Kevin De Bruyne - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to start accepting for who he is.

He doesn't dictate the game like Silva, nor is he as influential. He never will be, it's not his game.

He gives you a few moments of direct, tangible brilliance each game (usually) that result in goals or assists, and that's really all that matters, that's all what you need and want.

Apart from that, he doesn't shine - he isn't bad, by any means, but he's no Silva or Fernandinho in terms of pulling the strings.

Don't really buy into the KDB v Silva argument, or KDB v anyone else. We have a number of top players with varied repertoires. I would imagine that will be food and drink to a tactically astute manager. I look forward to a shed load of goals from a number of sources.

The free kick to Dihno alone was awe inspiring to say the least. I have watched a lot of football in my time, and few things make me drop my glass. I froze watching the swerve on that ball. KDB is immense!!!

Pep asked Txiki to break Barca's transfer record to bring Ibrahimovic to the club. He wanted a different kind of player to what he was used to to change the style of the team.

It didn't work out and he bombed him after 6 months.

As much as DeBruyne is a huge talent and Pep is a big admirer of his, even taking in to consideration that Pep requested specifically that we buy him, it doesn't make him bulletproof.

If Guardiola decides that KDB isn't the right fit for the team and we have other players who are more suitable, he won't continue to pick Kev just because he was instrumental in buying him.

I actually think DeBruyne is improving this season, he was excellent against West Ham. He's not really had a pre season so is just getting up to speed with fitness and match sharpness. He's also starting to get to grips with what's needed in that number 8 role.

Guardiola has said he sees DeBruyne playing more games wide than inside. So he's going to be in competition with the revitalised Sterling, Nolito and Sané.

He'll play a load of games for us and be a key player, but the idea that he's undroppable because Pep bought him, is misguided. Look at Thiago as another example. Pep will do what's best for the team - always.
Like I have said time and time again, KDB is our Meuller. He'll play everywhere in the front 4 like Meuller did under Pep at Bayern. The idea that KDB isn't having a good seaeon is silly. He is killing it so far and getting better by the game. He'll be in full throttle by January.

Can't wait.

KdB is not Silva. Silva is not KdB. They are different players. KdB playing inside is temporary solution until Gundo is back. Pep even said it himself, he prefers KdB to play outside.
Also, Silva being effective as the free #8 also depends on the dynamics of Nolito and the left-sided CB (often Kola in this case). Clearly they hv helped too in Silva being more effective. Right now, I mean only right now, Stones or Otamendi (the right-sided CB) are not yet that effective in finding KdB between the lines and also Sterling is not yet as smart as Nolito in linking up with his #8 or his movements. The good news is it should only improve. Pep will evolve KdB to a more complete player and early signs are KdB is willing to put the effort. All the rest is BS. So pls dont panic ppl. And also, stop comparing KdB with Silva.

KdB is not Silva. Silva is not KdB. They are different players. KdB playing inside is temporary solution until Gundo is back. Pep even said it himself, he prefers KdB to play outside.
Also, Silva being effective as the free #8 also depends on the dynamics of Nolito and the left-sided CB (often Kola in this case). Clearly they hv helped too in Silva being more effective. Right now, I mean only right now, Stones or Otamendi (the right-sided CB) are not yet that effective in finding KdB between the lines and also Sterling is not yet as smart as Nolito in linking up with his #8 or his movements. The good news is it should only improve. Pep will evolve KdB to a more complete player and early signs are KdB is willing to put the effort. All the rest is BS. So pls dont panic ppl. And also, stop comparing KdB with Silva.
Errr! As one of KDB's biggest fans, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with some of your claims. Sure Nolito's movement and Hustle helps SIlva on the left side and it is much more intricate than Sterling's movement on the right, but the CB stuff doesn't hold water. It's Silva's movement that creates the lanes for the CB's to pass into. Stones is infinitely better than Kolarov at finding passing lanes, so his lack of connection with Debryune has more to do with Debryune doing less to get open in the middle for a pass than Stones or Ota having a harder time vis a vis Kolarov.

Silva just moves better in between spaces than Debryune does in the middle. At the same time, Debryune moves better than Silva on the offensive end. I've seen him make 3 line breaking runs in the last 2 games that were just exquisite. Didn't get the ball on any of the runs, but down the line he will. Silva comes short more often and Debryune goes long more so than not. If you were to ask me, I'd say this is probably by design.

I'm backing Debryune to have a Stellar season when it is all said and done.

Like I have said time and time again, KDB is our Meuller. He'll play everywhere in the front 4 like Meuller did under Pep at Bayern. The idea that KDB isn't having a good seaeon is silly. He is killing it so far and getting better by the game. He'll be in full throttle by January.

Can't wait.

And as I've said time and time again, Muller got dropped for Bayern's biggest game of the season. Not because he wasn't having a good season, but because he didn't fit in to the shape that Pep wanted to play.

DeBruyne will be a key player for us, but there may be the odd game where Guardiola won't pick him for tactical reasons, just like he did with Muller.

DeBruyne has done ok so far this season, he was excellent against West Ham, approaching Silva's standard this season. As you say there is plenty of room for him to improve and I can't wait to see it either.

Like I have said time and time again, KDB is our Meuller. He'll play everywhere in the front 4 like Meuller did under Pep at Bayern.
Bad example. IMO, given the full power, Pep would have booted mr. Big Mouth out immediately. But Bayern board would never allow it even if they (hypothetically) wanted to - they are hostages of the press, fans and club's 'pure German way' image.
Pep has no any visible restrictions here. Big difference.

Last edited:
Errr! As one of KDB's biggest fans, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with some of your claims. Sure Nolito's movement and Hustle helps SIlva on the left side and it is much more intricate than Sterling's movement on the right, but the CB stuff doesn't hold water. It's Silva's movement that creates the lanes for the CB's to pass into. Stones is infinitely better than Kolarov at finding passing lanes, so his lack of connection with Debryune has more to do with Debryune doing less to get open in the middle for a pass than Stones or Ota having a harder time vis a vis Kolarov.

Silva just moves better in between spaces than Debryune does in the middle. At the same time, Debryune moves better than Silva on the offensive end. I've seen him make 3 line breaking runs in the last 2 games that were just exquisite. Didn't get the ball on any of the runs, but down the line he will. Silva comes short more often and Debryune goes long more so than not. If you were to ask me, I'd say this is probably by design.

I'm backing Debryune to have a Stellar season when it is all said and done.

Sure Silva is naturally more suited to play between the lines. But that wasnt my point. The whole point was to see KdB's performance from overall perspective - not to compare with Silva individually. The point in bold: so far, this season, there has been no evidence to support your claim. We are not talking potential here, which is a subjective opinion. Stones is still getting to grips with moving forward and his passing is still lacking the bite that Kolarov has shown so far. Kolarov's passes between the lines show such zip, nobody even comes close. Of course KdB is not a natural between the lines. But, movement and passing decisions in his side of the pitch havent helped either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.