Best ever atmosphere you've experienced for a City home game

Football’s changed so much that comparing matches from today with matches from the 80s isn’t comparing like with like. Year by year the parameters by which we measure a good atmosphere have been reduced so that what we might now consider a white hot atmosphere would’ve been merely pretty good back when.

Best two I was at at Maine Road were Charlton and the Maine Rd massacre, prolonged pockets of bedlam and hysteria at both games.

Best two this century by a mile were the Vinny header 1-0 and Hamburg
Hard to disagree. The 5 1 was an epic day. Glorious sunshine. Rags gonna walk it apparently (spent a fortune, £13 million if i remember correctly) carnage outside and inside the ground. Players taken off the pitch due to the trouble. We score 2 in a minute which was as mad as i ever experienced in the Kippax.

Younger blue mooners would never know what it was like on the Kippax. wasn't great all of the time, but was incredible for some of the big games, literally, temporarily lost my hearing, and then like an old radio being tuned in as it came back. memorable, Boro 76 semi, as many have already chosen Everton Q/F replay, possibly the most packed in i have ever been on the kippax, certainly more than the Charlton promotion game, which was a fantastic atmosphere. The 5-1 against Utd obviously. And many more, some totally innocuous games could be great.

Hard to disagree. The 5 1 was an epic day. Glorious sunshine. Rags gonna walk it apparently (spent a fortune, £13 million if i remember correctly) carnage outside and inside the ground. Players taken off the pitch due to the trouble. We score 2 in a minute which was as mad as i ever experienced in the Kippax.

City v Liverpool 2-1 in 2019.

Absolutely crackling throughout.

Hostile like I hadn't seen or heard since 5-1 in 89.
I have to agree about the hostility about the liverpool game. I watched it on Sky and I don't think I have ever swore so much! I really detested the bin dippers that night. On a personal note the Hamburg game was a very special night atmosphere wise. I can't put my finger on it as we have had far bigger games but that night was something else.

Thanks for finding that - never seen film of that game. But, yes what a night and Barnes was wonderful - totally destroyed their defence.
Thanks from me too. What an exciting player Peter Barnes was and yet we sold him at the end of the season. Big Joe had a good game too

My failing memory tells me it was 3-0 at Half-time. I was in the North Stand, the Sun was beating down, a beach ball was being bounced around the stands....we were going up, we were cruising...then in the second half we adopted the tactic of not crossing the half-way line and the extra time Pen was heart-breaking.

For me, City 2-1 over Stoke was an atmosphere I had not heard for a while. Was sitting in the Platt Lane, 3 rows from the front and the way the crowd got behind the team (and the way the team challenged for every single ball) was mesmeric it was the start of something very wonderful that season.
Great Post and took the wind from my sails. That Stoke second half was a run of the mill game unlike many of the other memories which were big games/events - yet that second half atmosphere willed us onto win and look what happened after that.

Too many to remember mostly all at main road Charlton promotion game was as a belter .. but for me the 5-1 machin derby day was unbelievable rags crying in the north stand when they come unstuck changed the atmosphere no mcnab and Clive Allen thought we was doomed . What a day that was .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.