and 20 assists. At least.

Grealish is new to the way we play and none of us have decided what his ceiling is as of yet, so the jury is still out on Jack.

His partying antics won‘t help him have change in the bank if/when he needs some.

Grealish‘s biggest issue for me is confidence. He comes across as a lovely, relaxed lad, but I don’t think he truly believes he’s is at our level at the moment and therefore doesn’t try as much as his talent allows and plays too safe.

Get the shackles off him and he may blossom, or he may not. Either way, we’d know.
Yeah that’s a good post.

Im a Grealish fan but I feel he is desperate to please Pep and not lose the ball (which he hardly ever does)

If Pep lets the shackles off he will shine and I think we started to see that towards the end of last season.

We actually scored more goals-per-game last season in games Sterling took no part in than games he started.

Games Sterling took no part in: 2.87 goals per game
Games Sterling started: 2.56 goals per game

Our goals were not affected when Sterling was not there, we just shared them around the team more.

But drill down into the data and we scored 2.71 goals for every 90 mins he was on the pitch.
Gundogan was best with 3.01g p90

Every other forward/midfielder who played more than 1400 minutes was lower. So what do you make out of that?

My answer is in isolation it is just a nice hot take but totally meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.