Holidays

Yeah, always spend the majority in riviera Maya. Tend to do 4 days at the start in Cancun then 10 days down there. Been staying at the hard rock recently but there’s a few more in and around Puerto Aventuras that I like. Ticks all the boxes for me that area and hoping to be there full time if things go to plan over next 18 months.
We normally pay around £2000/2500pp but still feel we more than get our money’s worth.
We’re going to do Secrets Maroma Beach later this year. Booked the Atelier Costa Mujeres last year which looks great - but they had a fire and we had to cancel. Some superb hotels in that part of the world and great value for money.

Mexico is fantastic, do you stay in Riviera Maya? I've been over there twice but got unlucky with food poisoning last time.

We have toyed with the idea of going over the other side to Puerto Vallarta. Prices (like everything) have crept up a lot the last 5 years or so. I remember doing 14 days at the Occidental Grand Xcaret resort in 2015 and it cost £1,350pp for flights, transfers and AI hotel. You're looking at double that now for a similar quality hotel.
We stayed at the Occidental Xcaret in 2004 and it blew our mind. So much so we went back with family members later that year and have been visiting the Riviera Maya every year since.

Going to Lisbon for a 5 night city break next month. Any must see or do's
Tram up to the castle, trip to the Torres Verdas battlefield and the landing beach where the British (mainly Irish) Army landed at the start of the peninsula campaign against Napoleon
War museum
Boat trip
Stade De Luz
Stade De Jeorge Alvade
Aquarium at the Expo centre and gondola along the coast

Tram up to the castle, trip to the Torres Verdas battlefield and the landing beach where the British (mainly Irish) Army landed at the start of the peninsula campaign against Napoleon
War museum
Boat trip
Stade De Luz
Stade De Jeorge Alvade
Aquarium at the Expo centre and gondola along the coast
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Going to Lisbon for a 5 night city break next month. Any must see or do's
Just got back after 4 days in Lisbon/Sintra.

Top tip: Do your research on where everything is before you go - the geography of the city means everything is spread out in a way that makes it different to any other city.

Top site - the Cristo Rei statue - the view from the top is the best I've seen anywhere in the world. We got an Uber from the city centre over the suspension bridge for 12 euros (you can get the ferry/bus but some of my family don't have sea legs and it was a bit rough!).

Also worth seeing: Belem Tower, The Monument of the Discoveries, Jeronimos Monastery, The Pantheon, Rua Augusta Arch/Praca Commercio, San Jorge castle (more stunning views).

Sintra was an experience - gale-force winds, driving rain and fog made the Moorish Castle an atmospheric and challenging experience!

The wooden trams are overrated - great to watch and photograph, but everybody jammed in like sardines and they crawl along like an asthmatic slug. Metro is good but doesn't cover all areas so we used Uber a lot which is very cheap for the distances involved.

Just got back after 4 days in Lisbon/Sintra.

Top tip: Do your research on where everything is before you go - the geography of the city means everything is spread out in a way that makes it different to any other city.

Top site - the Cristo Rei statue - the view from the top is the best I've seen anywhere in the world. We got an Uber from the city centre over the suspension bridge for 12 euros (you can get the ferry/bus but some of my family don't have sea legs and it was a bit rough!).

Also worth seeing: Belem Tower, The Monument of the Discoveries, Jeronimos Monastery, The Pantheon, Rua Augusta Arch/Praca Commercio, San Jorge castle (more stunning views).

Sintra was an experience - gale-force winds, driving rain and fog made the Moorish Castle an atmospheric and challenging experience!

The wooden trams are overrated - great to watch and photograph, but everybody jammed in like sardines and they crawl along like an asthmatic slug. Metro is good but doesn't cover all areas so we used Uber a lot which is very cheap for the distances involved.
Great tips, thank you for replying. I think most if not all will be on our to do list.

Great tips, thank you for replying. I think most if not all will be on our to do list.
No worries. Hope you have a great time.

Also missed the Pillar 7 experience off my list , which I thought was very good. Included in the Lisboa card, it's a lift that takes you up the side of the suspension bridge and you can stand on a glass panel over "nothing".

Will have a shedload of Sintra/Lisbon videos up on our YouTube channel with travel tips but I think that it may come a little late for your trip.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.