Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know about that tbf. A short burst of pace over a short distance can still open up opportunities eg Sterling’s cross to Gundogan v Villa. Or someone pacy making ‘ghost runs’ in behind, off the ball and off the shoulder of a marker, can still induce a bit of chaos, keep the defender honest and distracted and create space elsewhere even against a low block
I’d say you have described acceleration, not speed there.

Look how ineffective Usain Bolt is is when playing football.

I do not understand all you Raheem haters. He has provided great service for City. I will not argue he has missed some sitters,poor one on one with the goalkeeper, and perhaps not the greatest dribbler. You can not however argue with 91 goals in 225 appearances in the position he plays.
My one concern is that some players who start their careers at a young age,18yo at Liverpool(forget QPR), peak earlier and drop off earlier.Yes there are notable exceptions, but not many.His form had dropped. Was he unhappy, did he peak early, who knows, time will tell ?
Either way, Raheem, not quite a legend, but a great player for the club.

I do not understand all you Raheem haters. He has provided great service for City. I will not argue he has missed some sitters,poor one on one with the goalkeeper, and perhaps not the greatest dribbler. You can not however argue with 91 goals in 225 appearances in the position he plays.
My one concern is that some players who start their careers at a young age,18yo at Liverpool(forget QPR), peak earlier and drop off earlier.Yes there are notable exceptions, but not many.His form had dropped. Was he unhappy, did he peak early, who knows, time will tell ?
Either way, Raheem, not quite a legend, but a great player for the club.
I genuinely don't get the hate. He can be frustrating but so can every player. We've always had players who fans like to dislike......Sterling is one, we've also had Kolarov and Dzeko who both took bucket loads of it. The one that always sticks in mind is Edgehill - that bloke to this day speaks well of City but a large section of our support gave him dog's abuse.

Last edited:
Thing is with Raheem he will always look at how everything impacts his career (so he should) it was why he joined us in the first place. I truly think we are going to see another Pep re-invention next year and beyond. Other teams have tried to copy us, tried to nullify us and the sign of a really great manager is to adapt and change quickly. Haaland and Alvarez will subtly or maybe not so subtly change how we play - Pep will have a plan and if he has already spoken to certain players about how much time they will be getting, or how key they will be then fact is the writings on the wall. Raheem may take the view that he's at the wrong stage of his career to change his style, he may well not like the prospect of spending time on the bench as we adjust. For whatever reason he may think his career will be helped by becoming a key part somewhere else. Same applies to Jesus although he would have always been a first sub on in my mind - understandable for his international aspirations he wants to be numero uno and with Haaland here he will not.

If they go both have been fundamental to our recent successes & we should be thankful of that but sport is ever evolving and it would be madness to just do the same tactics year in year out.

For those worried - We will have pace in the side but from other areas. I can see players who pass quickly and have bang on first control as being key to us going forward. Foden, Palmer, Grealish, Kev and Bernardo fit that to a tee. We have to play to these strengths to get the best out of our new strike force, pep knows that - like it or not the only area that needs improvement big time - for both Raheem and Jesus - is control/first touch and being clinical with final passes. So good luck, thanks a bunch but see you. Either way I'm not concerned but really excited about next year.

I genuinely don't get the hate. He can be frustrating but so can every player. We've always had players who fans like to dislike......Sterling is one, we've also had Kolarov and Dzeko who both took bucket loads of it. The on what always sticks in mind is Edgehill - that bloke to this day speaks well of City but a large section of our support gave him dog's abuse.
I agree. A classic example. Met him at a corporate do walking round the tables with Ian Brightwell. A lovely bloke who is clearly Blue through and through. Met the King fifteen minutes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.