Cole Palmer

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re basically saying if we play palmer or any young player then we might not win the league? You really mustn’t rate him that highly if you think the drop off will be that large. He wouldn’t be starting every game either.

He’s a first team player who more than likely performs well in most games. We could by Doku, who I don’t thinks as talented. He’s absolutely worth the ‘risk’

Pretty much. We can’t give him enough games and we presume he’ll consistently perform. He’s at a stage he needs 15-20 consecutive games.

I suspect if Palmer said he wanted to fight and stay then they’d sign him to a new deal and loan him out. If he hints he’s wanting to move or not willing to fight then he’ll be sold on with the usual sell on and buy-back clauses inserted.

The problem with that is that it's not very clear how he can fight to get back in the team if he's out on loan, and Pep isn't seeing him with his own eyes (and only getting reports on him). Look at McAtee — he was the standout player in the second half of the season at Sheffield United. And he's not getting any minutes whatsoever, even in luxury matches like the Community Shield and last night where it doesn't strike a vital blow (or any blow) against us in the league if we win or lose. And for what it's worth, to my eye (but I'm no Pep, who is?) McAtee has the most natural talent of any player coming through since Foden. Must be quite a fighter too, because no prisoners are taken in the Championship, and he's a little mite of a feller.

Too good to sit on the bench all year, not good enough to start every week. Difficult balance to strike, but if he's looking for the exit we should sell him while his stock is high. We have McAtee and Bobb as 'projects', and both have a higher ceiling than Palmer IMHO.

The one thing I will say is that Cole is a bit of a wildcard. He's not very tidy, not very consistent, can be pretty infuriating, but then comes up with a moment of magic. He really is a young Mahrez. If he can refine his game, he can be world class. But he needs games.

I love the fact we have young local lads in the squad/team but I have to give my honest opinion I don't see a great player in this lad, trust me I would be the first to admit I was wrong but I just don't get the vibe from this lad.

Too good to sit on the bench all year, not good enough to start every week. Difficult balance to strike, but if he's looking for the exit we should sell him while his stock is high. We have McAtee and Bobb as 'projects', and both have a higher ceiling than Palmer IMHO.

The one thing I will say is that Cole is a bit of a wildcard. He's not very tidy, not very consistent, can be pretty infuriating, but then comes up with a moment of magic. He really is a young Mahrez. If he can refine his game, he can be world class. But he needs games.
This!

Palmer at 21 can't be demanding first team football, when aside from the odd flash of skill here and there he hasn't proven his worth. What other team in the premier league would pick him every week too?
Think its more about getting minutes, but when Pep is so reluctant to make changes in games it probably does come down to wanting to start.
He'd be getting considerable more time than he's getting with us at most clubs, because he's got the tools to be one hell of a player and most clubs in the league aren't in our position so they would be looking to harness his potential to the max and boy will they have some player when they do.

... it might not come across but i really rate him.

If you are good enough to play for city you don’t need to openly ask for more playing time as pep would have thrown him in by now Imo.

Surely that’s different for younger players, unless you expect academy players to be instantly as good as our first team players?

Foden, Lewis, palmer all needed or need more game time to develop

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.