8 | Mateo Kovacic - 2023/24

I agree, he is getting a bit of a free ride after offering next to nothing on the pitch in terms of creativity. He is stepping into some big shoes in Gundogans but so far he is way short of fulfilling that spot. Needs to improve sharpish.

Gundo got 5-6 goals a season for us in his first 4 seasons and then 17, 10 and 11 in his final three. When we initially played Kovacic and Rodri together it was the latter who was entrusted with being more attacking and Rodri's already got 4 goals which matches his total last season and seems to be given the freedom to push forwards a bit more.

The goals will be replaced by other sources. This season has been a similar story of wasted chances and then an inability to see games out but I don't think the blame lies with Kovacic. Yes he has to improve, but it's a critical position in any team under Pep and not one you'd generally step into and flourish. Kovacic has missed a fair few games with injury and the expectation on him hasn't really given him leeway for feeling his way back into things. He's a solid midfielder but he's never going to get lots of goals, but I don't think many saw Gundogan becoming that player either initially. It was only when he had the spell as a false 9 that he started scoring regularly and even then he was getting 1 in 5 last season, he just knocked in some important ones and those stick in the mind. There were plenty of games early last season where it felt like his legs had gone and we needed a replacement!

OK, please explain what was he signed to do then. He's taking up Gundogans place ?.
He is good on the ball, can pick a pass, gets around the pitch well and can drop into any of the central midfield roles. Hes scored 19 goals in 10yrs so unless Pep has gone senile, he definitely wasn't signing him for his goal scoring ability.

Gundogan has left, he fcked the club over and hasn't looked back. Move on.

Gundo got 5-6 goals a season for us in his first 4 seasons and then 17, 10 and 11 in his final three. When we initially played Kovacic and Rodri together it was the latter who was entrusted with being more attacking and Rodri's already got 4 goals which matches his total last season and seems to be given the freedom to push forwards a bit more.

The goals will be replaced by other sources. This season has been a similar story of wasted chances and then an inability to see games out but I don't think the blame lies with Kovacic. Yes he has to improve, but it's a critical position in any team under Pep and not one you'd generally step into and flourish. Kovacic has missed a fair few games with injury and the expectation on him hasn't really given him leeway for feeling his way back into things. He's a solid midfielder but he's never going to get lots of goals, but I don't think many saw Gundogan becoming that player either initially. It was only when he had the spell as a false 9 that he started scoring regularly and even then he was getting 1 in 5 last season, he just knocked in some important ones and those stick in the mind. There were plenty of games early last season where it felt like his legs had gone and we needed a replacement!
I don't dissagree with much if any of that. The problem is when Gundog wasn't scoring or assisting early on in his career at City he was still clearly controlling the game. I just don't see Kovacic doing that, hes seems anonymous.

Yeah it’s not fair to lie all the blame for this seasons woes on kovacic, but I am simply oblivious as to what he offers. 4 premier league goals and 13 assists in 154 games, frankly isn’t good enough for someone in his position and his defence stats aren’t overly impressive either

Creativity? Look through his career stats, 4 goals and 13 assist in 154 premier league games… defence stats aren’t overly impressive either…
Yep, just a bang average PL midfielder. No idea what he has done to justify joining the Champions? Same as Nunes a panic buy.

It's never easy working things out with Pep, especially as there has been so much chopping and changing in midfield this season, but it looks to me like Kovacic is being groomed for a less attacking role now.

The recent games, he's been picking up the ball much more in our own half, and even being the player who goes back to be first out ball for the defenders. Comparing recent matches to earlier, similar, games, he's definitely getting a lot more of his touches further back. Importantly, he's doing this when Rodri is on the pitch.

Could be just a coincidence, but I wonder if his press-resistance and intelligence has put him in a position to cover for Rodri?

He is good on the ball, can pick a pass, gets around the pitch well and can drop into any of the central midfield roles. Hes scored 19 goals in 10yrs so unless Pep has gone senile, he definitely wasn't signing him for his goal scoring ability.

Gundogan has left, he fcked the club over and hasn't looked back. Move on.
He fucked the club over by moving to Barca at 33 after 7 years of great service and captaining us to the treble?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.